Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 for large prints/graphics?

Bubbz

Lexington, US
19 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bubbz Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2012
Thu 30-May-13 08:31 PM

I've been working on a project for a marketing company that required shots of products and models with products. Originally this work was for the web site and printed marketing materials (brochures, pamphlets, etc.). This project has went very well. Now, they have asked to do more images, but these will go on the side of trailers that will be pulled behind trucks. I think the trailers are 6' x 12' sides. My question is: can my 12MP D700's images cover this trailer side? I'm not sure who they will contract to do the final graphic, so I am throwing this out there to see if any of you may know. If there is even a question, I'll just rent something with a larger sensor such as a D800E. Thanks in advance for your assistance, I hope I have provided enough info.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Wingman

Kimberley, CA
1800 posts

#1. "RE: D700 for large prints/graphics?" | In response to Reply # 0

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002
Thu 30-May-13 07:09 PM

A D800 would absolutely be much better. Having said that, many D3 and D700 images have been used that big. One does not generally walk up and closely examine photos in such a usage. From 50 feet away they could look fine, if properly handled by the graphics firm. If you get the job, though, and it pays reasonably well, I'd absolutely rent a D800 or D800E. The problem would then be that you'd be hooked -- there is a difference!

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3393 posts

#2. "RE: D700 for large prints/graphics?" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Thu 30-May-13 10:33 PM | edited Thu 30-May-13 10:34 PM by ajdooley

The D700 will certainly do a commendable job. Of course, questions include the graphics work and what people will see. Look at a truck image to see what they actually show -- or maybe visit the plant where the work will be done. But having recently acquired a D800, there's a significant jump in capability, especially if you employ proper sharpening technique. That's not to say that the starting image isn't sharp -- but there's a significant amount more hiding in NEFs. I'd seriously consider renting a D800 for the task. The only problem will be ensuring you are set up properly. I assume you are shooting NEFS and recommend all you can capture -- 14 bit, uncompressed. The resulting NEFs run about 75mb. Just know though, as Neal says, if you rent one, you'll own one -- sooner rather than later!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Ed911

US
222 posts

#3. "RE: D700 for large prints/graphics?" | In response to Reply # 1

Ed911 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007
Thu 30-May-13 10:34 PM

Why not uprez the image? There's no reason to print in native state...using 12 MP...Genuine Fractals comes to mind. Just remember that larger images are often printed at 80 DPI or less. And have really wowed viewers.

Bubbz

Lexington, US
19 posts

#4. "RE: D700 for large prints/graphics?" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 31-May-13 10:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. I do shoot in NEF to capture all the available data the sensor can record. It didn't dawn on me until Ed's reply, but I have Perfect Resize as part of my OnOne software package I bought a while back. I've never used it, so looks like I'll be testing it out soon. Its says it uses the Genuine Fractals algorithms. I do have a graphics place down the road that does this type of work so ill go and see if they will give me some pointers on what they need to make it happen. I'm also well aware of wanting the new body after renting it for a few days. I've never really done well with giving new tech back, that's pretty evident by looking in my camera bag(s)...and credit card statements.

Wingman

Kimberley, CA
1800 posts

#5. "RE: D700 for large prints/graphics?" | In response to Reply # 4

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002
Fri 31-May-13 12:35 PM

Goood luck with the graphics outfit. I had the unhappy experience last year of having a shot that a National Park wanted to use when redoing the displays for their remodelled visitor center. My shot was a very sharp full frame D3 image, and the display was to be about 15 feet long. The graphics firm over in England categorically refused to use my image because they felt there were "not enough pixels" and a stock 4x5 scan was found for the space. I've always felt that the image would have been fine for this usage, but there was no arguing with those folks in this case. This was one reason for me jumping on the D800 as soon as I could manage to get one.

