Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

No Continuous Shooting in Flash Mode on the D700,

heatleyshoots

US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
heatleyshoots Registered since 16th Jul 2013
Tue 16-Jul-13 11:14 PM

Nikon D700, Speedlight SB910. The issue is getting the 910 to fire off at the same 5 frames per second as the cam. Cam’s built-in flash is set to Commander, and the 910 is set to remote/manual/repeat and powered down to 1/32, and both will fire, but only a single frame, even though Continuous High is selected on cam body. Only way to regain continuous shooting mode is with the built-in flash closed which disables remote flash. Could be the answer is in the repeating flash menu, but I'm so Menu/Manual weary I'm bringing this one to the group. And, I already checked: batteries are 100% fresh and a silly setting like brackets is not gumming things up. Target is to shoot 5 frames, no more, at a flash-to-subject distance of 1 foot, F16, 1/200th of a second. Thanks for replies :-)

golfercat

Menifee, US
236 posts

#1. "RE: No Continuous Shooting in Flash Mode on the D700," | In response to Reply # 0

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012
Tue 16-Jul-13 10:20 PM

It is rather difficult to use a SB-910 with a D700 in CH (5fps)mode. The recycle rate of the SB-910 is 2.3 to 4.5 sec. What you need is to use constant light source. If the SB-910 were able to fire at the 5fps rate, it would reduce power to prevent over heating (a SB-900 would melt). I imagine others will comment on ways of doing what you want. High speed flash photography is not an interest of mine.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD

US
31297 posts

#2. "RE: No Continuous Shooting in Flash Mode on the D700," | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Tue 16-Jul-13 10:32 PM | edited Tue 16-Jul-13 10:33 PM by MEMcD

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Nikonians!

Your camera is working as it was designed to.
When the built-in Speedlight is On, when the camera is in continuous release mode only one image will be captured each time the shutter release button is pressed.
See page 187 in the D700 Users Manual.
The work around is to use a second Speedlight in the cameras hotshoe set in commander mode but I wouldn't count on getting 5 FPS in any flash mode other than full Manual and SU-4 mode with both Speedlights set at very low power. In TTL mode and I suspect Commander mode, the monitor pre-flash sequence between each shot will slow the FPS rate down. Using FV-Lock might allow you to use i-TTL flash control in Commander mode but you will have to give it a try.

Best Regards,
Marty

heatleyshoots

US
2 posts

#3. "Update to Continuous Shooting in Flash Mode on the D700," | In response to Reply # 2

heatleyshoots Registered since 16th Jul 2013
Wed 17-Jul-13 09:52 PM | edited Wed 17-Jul-13 09:53 PM by heatleyshoots

Marty was right, had to sub a 2nd speedlight for the internal flash which was blocking the cam from continuous mode shooting, and even then the added cam speedlight had to give up its freshly charged Quantarays for some new alkalines, but both speedlights did fire continuously only not quite at 5 frames per sec (more like 3 or 4) so i'm checking into more powerful battery packs. Meanwhile my lighting instructor says to change the cam flash synch speed from its default 1/250 to the highest 1/320 Auto FP, and lower the speedlight power even more to 1/64, which should do fine since this is an extreme close up at 1/250 sec shutter speed with a 1.4 lens. I am thankful for the help, and that a friend pointed me to Nikonians, the manual so terribly ignores this continuous flash subject we are left to guessing.

MEMcD

US
31297 posts

#4. "RE: Update to Continuous Shooting in Flash Mode on the D700," | In response to Reply # 3

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Fri 19-Jul-13 05:40 PM

Hi Michael,

I think that setting the shutter speed to 1/320 sec. auto FP mode would not be a good idea.

First FP mode and Manual flash control don't mix.
Second, the D700 is capable of up to 8 FPS with the MB-D10 and an EN-EL4(a), or AA batteries at a shutter speed of 1/250th sec. or higher. So 5 FPS should be no problem.
To get the maximum FPS rate, set Custom Setting a1 AF-C Priority Selection to Release and use Continuous AF mode or use Manual Focus mode.
Three, the short flash duration should freeze any subject movement as long as the flash is providing three or more stops over the ambient light level.

I think setting the on camera Speedlight to Manual M 1/128 (Not Commander mode) and your remote SB-910 in SU-4 Manual flash mode to M 1/64 should get you a decent burst at 5 FPS.
Using SU-4 mode should eliminate any communication delays between the Commander and the remote.

Best Regards,
Marty

G