Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What accessories should I buy first for my new D5100?

thecatmac

Southeast Michigan, US
9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
thecatmac Registered since 26th Nov 2011
Tue 20-Dec-11 08:40 PM

Hi everybody! I am looking at buying some accessories for this new hobby and could use some of your expertise. I bought the camera at Ritz camera shop and will take their introductory classes as well as one specifically for the D5100 in January. Got a feeling my wife is going to use this camera quite a bit, she is a dog trainer and every time a dog/puppy "graduates" from her class, she takes pictures of them and posts them online for the owners. So far I have bought the following:
2-Nikon bags, one large, one small.
1-Rocketfish carbon fiber monopad Model: RF-MONO70C
1-cleaning kit
2-8 gig class 10 memory cards
2-lens protectors, for my 18-55 lens that came with the camera and my 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED lens.
Two items I have been looking at is a Speedlight and a WIFI-PRO X2 memory card. I also want to invest in a macro lens, just love those close-up's you all post on this site!!

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#1. "RE: What accessories should I buy first for my new D5100?" | In response to Reply # 0

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Tue 20-Dec-11 09:55 PM

Hi Tim,
You now have a great camera and very good lenses. It sounds like photography is a new experience for you. My first advice is not to get caught up in the moment and buy a lot of stuff that won't make you a better photographer and improve your photos. Your classes are a good start.

As for gear here is what I would recommend.

If you plan on taking close-up photos with a macro lens, you'll need a good tripod. Save up for one. Also try your 18-55 lens for close-ups. You might be surprised.

A good flash is a good investment. Have you tried the built in flash?

Do you really need a WI-FI card? A current card reader for your computer may be more useful.

In any case enjoy your new equipment. It can be quite satisfying.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Magnum164

US
106 posts

#2. "RE: What accessories should I buy first for my new D5100?" | In response to Reply # 0

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011
Tue 20-Dec-11 11:34 PM

This was taken with the basic D5100 and standard lens. While it was a quick snapshot I find the hardest thing is getting the animals to sit while you focus. If I had used the camera flash, this pic might have been better. And I had no idea what the camera was set at, it was truly remove lens cover and click.

The reason I post that is you can do a lot with the basic camera and lens. I have money burning a hole in my pocket as well, but will probably spend it on a backup camera.

Only real special lenses I have bought (so far) is a Sigma 10-20 F3.5 for some neat up close photos of cars and a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 that I bought with my old D50 as I needed it for taking football pictures. Well, and the Nikon 70-200 as a Kit(2) lens when I bought the D5100.

Good luck. But as I see posted on here a lot, play a lot first with the basic then you find what you really need.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7066 posts

#3. "RE: What accessories should I buy first for my new D5100?" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Wed 21-Dec-11 12:37 AM

Not knowing what is in the "cleaning kit", a Giottos Rocket Blower would be a good thing as would an extra battery.

Take some time (and that class) to learn the camera and lenses. Then with that knowledge you can start to figure out what you want/need for more equipment.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

thecatmac

Southeast Michigan, US
9 posts

#4. "RE: What accessories should I buy first for my new D5100?" | In response to Reply # 3

thecatmac Registered since 26th Nov 2011
Wed 21-Dec-11 10:17 AM

I see just about everybody here has a Giottos Rocket Blower, and another battery would be a must also. Thanks for the advise, I will also look into a nice tripod also. Just need to keep reading and get those classes taken soon and go from there...thanks all!!

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#5. "RE: What accessories should I buy first for my new D5100?" | In response to Reply # 4

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Tue 27-Dec-11 01:03 PM

If I were you, I would invest in a TriPod with Movie head and an Azden SMX-10 stereo mic.
It is possible get some really good HD 1080P clips at 30fps with the D5100.

G