Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Where is the successor to the D700?

RSHphotography

CA
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RSHphotography Registered since 09th Jun 2013
Fri 14-Jun-13 08:58 PM

Hi there,
I have a D7000 as well as a Canon 5D Mark 2. Love my cameras. But I've been waiting for a True Successor to the D700.

I don't need 36 or 50 megapixels! Heck ever 24 megapixels is too much in most cases.

Does anyone know if Nikon plans to use the D4 and release a D700S with 16 megapixels? I would be all over that if it had the same build quality as the D700 and added 1080p video, and use the Grip to unlock 8fps.

To me the D800 is too slow and too many pixels. The D600 doesn't have enough pro features.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#1. "RE: Where is the successor to the D700?" | In response to Reply # 0

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Fri 14-Jun-13 08:20 PM

I would say the D800 was it, even if Nikon missed your mark.

I'd be surprised if you see another FX body with less than 24mp.

Of course if Nikon is planning something, they aren't telling, so nobody really knows. (However we are good at speculating!)

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7075 posts

#2. "RE: Where is the successor to the D700?" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Fri 14-Jun-13 10:34 PM | edited Fri 14-Jun-13 10:35 PM by JosephK

Most folks will probably tell you there is no successor to the D700, if you define the D700 as a mini-D3 and the successor as a mini-D4 as I do. I view the D800 as the successor to the D3X and the D600 as the start of a new, lower line.

At the moment I view the D700 line as orphaned/abandoned unfortunately. About the time I look to upgrade, by default it will be to the D5 unless Nikon plans something not yet announced.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

#3. "RE: Where is the successor to the D700?" | In response to Reply # 0

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2009
Sun 16-Jun-13 02:40 AM

By all appearances Nikon has re-thought its FX line-up - and the mini-D4 type D700 is not in the plans.

That being said, other than FPS there is nothing the D800 doesn't do better than the D700 - okay save room on your hard drive maybe - but storage space is cheap these days.

Nikon apparently wants pros who need high FPS to put down the money on a D4.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

bjj

Ryde. Isle of Wight, UK
58 posts

#4. "RE: Where is the successor to the D700?" | In response to Reply # 0

bjj Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2009
Sun 16-Jun-13 09:08 AM

Hi Roshan,

As far as I can work out the D700 was replaced by the D800/D800E & the D3 was replaced by the D4. The D3s & D3x have yet to be replaced whilst the D600 was an "extra" added to the mix as a basic pro-sumer FX model. (Don't you just love it's "basic" features??)

The D300s has yet to be replaced as the pro DX body & there is serious doubt if it ever will be.

Second guessing Nikon camera releases is just as fruitless as trying to climb a mountain using a tooth-pick but all the same it is a topic that produces lots of discussion!

All the best Brian

If in doubt shoot it! There will never be a second chance.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#5. "RE: Where is the successor to the D700?" | In response to Reply # 4

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Sun 16-Jun-13 01:41 PM | edited Sun 16-Jun-13 01:42 PM by mklass

Actually the D3s replaced the D3, which was in turn replaced by the D4. "s" models were upgrade replacements for the original models. (D70->D70s; D300->D300s)

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Roland J

Northampton, UK
38 posts

#6. "RE: Where is the successor to the D700?" | In response to Reply # 0

Roland J Registered since 27th Nov 2007
Mon 17-Jun-13 11:17 AM

>Quote:
I've been waiting for a True Successor to the D700.

I don't need 36 or 50 megapixels! Heck ever 24 megapixels is
too much in most cases.

Does anyone know if Nikon plans to use the D4 and release a
D700S with 16 megapixels? I would be all over that if it had
the same build quality as the D700 and added 1080p video, and
use the Grip to unlock 8fps.

To me the D800 is too slow and too many pixels. The D600
doesn't have enough pro features.

>Unquote.

Hear Hear.. +1,000,000 to that!

Roland J

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3333 posts

#7. "RE: Where is the successor to the D700?" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Tue 18-Jun-13 04:25 PM

This is why, even though I am shifting to the D800, which I agree, is superior to the D700 in all but FPS, I am keeping one.a D700 and battery pack for basketball. I just can't quite reach a D4 unless I win the Power Ball!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

professorune

HK
1222 posts

#8. "RE: Where is the successor to the D700?" | In response to Reply # 0

professorune Registered since 08th Jun 2013
Wed 26-Jun-13 12:44 PM

With the release of the D600, I'm speculating Nikon is going to focus on creating "more affordable" FX cameras.

Any development on the semi-pro series to which the D700 belonged would likely be an advance on the D800.

I concur that the ever increasing number of megapixels in new models is not necessary for a lot of photographers. It only adds to the strain of the hard disk

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3333 posts

#9. "RE: Where is the successor to the D700?" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Thu 27-Jun-13 10:31 AM | edited Thu 27-Jun-13 10:34 AM by ajdooley

Roshan -- I have been watching this thoughtful thread that you initiated, and in looking back, Nikon has not always created direct lineal descendants of each camera. For example, the D200 was a direct follow-on to the D100. But the D300 was an obvious quantum leap and the D700 was simply a "WOW" addition, seemingly out of nowhere after the FX sensor made its first appearance in a Nikon in the D3. In essence, I see no real predictable "plan." Instead, Nikon seems to be conducting constant engineering to apply new technologies and innovations, and gathering them up and introducing them periodically, often I think, in response to competition. Sometimes we see incredible leaps and other times we see incremental improvements. But for sure, we see new choices.

