Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Ai Nikkor lens compatibility

jla930

Imperial, US
17 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jla930 Registered since 28th Jun 2013
Sun 30-Jun-13 05:55 PM

I just purchased a D5100 camera. I was told that the lenses I have that were used with my old Nikon FE2 SLR camera could be used with the new camera, although there obviously wouldn't be any autofocus function.

I have a couple Ai Nikkor bayonet mount lenses that I used with the FE2 aperture priority camera. Can I use these lenses with the D5100, and use the D5100 in aperture priority mode? I am fully prepared to manually focus the lenses.

benveniste

Boston Area, US
10300 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#1. "RE: Ai Nikkor lens compatibility" | In response to Reply # 0

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous suppport to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002
Sun 30-Jun-13 04:13 PM

With the D5100, you can use non-CPU lenses in unmetered manual mode only.

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

jla930

Imperial, US
17 posts

#2. "RE: Ai Nikkor lens compatibility" | In response to Reply # 1

Sun 30-Jun-13 04:22 PM

Thank you for your reply.

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#3. "RE: Ai Nikkor lens compatibility" | In response to Reply # 0

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Sun 30-Jun-13 05:15 PM | edited Sun 30-Jun-13 05:18 PM by Leonard62

Another consideration when using AI lenses with the D5100 is you can't use the built in flash or external flash in TTL mode. But you can use manual flash mode or if you have an external flash which can operate in non-TTL Auto mode you can use that.

I use my D5100 and D3200 with AI and even non-AI lenses all the time. The reason you can use non-AI lenses is the D5100 doesn't have the AI meter coupling lever which interferes on the more advanced bodies that accept AI lenses.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jla930

Imperial, US
17 posts

#4. "RE: Ai Nikkor lens compatibility" | In response to Reply # 3

Sun 30-Jun-13 05:59 PM

Thank you.

G