Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Wrong Metadata on D7000 Images

Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US
762 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bravozulu Registered since 04th Jun 2012
Thu 11-Oct-12 11:51 PM

I have three SB strobes. When I shoot with the SB700 speedlight in the hotshoe, the image date shows the correct strobe.

But when I use either of 2 SB800 strobes in the shoe, the Metadata attached to the images indicates that I'm using an SB600 flash.

All the connectors are cleaned with alcohol. Should I care about this discrepancy? Could something else be amiss with the strobe/camera interface?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

N4TVC

Burke, US
109 posts

#1. "RE: Wrong Metadata on D7000 Images" | In response to Reply # 0

N4TVC Registered since 15th Jul 2006
Fri 12-Oct-12 12:01 PM

BZ, I just verified that my metadata shows "SB-800" on my photos when my SB800 is in the hot shoe.

Let us know what you find.

Charles

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3571 posts

#2. "RE: Wrong Metadata on D7000 Images" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 12-Oct-12 04:21 PM

If any data is being registered at all, communications is probably OK between the body and SB800's. A quick look at firmware versions for the SB800 or D7000 did not turn up a "fix" related to that problem.
Obviously one of life's true mysteries....;>)
I doubt there is a operational problem since there was good compatibilty between the SB600 and SB800.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US
762 posts

#3. "RE: Wrong Metadata on D7000 Images" | In response to Reply # 2

Bravozulu Registered since 04th Jun 2012
Fri 12-Oct-12 05:49 PM | edited Fri 12-Oct-12 05:51 PM by Bravozulu

In an odd way, I sort of answered my own question when I took tripod photos with all 3 strobes. Same camera strobe settings. All 3 images came out identical.

So that tells me it probably doesn't matter. And my camera was new in April. Only one update on the camera firmware, one update on lens firmware for the 16-86mm lens.

Thanks

G