Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Sign up Login
Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
jyeagley3

Hummelstown, US
13 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
jyeagley3 Registered since 30th Sep 2011
Tue 08-May-12 04:07 PM

I'm still really new with my Nikon D3100 Camera and wanted to take some important pictures of my granddaughter in chorus last evening at the Hershey High School Auditorium. Man did I screw up. I was using the Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 55-300mm 1:4.5-5-6GED zoomed to about 250mm and using the Nikon SB-400 Flash. (I was near the back of the auditorium)
Not sure where or what I did wrong but the pictures all came out with "silver" eyes such as the attachment I'm going to try to post. This was a once and done opportunity for these pictures and I have searched the internet and looked everywhere I know to look for a fix for this and have had no luck.
Anyone that can help this grandpappy will make him very happy!
I patiently await help
Jerry

Click on image to view larger version


Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

aolander

Nevis, US
3983 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: Nikon D3100 HELP" | In response to Reply # 0

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006
Tue 08-May-12 04:27 PM

It's a variation of "red-eye" due to the flash being too near the lens. You need to get a larger flash for distance shooting and get it up on a bracket to get it up away from the camera. That way the light from the flash doesn't reflect off of the retina straight back at the camera.

To fix these photos, many photo editors can correct "red-eye". Not sure if Picasa does, but it's a free photo editing program.

http://picasa.google.com/

Alan

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#2. "RE: Nikon D3100 HELP" | In response to Reply # 1

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Wed 09-May-12 04:52 AM | edited Wed 09-May-12 04:52 AM by jpFoto



Deleted by author


jyeagley3

Hummelstown, US
13 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#3. "RE: Nikon D3100 HELP" | In response to Reply # 1

jyeagley3 Registered since 30th Sep 2011
Wed 09-May-12 05:35 AM

Yes, I have Picasa, even had an update to it and I can find nothing to help me out. Is this condition called "flare". I have a Nikon HB-57 Lens Hood that Nikon says will:
By reducing the amount of non-essential light falling onto the front lens element, lenses can better achieve their optimum optical performance, producing more saturated images.
Use of specifically engineered Nikon lens hoods is highly recommended.
In less-than-ideal lighting conditions, the performance difference can be substantial.
Do you think using this will help avoid the condition I experienced?

Thanks for the help
Jerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD

US
31623 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#4. "RE: Nikon D3100 HELP" | In response to Reply # 3

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Wed 09-May-12 01:47 PM

Hi Jerry,

No!
The problem with your image is Red Eye, not Flare or Ghosting.
That said, I Always use a lens hood and recommend that you do the same though it will not prevent red eye.

Red Eye is a result of the light projected by the flash reflecting from the back of the subjects eye back to the camera. Since your SB-400 has a very low profile the center line of the flash is very close to the centerline of the lens. This allows the light to go through the subjects pupils and reflect directly (180 degrees) back to the sensor. Using a telephoto lens makes the problem worse. Even an SB-900 ( which has a much higher profile) will produce red eye when using direct flash and a long lens.
The best way to eliminate red eye is to turn up the ISO and not use flash.
When using flash is the only option use bounce flash or use a flash bracket or hold the flash in your hand (with an SC-28 or SC-29 TTL extension cord) to get the flash unit high above the lens. The longer the focal length, the higher above the lens you must be. That way the light can not reflect directly back to the sensor. You can also try using Red Eye Reduction mode so the Speedlight fires a few pre flashes to close the subjects pupils which may or may not be effective. (I never use it).
Getting closer and using a wider focal length would help also.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

jyeagley3

Hummelstown, US
13 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#5. "RE: Nikon D3100 HELP" | In response to Reply # 3

jyeagley3 Registered since 30th Sep 2011
Thu 31-May-12 01:16 PM

>Yes, I have Picasa, even had an update to it and I can find
>nothing to help me out. Is this condition called
>"flare". I have a Nikon HB-57 Lens Hood that Nikon
>says will:
>By reducing the amount of non-essential light falling onto the
>front lens element, lenses can better achieve their optimum
>optical performance, producing more saturated images.
>Use of specifically engineered Nikon lens hoods is highly
>recommended.
>In less-than-ideal lighting conditions, the performance
>difference can be substantial.
>Do you think using this will help avoid the condition I
>experienced?
>
>Thanks for the help
>Jerry
Without trying it I'm not sure and I messed up enough pictures. Never did get the ones I posted corrected. What will turning the red eye on the camera itself and leaving it on all the time do?
Thanks for the help
Jerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD

US
31623 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#6. "RE: Nikon D3100 HELP" | In response to Reply # 5

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Thu 31-May-12 02:26 PM

Hi Jerry,

> What will turning the red eye on the camera itself and leaving it on all> the time do?

Red eye reduction mode fires the Speedlight a few times before the shutter opens causing the subjects pupils to close and reduces the chance of red-eye. It also causes a delay between pressing the shutter release button and the shutter opening. Red eye reduction is more effective when using a normal lens at distances up to about 10 feet or so.
When the ambient light level is very low like in your sample image. Add to that the 250mm focal length and the flash to subject distance your SB-400 Speedlight didn't have enough power for a correct exposure so red eye reduction mode would not help. For it to be effective, you would have to be shooting at about 50mm or wider and be at or close to the front row.
If you had significantly more flash power bouncing the flash off of the ceiling would be significantly more effective then red eye reduction mode.

The bottom line when using on camera direct flash with a telephoto lens red eye will be a major problem even if Red eye reduction mode is on.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

jyeagley3

Hummelstown, US
13 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#7. "RE: Nikon D3100 HELP" | In response to Reply # 6

jyeagley3 Registered since 30th Sep 2011
Fri 01-Jun-12 06:26 PM

>Hi Jerry,
>
>> What will turning the red eye on the camera itself and
>leaving it on all> the time do?
>
>Red eye reduction mode fires the Speedlight a few times before
>the shutter opens causing the subjects pupils to close and
>reduces the chance of red-eye. It also causes a delay between
>pressing the shutter release button and the shutter opening.
>Red eye reduction is more effective when using a normal lens
>at distances up to about 10 feet or so.
>When the ambient light level is very low like in your sample
>image. Add to that the 250mm focal length and the flash to
>subject distance your SB-400 Speedlight didn't have enough
>power for a correct exposure so red eye reduction mode would
>not help. For it to be effective, you would have to be
>shooting at about 50mm or wider and be at or close to the
>front row.
>If you had significantly more flash power bouncing the flash
>off of the ceiling would be significantly more effective then
>red eye reduction mode.
>
>The bottom line when using on camera direct flash with a
>telephoto lens red eye will be a major problem even if Red eye
>reduction mode is on.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!
>
>
Well thanks for the information. I'm going to have to take a little time and find a way to print all these helpful posts.
(I am enjoying the Nikon)
Thanks again
Jerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

WD4MLA

Sylva, US
951 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#8. "RE: Nikon D3100 HELP" | In response to Reply # 0

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002
Fri 01-Jun-12 06:33 PM

Jerry

I have Picasa 3, which is a free download and it has Redeye Correction. It is under the Wrench Icon. I have never used it but it is worth a try.

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

G