Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

File numbering oddity?

drjh68

Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
151 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003
Sun 07-Apr-13 02:30 PM

My D700 is about three year old and has never had any problems. The numbers which it gives to the individual photos had got up to about 9990. But today I noticed that the numbering had restarted at 0001, and as a result of photos taken today has got up to 0044. Is this supposed to happen? It doesn't sound right to me, as presumably it means that the first 999 numbers will become duplicated... and so on!

Any comments, please.

James
Suffolk UK

olivierrychner

Boudry, CH
5255 posts

#1. "RE: File numbering oddity?" | In response to Reply # 0

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005
Sun 07-Apr-13 04:39 PM

Congrats, you've just taken your 10,000th image.

That's all, and normally, there should not be any problems at all. The Nikon DSLRS have all that "limitation", they can only number 10,000 files and start again, which can mean anything from strictly 10,000 up to 20,000 if you use exactly 50 percent of RGB and 50 of sRGB, since the number vary.

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

MEMcD

US
31304 posts

#2. "RE: File numbering oddity?" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sun 07-Apr-13 05:47 PM

Hi Jim,

Yes!
The camera is functioning correctly.
After you reach 9999 the numbering resets to 0001.

Best Regards,
Marty

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#3. "RE: File numbering oddity?" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sun 07-Apr-13 07:20 PM

James -- Indeed the camera is working like it was made to. Furthermore, you can change the 3-letter name given to files as well. I use that method to track which of my two bodies individual images came from. One body is labeled A## and the other is called B## (with # standing for sequential sets of 10,000 (actually 9,999) images. So A03_____ is the third set of 9,999. I figure there is little likelihood the cameras will last more than 99x9,999 clicks, now will I! I actually change the prefix at about 9900 so I don't accidentally run over.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

drjh68

Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
151 posts

#4. "RE: File numbering oddity?" | In response to Reply # 3

drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003
Wed 10-Apr-13 06:10 AM

Hallo Olivier, Alan and Marty,

Many thanks for your comforting replies - Good News, so I can stop taking the pills now.

Best wishes,

James
Suffolk UK

G