Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

"Fn" Button confusion

westlight

12 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
westlight Registered since 03rd Sep 2007
Sun 12-Oct-08 07:54 PM

The "Fn" button has me puzzled. When I try to add a Function to just the "Button", like "Virtual Horizon" I get what seems like an warning message "!No function assigned to the button + dial". If I assign something to the "Button + Dial" I get the same warning but this time it says "!No function assigned to the Button". It disables whatever I previously assigned to the Fn button alone. If I can only assign something to one or the other why the warning.

From the way this is worded it seems like I should be able to assign 2 functions to this button, one for the Fn button alone and another to be used with the Command Dial, something like bracketing.

What am I missing?

www.westlightimages.com

sduford

Sora, PA
592 posts

#1. "RE: "Fn" Button confusion" | In response to Reply # 0

sduford Basic Member
Sun 12-Oct-08 07:36 PM

I'm not sure what you're doing wrong. I have assigned I have assigned spot metering to the Fn button, and auto-bracketing to Fn button + dial.

I had no issues at all.

Sylvain,
There is no substitute for aperture...
Photoblog | My Gallery | DigitalFotographer

chico57

Camillus, US
10 posts

#2. "RE: "Fn" Button confusion" | In response to Reply # 0

chico57 Registered since 09th Jul 2006
Sun 12-Oct-08 08:00 PM

>The "Fn" button has me puzzled. When I try to add a
>Function to just the "Button", like "Virtual
>Horizon" I get what seems like an warning message
>"!No function assigned to the button + dial". If I
>assign something to the "Button + Dial" I get the
>same warning but this time it says "!No function assigned
>to the Button". It disables whatever I previously
>assigned to the Fn button alone. If I can only assign
>something to one or the other why the warning.
>
>From the way this is worded it seems like I should be able to
>assign 2 functions to this button, one for the Fn button alone
>and another to be used with the Command Dial, something like
>bracketing.
>
>What am I missing?
>
>www.westlightimages.com

Read page 322 of your manual. Notice the asterisk? It explains it all.

dmenges

Rochester, US
2223 posts

#3. "RE: "Fn" Button confusion" | In response to Reply # 0

dmenges Silver Member Nikonian since 26th May 2004
Sun 12-Oct-08 08:00 PM

I didn't realize this until you brought it up. I have the function+dial button set for auto bracketing. I didn't have just the function button assigned to anything. When I try to use it, the camera sets the function+dial back to no assignment. I'm going to look into the manual further.

Don Menges
Menges Technology Integration

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dmenges

Rochester, US
2223 posts

#4. "RE: "Fn" Button confusion" | In response to Reply # 3

dmenges Silver Member Nikonian since 26th May 2004
Sun 12-Oct-08 08:15 PM

Beginning on page 320 of the manual, there is a table listing all of the possible assignments for the function button alone. Notice that some of these assignments have an * with them. At the end of the table on page 322 the * tells you "This option can not be used in combination with the FUNC.button+Dial. Selecting this option displays a message and sets FUNC.button+dials to None."

So... only SOME of the function button only commands can be used and still have use of the function + dial use. See the table for which ones.

Don Menges
Menges Technology Integration

PaulBennett

US
321 posts

#5. "RE: "Fn" Button confusion" | In response to Reply # 4

PaulBennett Registered since 09th May 2008
Fri 17-Oct-08 02:20 AM

Sorry for this blatant deliberate cross post but felt it worthy.

Since the function button is much in demand, I prefer to use it to control bracketing with both press and press+dials. This is one time when both Press and Press+Dial is allowed. With this method you can have mixed bracketing and normal shots simply by using fn+shutter or not.

To use an AI lens, I use the 'Info' double-press rear LCD display to quickly reassign the function button's Press+Dial function to non-cpu lens selection rather than using the tedious 'Menu' route.

There is a BUG = hear that NIKON? = BUG, sorta. The info lcd display indicates the functions 'press' function and not the 'press+dial' function. So, when I reassign the function button to non-cpu lens select, the info display still shows 'BKT'. Which is sorta ok but lends itself to confusion. Because when one changes the press+dial function from bracket to non-cpu lens, bracketing is fixed until that fn Press+dial is reassigned back to brk+dial, yet the info display still says 'BKT'.

I'd prefer the info to display the fn Press+Dial setting rather than just fn Press setting which may or may not work.

Hope you could follow that. You almost have to try it out.

G