Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (Sensor that Is)

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010
Tue 09-Jul-13 10:25 PM | edited Tue 09-Jul-13 10:26 PM by DinoCardelli

Just returned from my local Auth. Nikon Repair Center Southern Photo for a round of sensor cleaning..

Did a beach shoot last weekend and everytime I go to beach, I have it cleaned..no questions asked....

The cost is $50 for full cleaning of the sensor and internal cleaning...it comes back perfect !!!

I've read alot of the various systems....just curious how many here do their own or have it done...I know there are huge risks to damaging the sensor if not cleaned properly.

What are the risks? What are the benefits?

Now, the team at So. Photo are great....walk in service..I dropped it (two (one)D700 and (one) D7K) of them off, went had a coffee at the local cofeee shop, by the time I got back, cleaned and ready to go. I know it's done perfectly, and I feel assured no sensor damage...

Help me to continue this routine or change?

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7072 posts

#1. "RE: To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (Sensor that Is)" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Tue 09-Jul-13 08:41 PM

I spend most summer weekends on the beach shooting beach volleyball. I clean my cameras when they visually need it (wet: 2-3 times per year). Rocket blowers work wonders on the more frequent stuff.

Doing the wet cleaning yourself is easy. It just takes time. You need to work pretty hard to damage something. Good tutorials and supplies at
http://www.CopperHillImages.com

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#2. "RE: To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (Sensor that Is)" | In response to Reply # 1

Wed 10-Jul-13 11:14 AM

Yes, thanks..I've spent some time and have reviewed the videos on several of the sites...

just being cautious....

dc

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#3. "RE: To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (Sensor that Is)" | In response to Reply # 2

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Wed 10-Jul-13 03:50 PM

Dino -- If the cost is no great issue... if the service people do the job right and promptly... and if the coffee's good, I'd stay the course! I have cleaned my own sensors several times, but it always makes me a bit apprehensive. I try to change lenses as infrequently as possible and under the best conditions (like return to my car if I can.) Again, if the cost is not a war-stopper, it seems to me that you have a workable and working plan!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#4. "RE: To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (Sensor that Is)" | In response to Reply # 3

Wed 10-Jul-13 11:55 PM

It's more of the convience that's the issue...

My problem is I'm really hard on the equipment with most of my photos being conducted in an outdoor environment...I'm limiting my lense changes by carrying two bodies when I'm out doing my fishing shots......

Still considering...but, to be honest, as you mention, I can get to the tech center by 0800, go grab a coffee and donut or eggs, and by the time I return, I'm out by 0845....they also offer one free cleaning within 30 days...which I'll begin to take them up on as there's a small chinese grocery store nearby....

So, it's not like I'm living 2 hours away...it's literally 30 min from the house and no wait....hard to ask for more I know....

It's just at $100 a pop (for two), it adds up I guess..but, then again, so does a repair..after you damage the sensor

dc

ctadin

St Louis, US
1360 posts

#5. "RE: To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (Sensor that Is)" | In response to Reply # 4

ctadin Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008
Thu 11-Jul-13 07:11 AM

Dino,
It appears like you're leaning in the direction of having your sensor professionally cleaned instead of purchasing the kit and doing it yourself.
I have cleaned my D700 sensors a handful of times, but always with apprehension.
I think if I were in your shoes, I would probably stick with what you're doing since it's convenient and it's not cost prohibitive.

Cheryl

espeto68

Oeiras, PT
475 posts

#6. "RE: To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (Sensor that Is)" | In response to Reply # 5

espeto68 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2010
Fri 12-Jul-13 11:54 AM

Hi Dino,

I wish i could follow your cleaning route.
Here in Portugal we have to send it to Nikon Portugal (which is in Spain), and it takes about two weeks to return back.
I would stick with the service cleaning.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, D70s(IR), F100, F80, F Photomic FTn

HHargitt

Maple Ridge, CA
539 posts

#7. "RE: To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (Sensor that Is)" | In response to Reply # 4

HHargitt Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 19th Jan 2010
Fri 12-Jul-13 07:31 PM

If you're really worried about damaging the sensor, you could always do what I did. I have an old D50 that I use as my high risk body, I used it to practice on. I purchased a cleaning kit complete with a dozen swabs and then cleaned the sensor weekly until I felt confident enough to clean my D700 and D300s. I don't think I spent more than a month cleaning the D50 before moving on, now I feel comfortable cleaning all my bodies. Now that I can clean my own bodies for less than $10 in supplies I tend to clean as soon as I see a spot on the sensor that will not blow off with my rocket blower. I've always wondered what the risk to cleaning infrequently, and putting up with a couple of spots until there was a big enough mess to warrant cleaning. I think that having something stuck to the sensor for a prolonged period of time might give it the opportunity to weld itself to the sensor.
Now that I carry cleaning gear with me, I worry less about changing lenses and more about the best setup for the shot. I should also mention that a lit sensor loupe or magnifying lamp (I have one for fly-tying) is a great help.

