Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Exposure mode dial fix

Holmes375

RO
1523 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Holmes375 Registered since 09th Sep 2006
Thu 07-Jul-11 03:02 AM

The exposure mode dial is my biggest complaint with the ergonomics of the D7K. I work out of holster bags and dry bags, often in kayaks and canoes. I've had many occasions where I've changed my exposure mode unknowingly during my draw from such bags. Additionally, I've knocked the dial off when using larger lenses in the vertical mode.

Since I switch between aperture priority and manual exposure often using gaffer tape was an inconvenient fix. Tried various O-rings and rubber bands without success.

I've finally come up with something that seems to work quite nicely - heat shrink tubing. I had a package of assorted diameters in my tool box, the largest being just slightly greater than 3/4" in diameter. Using an Exacto knife I removed a 3/16" wide section of this tubing and stretched it over the mode dial using a pair of forceps. The fit was quite snug but I applied a bit of heat via a heat gun at its low setting. This was just enough to cause the shrink tubing to snug right into the knurled dial and conform to the slight taper of the dial.

There's no interference with either upper or lower dials and the upper exposure mode dial know longer has the exposed knurled surface that so easily grabs any material it came into contact with. The dial now has a rather slick surface allowing it to slide instead of grab.

I've been using this for several days now with no disruptions in any of my bags that were previously causing consistent accidents.

I'm much happier with this simple little modification.

Cheers!

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

-Holmes
http://holmes.zenfolio.com/

mdallie

Novi, US
238 posts

#1. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix" | In response to Reply # 0

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Thu 07-Jul-11 08:31 AM

When you applied the heat, was the band already on the camera? (I am worried about melting the camera).

Where do you get the bands?

Mike

pdekman

Swisher, US
1058 posts

#2. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix" | In response to Reply # 0

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Winner in the Annual Nikonians Best Images Contest 2015 Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005
Thu 07-Jul-11 09:54 AM

Great thinking! Not obvious to change the surface friction rather than the dial force. The mod looks good too. Nicely done and thanks for sharing. (now... must find heat shrink tubing in Nikon red)

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

blw

Richmond, US
28561 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#3. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix" | In response to Reply # 1

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Thu 07-Jul-11 11:27 AM

Heat shrink tubing is meant to be heated after it is in place, so yes, it must have already been on. You shouldn't need to worry about melting the camera as (a) the heat isn't all that high - under 100C - and (b) it doesn't take very long at all - seconds - especially for thinner tubes.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

mdallie

Novi, US
238 posts

#4. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix" | In response to Reply # 3

Thu 07-Jul-11 12:12 PM

What did you use to heat the tubing? I'm thinking my propane torch is a bad idea.

Mike

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#5. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix" | In response to Reply # 4

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Thu 07-Jul-11 03:12 PM

The electrical heat shrink tubing is designed to shrink with the use of an electric heat gun or or even a hair dryer. In a pinch one could even use a match.

A propane torch could very easily set the tubing afire.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

mdallie

Novi, US
238 posts

#6. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix" | In response to Reply # 5

Thu 07-Jul-11 03:46 PM

Thanks. the hair dryer sounds like it will work for me.

Mike

jmiguez

Lafayette, US
534 posts

#7. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix" | In response to Reply # 2

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010
Fri 08-Jul-11 09:57 AM

That is a brilliant idea! I too have had issues with the dial getting moved without my knowledge.

Paul, you can get heat shrink tubing in red. However, it is a duller red than Nikon's. Maybe Gold?

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#8. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix" | In response to Reply # 7

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Fri 08-Jul-11 03:38 PM

This tubing comes in colors to match the colors available for electrical wiring plus transparent/clear. Home HEAT SHRINK TUBING Thin Wall 2:1 in 14 sizes and 9 colors.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

mborn1

Taunton, US
222 posts

#9. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix" | In response to Reply # 0

mborn1 Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2008
Sat 09-Jul-11 08:27 AM

Neat idea. I did send my camera back to Nikon for that reason and they fixed it so it now rarely happens

Myer
Photo Bee1
http://photobee1.blogspot.com/
http://photobee1.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#10. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix" | In response to Reply # 0

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Sat 09-Jul-11 04:34 PM

Brilliant!

Thanks,

Rob

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#11. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix" | In response to Reply # 4

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Sat 09-Jul-11 04:34 PM

YIKES!

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10532 posts

#12. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Fri 09-Sep-11 06:34 PM

I missed this post earlier. Thanks so much for posting - and Brian - thanks for the link.

I have had the camera mode change inadvertently on 5 occasions over 10 days of shooting. The first 3 times is cost me 10-20 images - I may be slow but I finally started checking the dial. This looks to be a good solution.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

carpemoment

Raleigh, US
282 posts

#13. "RE: Exposure mode dial fix" | In response to Reply # 12

carpemoment Registered since 17th Dec 2009
Sat 10-Sep-11 01:56 PM

FYI, I had to send my D7K in for service. I forgot to mention the dial. When it came back, my dial was "tightened." It has more distinct resistance so it is apparently a simple adjustment.

Visit www.carpemoment.com>.

or http://gary-adkins.fineartamerica.com

G