Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Can't autofocus with prime lenses

isail2

La Paz, MX
63 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
isail2 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2004
Wed 10-Jul-13 01:09 AM

My three prime lenses (50mm f1.8D Nikkor, 180mm f 2.8 Nikkor ED,& Tokina 100mm 2.8 AT-X Pro)have stopped auto-focusing on my D700. However all three of these prime lenses continue to auto-focus on my D800.
My nikkor 24-70 2.8 and Nikkor 16-35 f4 and 70-300 ED AFS 4.5-5.6G (All zoom lenses) will auto-focus on both cameras.
All of the primes will manual focus of course and are very sharp lenses.
I know this sounds crazy, my firmware is current but I've run out of settings to change. Any ideas?
Thanks for your suggestions
Tom ireton

Tireton

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ptremb

Manchester, US
98 posts

#1. "RE: Can't autofocus with prime lenses " | In response to Reply # 0

ptremb Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2010
Wed 10-Jul-13 12:14 AM

Are the prime lenses all screw drive like the 50mm d model, if so it is possible that the body af drive motor has failed.

golfercat

Menifee, US
236 posts

#2. "RE: Can't autofocus with prime lenses " | In response to Reply # 0

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012
Wed 10-Jul-13 12:40 AM

You may be experiencing contact problems with the D700. Try cleaning the contacts on the D700. There are numerous threads about contact issues. Not an uncommon problem.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#3. "RE: Can't autofocus with prime lenses " | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 10-Jul-13 06:34 AM

As the first reply noted, the three lenses that won't AF are all "screwdriver" AF models, which are driven by the AF motor in the camera via a mechanical connector. It could be that the camera's motor has failed, but a simpler explanation is that the little connecting lug in the camera's lens mount has jammed and is not extending as it should to engage the corresponding "socket" in the lens.

This isn't likely to be an electrical contact issue.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

isail2

La Paz, MX
63 posts

#4. "RE: Can't autofocus with prime lenses " | In response to Reply # 3

isail2 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2004
Wed 10-Jul-13 10:07 AM

Thanks to all of you. I had no idea that there was an auto-focus motor in the camera and had never seen the little lug protruding from the lens mount plate.( Until now)
I can hear a click, click sound when I try to auto-focus with the primes and suspect that after maybe 30 to 40,000 focus' the poor ol' motor may just be tired as suggested.
This sounds like it calls for a trip to the Nikon repair facility in Los Angeles and shipping things from one side of the border to the other (and back) has it's own special set of challenges when you live here in Mexico.
I suspect that for a while at least I'll use the other three lenses on it and use the D800 when I need one of the primes.
Thanks again for the suggestions, once again Right ON!
Tom Ireton

Tireton

G