Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Low light photography

adribyers

Kailua, US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
adribyers Registered since 29th Feb 2012
Thu 26-Apr-12 07:58 AM

Ok, I'm new to photography and I love it, I think I'm doing ok on daylight pictures, but I have no idea what kinda settings to use for a low light situation like inside of a submarine, any help will be appreciated.

luckyphoto

Port Charlotte, US
1055 posts

#1. "RE: Low light photography" | In response to Reply # 0

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010
Thu 26-Apr-12 10:56 AM

Welcome to the Nikonians and thanks for posting your question. Low light photography can be approached in many different ways depending upon the subject you want to capture and the surrounding environment.

You should consider getting some books, DVDs or similar on exposure to better understand the challenges of low light photography.

A good read is Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" There is a whole chapter about low light photography. It's available on Amazon and several of the camera web sites.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7108 posts

#2. "RE: Low light photography" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Thu 26-Apr-12 05:26 PM

A good support system is needed to keep the camera still during the longer shutter speeds. While a tripod may not be allowed, you can try leaning against walls and bulkheads.

Increasing the ISO will allow for shorter shutter speeds since the camera will need less light. However digital noise will become apparent in the shadows.

A wide aperture (small f number) will shorten the shutter speed but also narrow the depth of field of items in focus. A small aperture (big f number) will give you more items in focus but require a longer shutter speed.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

ChrisPlatt

US
515 posts

#3. "RE: Low light photography" | In response to Reply # 0

ChrisPlatt Registered since 04th Jun 2011
Fri 27-Apr-12 11:18 AM

And of course there is your flash. With the confined spaces inside a submarine, you should be able to get some very interesting effects by using your SB 600 off camera and controlling it remotely with your onboard flash in commander mode.

Visit my gallery.

mudman2

Jamison, US
188 posts

#4. "RE: Low light photography" | In response to Reply # 3

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009
Fri 27-Apr-12 02:00 PM

You should be good inside the boat with your ISO slightly elevated, set it at about 800, obviously your lens needs to be decent but a kit lens should be ok for most things in there

Make sure you have permission haha, unless your sick of reading the spetznaz training manual and are looking for more hands on training

adribyers

Kailua, US
2 posts

#5. "RE: Low light photography" | In response to Reply # 4

adribyers Registered since 29th Feb 2012
Sun 29-Apr-12 02:16 AM | edited Sun 29-Apr-12 02:17 AM by adribyers

Thank you All for the tips, and yes I do have permission by the skipper of the Sub

Cousin

Geelong East, AU
152 posts

#6. "RE: Low light photography" | In response to Reply # 1

Cousin Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2011
Sun 29-Apr-12 08:28 AM

adribyers, I'll second luckyphotos endorsement of Bryan Petersons book, 'Understanding Exposure'.
I struggled to understand manual settings and their relationship with each other
I'm only around one third of the way through that book (about $8 on Amazon Kindle, can read it anytime on my phone or tablet) but I now prefer manual setting so I can control most of the pic.
Definately the best book I've read so far on photography, will help you understand low light photography.

M

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#7. "RE: Low light photography" | In response to Reply # 5

chroaz Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009
Mon 30-Apr-12 07:01 PM | edited Mon 30-Apr-12 07:01 PM by chroaz

Don't know whether you subscribe to Lynda.com - but just in case you do, Ben Long has quite a good 4 hour course on Low Light Photography (and Exposure too for that matter). No experience in Submarines though!

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

G