Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 - Faulty power switch

dbrent

Surprise, US
32 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dbrent Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2005
Thu 27-Jun-13 04:32 PM | edited Thu 27-Jun-13 04:33 PM by dbrent

A couple of days ago I noticed my D700 didn't power down when I turned the power switch to the 'Off' position. After investigating a little I found that it would power down if you applied pressure to one side of the switch. However if you applied pressure to the opposite side it would turn back on (switch still in 'Off' position).

Has anyone else had this issue? It started soon after I was using that same switch to turn the backlight on and off a few times while taking some lunar pics.

Local repair shop is quoting $125 to replace switch and clean sensor. Doesn't sound too bad. Everything else on the camera seems fine.

Camera is about 4yrs old
Shutter count is only 5300...
(I know, that means I need to be taking more pictures!)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD

US
31603 posts

#1. "RE: D700 - Faulty power switch" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sun 30-Jun-13 12:53 PM

Hi Don,

While I have not had any issues with the On Off switch on any camera going back to the F4, several years ago my sister had to get the switch replaced on her N80. If I remember correctly, it cost about $100.00 to fix.

Best Regards,
Marty

franco1

Athelstone, AU
72 posts

#2. "RE: D700 - Faulty power switch" | In response to Reply # 0

franco1 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2009
Fri 05-Jul-13 05:28 AM

Considering that I paid over $100 just to get the sensor cleaned I think this is a bargain.

Cheers
Elio

hillsidekim

Hillside, US
549 posts

#3. "RE: D700 - Faulty power switch" | In response to Reply # 2

hillsidekim Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2008
Sat 13-Jul-13 10:18 PM

If you paid over $100 to get your sensor cleaned, I'd be looking for a different camera store/repair shop.
Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

G