Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
nl

West Hartford, US
840 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
nl Silver Member Charter Member
Sat 12-Jul-08 02:57 AM | edited Sun 13-Jul-08 06:27 PM by nl

So, the introduction of the D700 creates a quandry...in what way(s) is the D700 superior to or inferior to the D3? Is the D3 worth a $2000 premium? Here's what I've been able to gather so far...(if this thread generates interest, I'll edit my table below with updates ...)

D700
D3
Pro

1. Self-cleaning sensor

2. Smaller form factor, with option for MB-D10 for "D3 sized" body

3. Lower cost

4. Built in flash/CLS command

5. Vertical grip adds vertical command dial, but it's small and hard to use

1. 100% viewfinder

2. Built-in vertical grip

3. There has been a claim (Ken Rockwell!) that the D3 is "faster" than the D700. Presumably this refers to the faster frame rate, although the D700 is close with the MB-D10 attached. I assume the AF is the same as they have the same module...has anyone compared D300 to D3 AF, as they also share the same AF module? The AF motor in the D3 could be more powerful, but I doubt that matters with AF-S lenses.

4. Dual CF card slots

5. Default battery is the EL-EN4

6. Interchangeable focussing screens

Con

1. Need to add MB-D10 to get the EL-EN4 battery capacity

2. 95% viewfinder

3. As above, ?slower AF performance, and specs show slightly slower max frame rate with MB-D10 and much slower without MB-D10

1. Heavier

2. Costs more

3. Lacks convenience of built in flash

Thoughts?
nl

jbloom

Wethersfield, US
7735 posts

#1. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 0

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Sat 12-Jul-08 11:19 AM

Until we see the camera, or at least the manual, we won't know for sure all of the differences. For example, does the D700 contain the built-in intervalometer function of the D3? Don't know. And there are other firmware features that are as yet unknown. Some may favor the D3; some may favor the D700.

The D3 AF is quicker than the D300 from the reports I've seen, but what, if anything, that portends for the D700 I don't know.

D3 has interchangeable focusing screens; D700 does not.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#2. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 0

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Sat 12-Jul-08 12:15 PM | edited Sat 12-Jul-08 12:15 PM by mwhals

The D3 has more processing power than the D300. Since the D700 has a slower frame rate than the D300, I assume it has the same processing power as the D300. The slower frame rate would be due to the larger FX sensor. Based on my assumption, the D3 would have more processing power than the D700. Of course, it will take some testing to prove or disprove my assumption.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

yelcab

San carlos, US
924 posts

#3. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 2

yelcab Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2006
Sat 12-Jul-08 12:28 PM

It would be hard for me to justify $2000 for the slightly more features of the D3. My guess is the D3 price will drop to $4000. And then, that will be a lot closer. Then, it's actually D700+Grip+battery vs a D3, and the difference is only about $700. May still not be enough, but a lot closer. The way it is now, not a freaking chance.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#4. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 2

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sat 12-Jul-08 01:07 PM

You may well be right, but the slower frame rate of the D700 compared with the D3 could equally be due to using a lesser shutter and mirror mechanism, and the slightly slower rate compared with the D300 could be because the shutter and mirror are larger.

As you say, we'll know when samples are available for detailed examination and testing.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#5. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 0

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Sat 12-Jul-08 02:09 PM

Hi,

For me there are basically two reasons to chose the D700 over the D3, size and price. However if I could afford it I would probably buy the D3 for the 100% coverage in the viewfinder in spite of its larger size.

Enjoy!

Randy

Noel Holland

UK
2177 posts

#6. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 0

Noel Holland Platinum Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Charter Member
Sat 12-Jul-08 02:33 PM

The Con of Heavier for the D3 only applies to the D700 on it's own. With the MB-D10 fitted the D700 is both larger and heavier than the D3

RoFus

Luxembourg, LU
119 posts

#7. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 0

RoFus Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2004
Sat 12-Jul-08 03:39 PM | edited Sat 12-Jul-08 03:39 PM by RoFus

is it really creating a quandry?

I think the D3 and D700 compete in different markets. and this market is not only defined by the price, but size is a major factor.

nikolaj1972

wonderful copenhagen, DK
175 posts

#8. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 0

nikolaj1972 Registered since 13th Sep 2007
Sat 12-Jul-08 07:46 PM

Im not sure how the D700 perform with a el-en4 battery,but i think the D3 lasts longer on a charge. I have heard that the D3 lasts for 4.700 shots but i dont know how reality is.

Nikolaj Freiesleben

jaba

DE
76 posts

#9. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 0

jaba Registered since 02nd Feb 2007
Sun 13-Jul-08 04:31 AM

You forget that the shutter of the D3 is rated for double the exposures of that of the D700.

Martin G

London, UK
31 posts

#10. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 9

Martin G Registered since 12th Sep 2006
Sun 13-Jul-08 10:08 AM

I would be interested to see how the viewfinder blackout time compares between the D3 and D700, as the D3 is very fast.

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#11. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 0

Sun 13-Jul-08 06:18 PM

You also forgot the D3 has a 5:4 mode for those that like 8x10 or 16x20 prints without needing to do post cropping.