But what fun would we have speculating on the "next" Nikon if they were completely predictable?

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

rws67

Cedar Park, US
31 posts

#10. "RE: Where is the successor to the D700?" | In response to Reply # 9

rws67 Registered since 21st Jun 2013
Thu 27-Jun-13 08:34 PM

I have been debating with myself what to do next as well. I have the D700 and D300 and it is a great combo. I have one set of batteries, can use the battery pack on both and get 8 fps for sports which I pretty much use the D700 for. D300 is for my wildlife shots or if I am shooting football. So Nikon has kind of gone off into directions where I dont know what to do. Need a D300 upgrade that is more pro level not the 7100 and I like the D800 except for the fps, takes away the ability to get great sequences in baseball. So I am stuck holding on to the D300 and D700. Which honestly I am still happy with the D700 it is the D300 that is getting old and pretty outdated. But I would like to see the true successor to both. It would be nice if Nikon would let us know some sort of intention because I am ready to pull the trigger on a new body, but for now it is just sit back and hope and wait.

Rob

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

T42

Atlanta, US
301 posts

#11. "RE: Where is the successor to the D700?" | In response to Reply # 10

T42 Basic Member
Sun 30-Jun-13 04:45 AM | edited Sun 30-Jun-13 04:57 AM by T42

I like my D700, but I'm very happy to see that the follow-on models D600 and D800 have 100% full frame viewing. The D700 has 95% in each axis, meaning that about ten percent of the information recorded at the sensor plane is not visible in the finder. That is not a pro camera characteristic, IMO.

I'm keeping the D700 as it does all I need. But if it suddenly disappeared, I would replace it with a D800 in a New York Second.

Edit: According to Dave Letterman, a New York Minute is the amount of time that elapses between the turning green of a New York traffic light, and the sounding of the horn in the car immediately behind you. It follows, then, that a New York Second is 1/60th of a New York Minute.

Henry

A Certified Dinosaur
Nikons F, F2, D700, L35AF, Leica M3, & Kiev 4a

jaymc

Port Orchard, US
80 posts

#12. "RE: Where is the successor to the D700?" | In response to Reply # 7

jaymc Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Sep 2006
Mon 01-Jul-13 08:52 PM

Same here, except keeping the D700 w/battery pack for baseball.

>This is why, even though I am shifting to the D800, which I
>agree, is superior to the D700 in all but FPS, I am keeping
>one.a D700 and battery pack for basketball. I just can't
>quite reach a D4 unless I win the Power Ball!

dclarhorn

Berwyn Heights, US
14851 posts

#13. "RE: Where is the successor to the D700?" | In response to Reply # 0

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002
Wed 03-Jul-13 06:26 AM

I agree with most. It seems that technology has evolved around the D700. Each newer model since has looked to be a step up from another model. The good news, especially for me who still uses the D700, is that it's still a beast and provides all the functionality and IQ I need for my assignments.

Then again, you never know. I remember that the D700 took a lot of people by surprise when it came out. Since it is still serving me well, I think I will wait to see what comes out next instead of jumping up to the D800. I'm not crazy about the D600, even though, like any Nikon DSLR, it can produce outstanding results--in the right hands.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

Bob32

Chico, US
5873 posts

#14. "RE: Where is the successor to the D700?" | In response to Reply # 0

Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2007
Thu 04-Jul-13 12:03 PM

Waiting for the D700s we were hoping for is likely to continue to be an exercise in futility. I'm thankful beyond words that I bought my D700 when I did more than four years ago. It's by far the best camera I have ever owned (started with a Nikon F in 1960) and has met my needs very well. It now has well over 100,000 shutter actuations, and I am planning to use it for the duration. I don't feel that I would gain anything of consequence by moving to a D800 or a D600, and the D4 is too pricey (I bought the D700 because the D3 was too pricey). If I wear out the D700 shutter I will replace it and keep right on shooting. All hail the D700!

Bob

nwms

US
17 posts

#15. "RE: Where is the successor to the D700?" | In response to Reply # 10

nwms Registered since 12th Jul 2012
Mon 08-Jul-13 06:19 PM

>But I would like to see the true successor to both.

I agree. I keep wishing that Nikon would upgrade these two cameras. As much as I like the D700, it's missing some features that I want. For example, there is no true ISO 100. Like most people in this thread, I don't think the D800 is a true upgrade from the D700. I don't need the higher megapixels and I'm already spending enough time editing out people's facial blemishes. The higher resolution will only give me more work since it is like a HD TV where I can see a person's facial pores. High crisp resolution is great for things like landscape, but in my opinion it isn't great for portraits. I would rather have Nikon continue to improve the image quality instead.

G