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

Bubbz

Lexington, US
19 posts

#6. "RE: D700 for large prints/graphics?" | In response to Reply # 5

Fri 31-May-13 12:44 PM

Thanks for the tip. This outfit nearby handles a lot of the NASCAR haulers, so if they are willing to talk to me I'll take a file from the D700 upsized in Perfect Resize and see if it will work. If not, I'll be renting the D800. I don't know who will be printing the final graphic at this time. Fortunately I have a few weeks before the shoot to get this done.

Wingman

Kimberley, CA
1800 posts

#7. "RE: D700 for large prints/graphics?" | In response to Reply # 6

Fri 31-May-13 03:25 PM

Please let us know what they say -- this is a topic of interest to me...

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

T42

Atlanta, US
301 posts

#8. "RE: D700 for large prints/graphics?" | In response to Reply # 7

T42 Basic Member
Tue 09-Jul-13 01:36 PM

Fascinating topic. Would be interested to learn how it went with Bubbz's test.

I wonder how many dots of color are on a billboard, or on the side of a truck used as one. And whatever does that mean when translated into a requirement for pixels at the sensor plane? I realize that folks will see the side of a truck from a lot closer than they will see a billboard alongside the highway. I am guessing that the D700 would be a safer bet for the billboard than for the truck.

Henry

A Certified Dinosaur who remembers Merlin.

hujiie

US
597 posts

#9. "RE: D700 for large prints/graphics?" | In response to Reply # 0

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009
Tue 09-Jul-13 10:19 PM

When you print a large banner, it does not require as high res as regular photos. One reason is the viewing distance and another is printer’s printing resolutions. If it were on vinyl (PVC) substrates, it would typically be printed with 4 color solvent printer with 720 lpi. However, some sign shops run the printer much lower printing resolution than what printer is capable by prioritizing speed more than quality.

If you have an access for asking print shop prior to the project, that would be the best way. As my design work, I print photos on giant fabric banners and I used images from D700 (now I use D800E). However, in my opinion, RAW file from D700 (I am sure shop ask for TIFF) will be enough for commercial advertising banner.

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

Bubbz

Lexington, US
19 posts

#10. "RE: D700 for large prints/graphics?" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 10-Jul-13 12:55 AM

At this time I'm still in a holding pattern with the marketing company. I've had other things going so I haven't spoken with the graphics folks to date. I have some time over the next few weeks ill try to get over there. Either way, I'll let you all know what transpires.

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#11. "RE: D700 for large prints/graphics?" | In response to Reply # 10

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Mon 29-Jul-13 04:35 AM

The marketing company should be able tell you the specifications they need. If not talk with graphics company that will get image for printing – they will provide you with what they want or need.

In my experiences graphic companies usually have hardware and software solutions that meet their needs and usually prefer to start with an unaltered image.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Colorado Kamaaina

US
20 posts

#12. "RE: D700 for large prints/graphics?" | In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Kamaaina Registered since 09th May 2012
Wed 14-Aug-13 10:35 AM

Hi Bubbz,

I rarely make comments here in Nikonians. You may have already put your project to bed, but hope this helps you for future reference.

I am a graphic designer and photographer by profession and routinely shoot for and design displays from 6' indoor banner-ups to billboards. I have used both the D700 and D800 and quite honestly either is fine, but (and note I am posting this in the D700 forum)... I prefer the D700 hands down...

This won't affect you but if you have an experienced designer doing the piece, he/she will know it has everything to do with file handling. There isn't a huge quality difference between 12+ and 36+ MP in the end, simply because of the process used to output the product. A billboard file size will run into X-Gbs at only 65-85 ppi for example (unless it is vector), so why add to the storage load when you don't have to? Your 6 X 12 side panel won't be output at full rez anyway. Most vendor outputs run that size at 200 ppi max (usually 150 is more common). Larger displays are meant are to be viewed from a bit of distance. I used to use Fractals to upsize and now use OnOne's version called Perfect Resize.

Hope this helps you, now I'll go back into the shadows.

G