Happy cleaning,

Will shoot for fame...fun...food... a heck I'll shoot anytime anywhere.

robsb

San Jose, US
14848 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#8. "RE: To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (Sensor that Is)" | In response to Reply # 0

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Fri 12-Jul-13 11:50 PM

My D700 has NEVER been professionally cleaned and NEVER wet cleaned. Essentially all I do I use the auto setting to clean my sensor and occasionally I have hooked up my power supply, locked the mirror and used my rocket blower to blow out the inside. I have shot in all kinds of environments from Iceland to South America, in he rain, in the heat, in dusty windy places. etc. Perhaps I am just lucky.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#9. "RE: To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (Sensor that Is)" | In response to Reply # 8

Sat 13-Jul-13 02:04 PM

Perhaps I am just lucky.

I would suspect the latter....

My problem is I'm in really rough environments...open air markets in Central America, Beach shooting, on the boat, etc. etc.

Are you sure your sensor is even clean?

You might want to do a test shot into the sky or grey background and see....you might be surprise...if you are shooting with alot of full frame pixels...you'll never see it...

My photography varies from food photography with a white shooting table to in the field, beach and fishing....all hard environments....

I check mine on a regular basis....so far, I've had my D700 about 1 year and it's been cleaned 3 times....

I do all the recommended actions: (1) change lenses face down (2) clean the rear of the lenses with a brush and with a paper before I insert (3) Use the auto clean, etc.

DC

robsb

San Jose, US
14848 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#10. "RE: To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (Sensor that Is)" | In response to Reply # 9

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Sat 13-Jul-13 11:50 PM

Oh I get occasional spots in the images but they are usually 1 to 3 at most and when they are there they are easy to remove. I just look at the images at 200 % and zap the one I see. You could also map the spots if you don't use the auto clean function. I have shot on beaches, in dust, in rain, etc. If it got to be a problem, I would have it professionally cleaned.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#11. "RE: To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (Sensor that Is)" | In response to Reply # 10

Thu 18-Jul-13 05:38 AM

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=20394&mesg_id=20394&page=

In the D800 good dialog on cleaning.....I participated early and still am on the fence..

dc

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#12. "RE: To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (Sensor that Is)" | In response to Reply # 11

Wed 07-Aug-13 08:05 AM

>https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=20394&mesg_id=20394&page=
>
>
>In the D800 good dialog on cleaning.....I participated early
>and still am on the fence..
>
>dc
>

Update:

Went back to Souther Photo repair in North Miami beach for my less than 30 days free cleaning..

I paid $100 for my two bodies and they offer a free 2nd cleaning within 30 days..

I had been shooting hard in Guatemala for a week and took it back in....

I'll probably get the sensor's cleaned 2 -3 times a year...which means up to 4-6 total cleanings (I shoot alot outside in tough environments - beach, mangroves, etc.)..

So, with the freebie...it gives me a nice cushion......and lucklily, for me, it's only 20 min from the house...

dc

tma

US
31 posts

#13. "RE: To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (Sensor that Is)" | In response to Reply # 0

tma Registered since 24th Feb 2008
Tue 13-Aug-13 02:38 PM

I constantly shoot in dusty, dirty conditions. Both the D700 and the D300 are set to clean the sensor automatically upon turning on, and again upon shutdown. In addition, I use a rocket blower any time I change lenses.

In addition, both bodies get serviced by Nikon at least every six months. This includes a sensor cleaning.

I let the pros do the serious sensor cleaning. The bodies are in for the once-over, anyway.

cogrady

Salt Lake City, US
586 posts

#14. "RE: To Self Clean or Not Self Clean - That is the ?? (Sensor that Is)" | In response to Reply # 0

cogrady Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2009
Tue 13-Aug-13 02:53 PM

I live in Utah. Think lots of dry desert. The dry air creates static. Nearly every time I take off a lens I get dust. I use a rocket blower for what I can, but it accumulates after a few months. I have tried swabbing it myself but I seem to just make more of a mess. The dust ends up along the edges and I'm always unhappy with the result.

Hence, I take my cameras (a D300s and a D4) to my local shop about twice a year for a cleaning. $35 and a cup of coffee later good as new. Very much worth it in my book.

I have heard great things about the Arctic Butterfly cleaning tools. They're expensive but perhaps worth it if you don't have a good local shop. For me, I'll stick with the twice yearly cleaning done in-shop.

Cheers!
Claudia

www.one-eye-closed.com
www.lastlightphotographicstudios.com

G