Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Acro

CA
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Acro Registered since 21st Mar 2010
Mon 22-Mar-10 12:03 AM

Hi all, I just started shooting with RAW files and I've come across a problem. When I transfer them onto my computer everything is fine, but when I try to put them in Photoshop, photoshop says it's not the right type of file! I'm using a Nikon D3000, and Photoshop CS3. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!

MEMcD

US
31291 posts

#1. "RE: RAW File help!" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Mon 22-Mar-10 04:56 AM | edited Mon 22-Mar-10 04:57 AM by MEMcD

Hi Bill,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The latest Raw Converter for CS3 is Adobe Camera Raw 4.6. (Introduced 10/2008 before the D3000 was introduced)
If that update will not open the D3000 NEF file you may have to upgrade to CS4 (Camera Raw 5.6) or use Nikon View NX to convert the Raw files to 16 bit TIFF files and work on the TIFF's in CS3.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#2. "RE: RAW File help!" | In response to Reply # 0

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Mon 22-Mar-10 01:18 PM | edited Mon 22-Mar-10 01:18 PM by gkaiseril

Welcome to Nikonians,

Besides upgrading to CS4 or using Nikon ViewNX or Capture NX2 to open the RAW files and transfer to CS3, one can also use Adobe's DNG converter to convert the NEF to the Adobe DNG, Digital Negative (DNG), file type and then open the created DNG file in CS3.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

G