Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

alredy posses d700 and a d800 should I buy another d700?

pinakinjoshi

Mumbai & Pune, IN
86 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pinakinjoshi Silver Member Nikonian since 26th May 2004
Sun 19-May-13 05:31 AM

I already posses a d700 and a d800, both very sparingly used by me. One brand new d700 is available with 2years Nikon warrenty. I am extremely happy with both of my cameras, however D700 will not be available in future if needed. May I go for the above stated brand new d700? I have to make an urgent dicision.

Kindly help.

Sincerely yours
Pinakin Joshi

RABaker

Sunnyvale, US
731 posts

#1. "RE: alredy posses d700 and a d800 should I buy another d700?" | In response to Reply # 0

RABaker Registered since 30th Sep 2003
Sun 19-May-13 04:55 AM

Do you actually have a use for a third camera body? You have two great cameras and each can act as a backup for the other (even though they have somewhat different specifications). The fact that new, warranted D700's may not be available in the future also applies to all other camera models that have been out for a while. Do you feel a need to get a D300s, D90, D5100, or some other model? These cameras also will be unavailable (as new with warranty) sometime in the not-to-distant future.

Since you are asking this question I suspect that you have not settled in your own mind why you should purchase another D700. If you want it, and you can afford it, then buy it and enjoy it. If you or somebody else would have to give up something to be able to purchase the new camera, then you must make a decision about which is more important: The camera, or the "something else."

Good luck,
Richard

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#2. "RE: alredy posses d700 and a d800 should I buy another d700?" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sun 19-May-13 06:31 AM

I don't think anyone can help you make this decision.

You already know the capabilities of the D700, and only you can know whether you would have any use for a second example - and whether the money would be better spent on it or something else.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

MEMcD

US
31276 posts

#3. "RE: alredy posses d700 and a d800 should I buy another d700?" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sun 19-May-13 04:45 PM

Hi Pinakin,

If you currently use your D700 and D800 sparingly, why do you feel the need to add a second D700 to your kit. I guess it depends on how you discribe "sparingly" and your future plans.
As Brian wrote above, only you know what your personal requirements are, and therefore only you can answer that question.

Best Regards,
Marty

Photograffiti

LA (Lower Arkansas), US
480 posts

#4. "RE: alredy posses d700 and a d800 should I buy another d700?" | In response to Reply # 0

Photograffiti Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2006
Sun 19-May-13 05:00 PM

I faced a similar decision. I had a D700 and (at the time) D7000. Knowing that the D700 was discontinued, I chose to pick up a second body. I did so because the D700 is all the camera I will need to do what I want to do. Also, I didn't want the larger files of the subsequent models. But the biggest reason was that I felt more comfortable with the D700 than with any camera I've ever used.

If any of this seems familiar to you, go for it. But, as was mentioned above, if you don't need it or are just buying to be buying, you might reconsider.

Best of luck with your decision.

Mark
www.markpricephotography.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#5. "RE: alredy posses d700 and a d800 should I buy another d700?" | In response to Reply # 0

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010
Mon 20-May-13 03:44 AM

I asked the same question a while back....and many on the forum gaveme some good advice...

the camera will last you at least 100K acuations....unless you damage it, drop, it etc...the cost to replace a shutter etc. is far less than a new body...

I see you are in India..if you have good tech support...it will be a less expensive way to go....buy more glass....there will be D700's around for a while....

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

tanker179

Palm Beach Gardens, US
3 posts

#6. "RE: alredy posses d700 and a d800 should I buy another d700?" | In response to Reply # 4

tanker179 Registered since 22nd Aug 2010
Mon 10-Jun-13 06:10 PM | edited Tue 11-Jun-13 08:09 AM by jrp

I think Mark said it in the same way I would.

I suppose if a camera should come by that is much easier to operate and is a much lighter...maybe I'd sell my 700.

Tanker

BOAZ632

Upper Marlboro, US
123 posts

#7. "RE: alredy posses d700 and a d800 should I buy another d700?" | In response to Reply # 5

BOAZ632 Registered since 28th Aug 2010
Wed 12-Jun-13 09:46 PM

I say take the coin you plan to use to purchase the new D700 and spring for some good glass. Trust me, the D800 would really appreciate it.

Nikonian in Upper Marlboro, MD

ADCole
www.adcoleweddingphotoimages.com

G