Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Scary SD card lesson

ziggy7

Orange Park, US
13 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ziggy7 Registered since 31st Oct 2008
Wed 23-Nov-11 09:22 AM

Somehow a 4GB SD card with D40 images on it got mixed up with the fresh ones. I put it into my D7000 and it said "this card contains no images". Fortunately, I did not format the card or make any photos. Later, my daughter needed a small card for her D40 and I gave her that one. She put it into her D40 and then informed me that there were a bunch of images on it.
I think the D7000 firmware should have told me there were D40 images on the card instead of lying to me. So now I know I'll have to check cards in the computer because the cameras will lie.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

plaiditude

Winnipeg, CA
31 posts

#1. "RE: Scary SD card lesson" | In response to Reply # 0

plaiditude Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2011
Wed 23-Nov-11 11:13 AM

This depends on a setting in the camera. Look through the menu's, there is a place that you can set it to either display one folder or all. I have mine set to show all so that this doesn't happen.

Visit my website.

RockyIII

Raleigh, US
3272 posts

#2. "RE: Scary SD card lesson" | In response to Reply # 1

RockyIII Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 27th May 2006
Wed 23-Nov-11 12:52 PM

Yep, that setting is in the Playback Menu.

Rocky

mdallie

Novi, US
238 posts

#3. "RE: Scary SD card lesson" | In response to Reply # 2

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Wed 23-Nov-11 08:09 PM

Thanks for this. I've never had an issue and I thought I had went through every setting in the menus, but I had not and mine was set to D7000. I could have run into the same thing, but now I won't.

Mike

RockyIII

Raleigh, US
3272 posts

#4. "RE: Scary SD card lesson" | In response to Reply # 3

RockyIII Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 27th May 2006
Wed 23-Nov-11 09:11 PM

I think that setting should default to all folders. I also think that custom menu setting f8, slot empty release lock, should default to lock to prevent taking shots without a memory card.

Rocky

DeanAZ

Phoenix, US
4176 posts

#5. "RE: Scary SD card lesson" | In response to Reply # 4

DeanAZ Gold Member Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007
Wed 23-Nov-11 11:44 PM

Set up the camera to your preferences and save the settings to the SD card. I keep a tiny SD card (32MB) for just that purpose in my kit bag. I also store my custom picture controls and the most recent firmware on the card so I always have it with me. Also transfer the settings to your computer for safe keeping.

In fact I never format my SD cards. I don't believe that it solves more problems than it creates. I just have the files erased after they are copied to my PC. The things that you can do to corrupt a memory card are not mitigated by periodic formatting and I prefer to have my settings saved on my larger memory cards as well to return them back to my default shooting settings.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA

Time-Lapse: Vimeo-Dean Andersen

SaurianFire

US
145 posts

#6. "RE: Scary SD card lesson" | In response to Reply # 5

SaurianFire Registered since 10th Feb 2011
Thu 24-Nov-11 12:40 AM

Other than managing Picture Control how about using the U1 and U2 settings on the mode dial???

Respectfully,
Frank

DeanAZ

Phoenix, US
4176 posts

#7. "RE: Scary SD card lesson" | In response to Reply # 6

DeanAZ Gold Member Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007
Thu 24-Nov-11 02:17 AM

I consider the settings file I keep on the SD card my "U3" settings. Ido use the U1 & U2 positions but just as I can flip to U1 or U2 and have the camera in a known state, I can also load the settings file and I am in my third default known state.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA

Time-Lapse: Vimeo-Dean Andersen

G