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#12. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 0

Sun 13-Jul-08 06:20 PM

I would change the D3 con of being heavier to "can't be made lighter" instead since the D700 is actually heavier if you add the optional grip.

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#13. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 0

Sun 13-Jul-08 10:12 PM

The D3 also has a speaker and microphone that is missing on the D700.

monteverde_org

Monteverde Cloud Forest, CR
1283 posts

#14. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 12

monteverde_org Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Nov 2007
Sun 13-Jul-08 11:37 PM

Or: you can make the D700 as big, heavy & intimidating as the D3 if you add the optional grip.

It's a lot faster to type or to say D3 than D700 because of the two extra zeros.

jshurak

US
2 posts

#15. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 13

jshurak Registered since 03rd Jun 2008
Sat 19-Jul-08 02:40 AM

is the lack of a built in flash really a con?

Hammam

Montreal, CA
503 posts

#16. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 15

Hammam Basic Member
Sat 19-Jul-08 11:08 PM

>is the lack of a built in flash really a con?
Yes, if you want to use it in Commander mode to trigger remote speedlights in wireless i-TTL. Then you have to buy the SU-800 unit, which does the same thing.

Hammam

The Long Ranger

US
301 posts

#17. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 16

The Long Ranger Registered since 25th Aug 2007
Mon 21-Jul-08 03:49 PM

Is the lack of a built in flash really a con?
Yes, if you want to use it in Commander mode to trigger remote
speedlights in wireless i-TTL. Then you have to buy the SU-800
unit, which does the same thing.

Hammam

Hi Hammam...

I'm not sure if that's true as it's a feature I don't really care or worry too much about. However, my understanding is that an SB-800 in the Commander Mode will trigger external flash units. I could be wrong, but if so, I'm certain there are any number of helpful, considerate Nikonians who'll be happy to set me and the issue straight...

Dick
The Long Ranger
A Telephoto Lovin' Nikonian

"There are none so blind as those who would not see..."

nl

West Hartford, US
840 posts

#18. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 17

Mon 21-Jul-08 04:56 PM

Good additional points. Unfortunately, I cannot edit the OP to add to my table...maybe a new thread if there's enough interest.

I wonder how many people make use of the microphone/voice recording feature of the D3? I've never made a voice annotation on my D2X.

The built-in commander flash is a nice feature. I've used that a number of times with my D300, although I prefer the SU800 because to make changes with the built-in flash you need to go into the menus, which is cumbersome. You can do the same with an on-camera SB800, but I don't usually do that because the SU800 is lighter and smaller.

Now that the D900 and D3X are being rumored, with most folks thinking of the D3X as a certainty, what to buy....???

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#19. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 15

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Mon 21-Jul-08 07:22 PM | edited Mon 21-Jul-08 07:24 PM by gkaiseril

Lack of a little built in flash might be a plus because the little thing and all the support needed for it is gone and there is more space for better features. Most pros would be using a more powerful strobe because one can control the power of the flash and rotate the head for much more control.

How did the D2 control remote SB-800/600's before the SU-800 was introduced?

Both the SB-900/800 are capable of being either a commander or a master unit for controlling remote SB-900/800/600 units and can control 3 groups of remote flashes and not just the 2 of the D700 and SU-800. You might want to review the difference between the commander function and master function. The SU-800 can only be a commander and never a master.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

timgreer

Otego, US
27 posts

#20. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 19

timgreer Registered since 20th Aug 2004
Tue 22-Jul-08 02:59 AM

I'm planning on buying the D3 this fall, although, the D700 looks mighty inviting. I'm hoping the price of the D3 will drop with word of the D3X coming.

nl

West Hartford, US
840 posts

#21. "RE: D700 vs D3 ..." | In response to Reply # 19

Tue 22-Jul-08 02:40 PM

George:

The SU800 can control three remote groups. The D200, D300, and D700 (per specs, I haven't handled a D700) can control only two groups.

Yes, the SU800 can only be a commander as it cannot function as a flash as well, as can the SB800 and SB900. If you are not planning to use on-camera flash, the SU800 is smaller and lighter, and I prefer to us it. If I need a light from near camera position, I usually bring in another SB800.

nl

monteverde_org

Monteverde Cloud Forest, CR
1283 posts

#22. "RE: D700 vs D3 - Hogan's differences" | In response to Reply # 0

monteverde_org Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Nov 2007
Tue 22-Jul-08 11:40 PM

Besides what was said above, Thom Hogan in his recent (& late!) D3 review mentions:
- Pro D700 Difference: Gridlines in viewfinder, Focus Assist lamp, Better Info screen handling & LCD protective cover supplied
- Pro D3 Difference: Better weather sealing, Extra secondary LCD on back, Smaller size when grip is used on both

I think he nails it with "D700 is more targeted to the serious amateur and pro backup market".

Lack of portability & hefty price is what ruled out the D3 for my type of photography & budget & is what makes the D700 so attractive to me.

Built-in flash & sensor cleaning module are quite useful in a pinch when you want the smallest possible package when hiking or shooting in a crowd.

Since the engine is the same (sensor), cup holders, interior trimmings & mp3 connector differences are really not that important for me.

In the field self sensor cleaning with a D300 in 15 seconds through menu (vs. D3 lens off, mirror locked-up & blower):

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

G