Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Buffer Capacity Display

gianni24

Bracciano, IT
15 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gianni24 Registered since 20th Jun 2013
Wed 17-Jul-13 03:56 PM | edited Wed 17-Jul-13 03:59 PM by gianni24

Hi to everybody,
I got a little problem (maybe my understanding) with the Buffer capacity display on my D700 that's showing in viewfinder and on the top LCD panel.

When I halfpress the shutter release button, accordingly with the manual, the area normally showing the remaining available shots changes to r06 showing that there's room in buffer for 6 shots.

In my camera this number (06) it's not changing, unregarding the image quality selection. If I'll start shooting in Ch mode the number will decrease, until it reaches zero. At that time I'll hear the shutter framerate suddenly decrease, since the buffer it's now emptying as soon as the camera writes to the Compact Flash. Before the rate slowing down the camera can record 15 shot, using Raw quality mode (no jpg).

My firmware: A1.04, B1.03
My CF: Lexar Professional 800x 16Gb UDMA7 (but I've tried with a 300x 8Gb with same results)
Settings: ISO 640, Manual Mode, Manual Focus, 1/8000sec shutter speed...

Active D-Lighting: Auto
Vignette control: N
High ISO NR: Norm
Long exp. NR: On

The situation it's changing if I turn off the image processing features, but I was thinking those was unrelated to the buffer size.
May someone give me some explanations?

Thank You

MEMcD

US
31610 posts

#1. "RE: Buffer Capacity Display" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Wed 17-Jul-13 04:32 PM

Hi Gianni,

The maximum number of images that can be stored in the Buffer drops if Optimal Quality is selected for Jpeg compression, ISO is set to Hi 0.3 or higher, High ISO NR is On or ISO is set to 2000 or higher, or Long Exposure Noise Reduction, Active D-Lighting, or Image Authentification is On.
See page 424 of the English version of the D700 Users Manual.

Best Regards,
Marty

gianni24

Bracciano, IT
15 posts

#2. "RE: Buffer Capacity Display" | In response to Reply # 1

Fri 19-Jul-13 02:02 PM | edited Fri 19-Jul-13 02:56 PM by gianni24

I checked the manual (expecially the charts at page 423 for FX pictures and page 424 for DX pictures) and try to get the buffer to work properly for my purpouse!

Anyway there's still some difference between the figures on the charts and what I can read on my display. Turning off all the "image processing" features I still get 16 frames in the buffer using RAW 14 bit, compressed lossles (that is the format I use to shoot), whereas the manual states 20.

I'd like to know if each individual cameras can show different figures for buffer size, or if is mine to be somehow "defective"... May you be so kind to check what readings for buffer capacity are coming from your camera?

Thank you very much for your first reply, and to help me in understanding this feature of my D700!

MEMcD

US
31610 posts

#3. "RE: Buffer Capacity Display" | In response to Reply # 2

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Fri 19-Jul-13 04:54 PM

Hi Gianni,

I have my D700 set to Raw lossless compressed, 14bit, + jpeg basic large and if i remember correctly the buffer indicates 16 or 17 images. I will verify that when I get to my D700. I will also check the capacity with the settings you listed above and report back.

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD

US
31610 posts

#4. "RE: Buffer Capacity Display" | In response to Reply # 2

Sat 20-Jul-13 12:46 AM

Hi Gianni,

Follow up.
After checking the my D700, with the settings I listed above, it in indicates (r15) with Raw + Jpeg Basic Large.
When I change to Raw only to match your setting it indicates (r16).
Your D700 is OK.

Best Regards,
Marty

gianni24

Bracciano, IT
15 posts

#5. "RE: Buffer Capacity Display" | In response to Reply # 4

Sat 20-Jul-13 04:13 PM

Thank you so much.

As we see friends (and Nikonians) are more useful than manuals!

MEMcD

US
31610 posts

#6. "RE: Buffer Capacity Display" | In response to Reply # 5

Sun 21-Jul-13 01:25 PM

Hi Gianni,

Your very welcome!

Best Regards,
Marty

G