Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Flash Unit for D7000

stanflyfisher

US
64 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
stanflyfisher Registered since 30th Nov 2007
Wed 28-Sep-11 12:03 AM

Hello,

Which flash unit would you recommend for use with the d7000? I shoot outdoors most of the time and at sunset and indoors a little less frequently. Thanks for your recommendation.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kentak

US
952 posts

#1. "RE: Flash Unit for D7000" | In response to Reply # 0

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010
Wed 28-Sep-11 12:16 AM

Obviously the SB900 is the full-featured powerhouse, with a price to match. I have the SB600 and SB700. Both would serve you well for fading daylight and indoor use. I like the much more user-friendly controls on the SB700. If you're so inclined, you'll love the ability of either of these flashes to work remotely with the D7000's onboard flash in commander mode.

Kent

billD80

US
2241 posts

#2. "RE: Flash Unit for D7000" | In response to Reply # 1

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007
Wed 28-Sep-11 07:17 PM

Though discontinued, the SB-600 has performed well for me since 2007. I hear good things about the SB-700...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

#3. "RE: Flash Unit for D7000" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Thu 29-Sep-11 02:36 PM

If you need the power and focusing of the beam out to 200mm field of view, the SB900 is just the perfect solution. If you are primarily using fill flash with primary subject nearer to you, the SB700 will do almost all of what its big brother does. I have two SB900 and a Sigma EF530 Super. For normal use either model does fine despite the wide price difference. When you need to use a flash closer to its limits or using a power robbing modifiers like softboxes, or have more control of the light due to wider and narrower focusing range, the SB900 is hard to beat. My only quibble is that the flash Compensation value display is tiny so hard to read in the dark or from a distance. That is the only complaint, everything else makes the SB900 the best flash of its type.
The only one that in some cases is better(more power and staying cooler in rapid shooting) is the much more expensive Quantum flash with their external battery pack.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

mikesrc

OKLAHOMA CITY, US
299 posts

#4. "RE: Flash Unit for D7000" | In response to Reply # 3

mikesrc Registered since 03rd May 2009
Fri 30-Sep-11 09:40 AM

When I bought my D7K I was going light weight so I'm using the SB400 which works very well when I need a flash.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#5. "RE: Flash Unit for D7000" | In response to Reply # 4

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Fri 30-Sep-11 11:47 AM

I still use my SB800
Even though discontinued,
it is more than adequate for any of my uses.

BassOverflow

US
419 posts

#6. "RE: Flash Unit for D7000" | In response to Reply # 0

BassOverflow Registered since 07th Apr 2007
Fri 30-Sep-11 06:29 PM

Just go with the SB900 and be done with it.

~Joe in Western NC

My Nikonians Gallery.

gbowen

Canton, US
1111 posts

#7. "RE: Flash Unit for D7000" | In response to Reply # 0

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011
Sat 01-Oct-11 11:42 AM

I have an SB-600 and a 700, both are great. 700 is becoming my go to unit though, with the 600 used as fill on occasion in a multi flash setup. The 900 is too expensive. I'd say go for the 700.

George

mdallie

Novi, US
238 posts

#8. "RE: Flash Unit for D7000" | In response to Reply # 0

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Sun 02-Oct-11 09:21 AM

When I bought my D7000 (my first Nikon), I wanted to make sure I had enough power, but the SB900 was too big and heavy. I bought a used SB800 and it has really worked out well.

Mike

G