Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What's my D700 worth?

davidflas

Binghamton, US
24 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
davidflas Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2004
Thu 02-May-13 11:07 PM

I hope it is ok to post a thread like this here. I am the original owner of a D700 with just over 28k shutter clicks. It has all the accessories, etc.. that came with it new including the box. Only minor signs of use, and no functional issues. How much could I sell it for?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Hotswimmer

St. Paul, US
384 posts

#1. "RE: What's my D700 worth?" | In response to Reply # 0

Hotswimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2008
Fri 03-May-13 12:41 AM | edited Fri 03-May-13 12:45 AM by Hotswimmer

Probably the best thing you can do is look at completed transactions on Ebay, or what people are selling them for on Craigslist in major cities. If it helps you, back in December, I bought my D700 body from a private party in basically new condition (a whopping 1,520 exposures in the EXIF data of the first image I captured), in its original box, with all original accessories and documents, plus an extra battery, 3 CF cards, and a very nice camera bag for $1,600.

Partytrooper2

Adelaide, AU
246 posts

#2. "RE: What's my D700 worth?" | In response to Reply # 1

Partytrooper2 Registered since 17th Oct 2008
Fri 03-May-13 02:55 AM

I bought my D700 recently for $AUD1632, with 18,000 clicks, 2 batteries, 2 cards, eyepiece and tripod clip. In immaculate condition. No manual but did have a D700 Thom Hogan manual. Coming from a D300 I didn't worry about that.

ctadin

St Louis, US
1369 posts

#3. "RE: What's my D700 worth?" | In response to Reply # 0

ctadin Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008
Fri 03-May-13 10:48 AM

When you do decide to sell it and have determined an asking price you can always say, "will entertain serious offers."
I have also seen used D700's going for around $1,600.00.
Best of luck with your sale.

Cheryl

MEMcD

US
31592 posts

#4. "RE: What's my D700 worth?" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Fri 03-May-13 06:54 PM

Hi David,

To give you a point of reference: KEH has a D700 in EX condition listed at $1599.00 and they provide a 6 month warranty.

Best Regards,
Marty

davidflas

Binghamton, US
24 posts

#5. "RE: What's my D700 worth?" | In response to Reply # 4

davidflas Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2004
Sat 04-May-13 07:00 AM

I appreciate all the responses, I am trying to find out if I can sell it to fund a D800. At this point, I am torn between selling it to get the D800, or keeping it and adding a D7100 to my lineup.

stash

US
685 posts

#6. "RE: What's my D700 worth?" | In response to Reply # 4

stash Gold Member Charter Member
Tue 21-May-13 10:26 AM

I called KEH and asked if I could get a shutter count on a used D700.
Josh "very helpful" at KEH said they cannot do this since the cameras are already in the warehouse. I wonder why they don't get a shutter count before stocking them. If there were 2 D700's and one had 25K and one had 5K shutter counts wouldn't you want the one with 5 k?

Thanks

Stash

pmbpro

CA
4 posts

#7. "RE: What's my D700 worth?" | In response to Reply # 0

pmbpro Registered since 21st May 2013
Tue 04-Jun-13 05:56 PM

I recently bought one with 21,625 actuations, for $1400 on eBay. The camera was in fantastic condition. With the exception of signs of light tripod use at the bottom around that socket, it looked practically new. He even included a spare new EN-EL3e battery, a Lexar 300x 8GB CF card, and an original Nikon DK-19 rubber eye cup.

pmb

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt. ~ Henry J. Kaiser

professorune

HK
1248 posts

#8. "RE: What's my D700 worth?" | In response to Reply # 5

professorune Registered since 08th Jun 2013
Sun 16-Jun-13 11:27 AM

Decisions, decisions. So many options...

I suppose whether you finally decide whether to sell the D700 to get a D800 or just get the D7100 may hinge on whether you really want/need video capability in FX format and the higher resolution of the D800.

If it's decided to add the D7100, you'll have the advantage of a DX format camera for a longer telephoto lens while the D700 can be used for wide angle shots.

G