Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help with transfer speed change from camera to 'puter

rfc143

US
71 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rfc143 Registered since 03rd Mar 2011
Tue 06-Nov-12 10:56 PM

I've been successfully moving images from the D7000 to my MacbookPro for ages. Always shoot RAW, but even so I have never waited more than a few seconds per image to move to Aperture.

Now, for some reason, it's taking more than 15-20 seconds per image. Only thing I think I've done since the last time is re-format the cards, and I did that in the camera.

Could this have messed things up? Any other ideas or things I can try to restore the speed?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Chris Platt

Newburg, US
481 posts

#1. "RE: Help with transfer speed change from camera to 'puter" | In response to Reply # 0

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012
Wed 07-Nov-12 01:45 PM

Reformatting the cards in the camera would not cause that. I always reformat in the camera after every import into Aperture. I'd looks at the MacBook. Have you applied any upgrades recently to either Aperture or the OS on your MacBook?

You might get more answers in the Apple Post Processing forum.

Visit my gallery.

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7074 posts

#2. "RE: Help with transfer speed change from camera to 'puter" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Wed 07-Nov-12 01:53 PM

Are you using a card reader or transfering directly from the camera?

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

greenwing

Yorkshire, UK
1304 posts

#3. "RE: Help with transfer speed change from camera to 'puter" | In response to Reply # 0

greenwing Registered since 18th May 2006
Wed 07-Nov-12 06:22 PM

I've had problems (not on Mac) with antivirus software deciding to check every file that is opened, every time it's opened. That caused a huge slowdown until I turned it off for most of my discs & USB devices.

Chris

rfc143

US
71 posts

#4. "RE: Help with transfer speed change from camera to 'puter" | In response to Reply # 3

rfc143 Registered since 03rd Mar 2011
Thu 08-Nov-12 09:48 AM

I'm transferring directly via the USB cable. Nothing's changed. I'll do a test, bringing them into a PC I have (using NXview or something similar). Very odd.

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#5. "RE: Help with transfer speed change from camera to 'puter" | In response to Reply # 4

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Thu 08-Nov-12 01:09 PM

The problem with using the camera's USB connection is that the camera has a slow USB port, most card readers are faster, and the camera is forced to remain awake and the camera is not being powered by the computer but by the camera's battery so the transfer will fail if the battery goes dead.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

mudman2

Jamison, US
188 posts

#6. "RE: Help with transfer speed change from camera to 'puter" | In response to Reply # 5

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009
Thu 08-Nov-12 07:19 PM

I have seen many issues with USB data transfers mostly on PC's in most cases its been a faulty cable not registering properly as USB2 and defaulting to USB1 which is much slower

try another cable

luckyphoto

Port Charlotte, US
1052 posts

#7. "RE: Help with transfer speed change from camera to 'puter" | In response to Reply # 4

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010
Thu 08-Nov-12 07:20 PM | edited Sat 10-Nov-12 11:00 AM by luckyphoto

You might consider buying a good USB card reader. They're about $10-15. If you get good performance from that it may be a faulty USB cable or connectors are causing errors which are requiring re-transmissions.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

G