Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Doesn't go into standby mode -- it's the CF card?

elliotm00

US
15 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
elliotm00 Registered since 16th May 2011
Sat 06-Apr-13 02:47 PM

I recently purchased a Kingston x266 16GB CF card for my D700. When I leave the camera powered on, it would never go into a standby mode. The analog exposure meter would continue to blink continuously and never turn off. The battery would drain completely in a few hours. I tried a second (both Nikon-branded) battery with the same results.

I later noticed that the CF light would flash once every 6 seconds. This was, in fact, the auto meter turn off delay value. If I change it (c2) to 4 seconds, then the CF light would flash every 4 seconds.

When I take the card out, the camera correctly goes into standby mode.

I had ordered another Kingston card, a 600x 16GB, and I get the same problem.

I called Nikon support. They were very helpful and pointed out that Kingston is not on their official list of supported cards. Fair enough, even though many of the cards that are on the official list are no longer available.

Here's the punchline: I put in an old SanDisk 1GB card, which IS on the official list. Same problem.

Yes, I format in camera. Yes, two-button reset. Two different mounted lenses and with no lens. Lens cap on. And off.

Other than this, the camera seems to function normally. I use AF-ON and all my photos were saved correctly on the card and exposed as expected.

Is the D700 broken?

Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#1. "RE: Doesn't go into standby mode -- it's the CF card?" | In response to Reply # 0

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Sat 06-Apr-13 02:34 PM

If you can, get a good light and perhaps a magnifying class, remove the card, and look into the card slot in the camera to see if any of the pins are bent and perhaps touching. If you see some bent pins, you may be able to straighten them with a very small flat blade screwdriver to very long, thin tweezers. Or, if you see bent pins, take it to a camera repair shop.

IF you don't see any bent pins, a trip to Nikon may be in order.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

elliotm00

US
15 posts

#2. "RE: Doesn't go into standby mode -- it's the CF card?" | In response to Reply # 1

Sat 06-Apr-13 05:43 PM

Thanks. I don't see any obvious bent pins. One pin wasn't exactly straight, but I didn't see evidence that pushing in the CF card bent the pin more. I straightened it anyway.

One more symptom: the beep doesn't work, apparently. I set it to loud, and I have never heard it.

Full disclosure: I bought the D700 used on Craigslist. I did meet the owner face-to-face and we talked for a long time, so I don't suspect he knowingly sold me a dud. But we all know the risks when buying a used camera body.

Nothing else appears to be broken, and I've gone through a lot of the menu items.

I think I'm at the mercy of Nikon service.

--ET

NikonMark37814

Morristown, US
1125 posts

#3. "RE: Doesn't go into standby mode -- it's the CF card?" | In response to Reply # 2

NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010
Sat 06-Apr-13 06:01 PM

I don't think it's your memory cards causing the problem. I recently started using 16gb Kingston Ultimate 600x cards with my D800, 700 and 300s and they work perfectly. I also use Kingston Elite Pro 4 and 8gb 133x cards and they work perfectly. I like the 16gb Ultimate so much that I'm thinking about getting their 32gb CF cards. The Ultimates from my testing is as fast as my Sandisk Extreme cards.
Good luck with your camera. Let us know what the problem was.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

elliotm00

US
15 posts

#4. "RE: Doesn't go into standby mode -- it's the CF card?" | In response to Reply # 3

Thu 11-Apr-13 12:04 AM

Minor update for those keeping score:

The beep DOES work. Rookie error, it needs to be in AF-S, and not AF-C. Also, the beep is very quiet, which is apparently very common.

I tried a SanDisk Extreme-II 2GB card, and same problem. Card in, no standby. No card, yes standby.

Nikon says to send in the camera and estimates anywhere between $79 and $279. I'm not sure it's worth it, so I'm going to put it off for now. Everything else seems to be in perfect working order.

--ET

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#5. "RE: Doesn't go into standby mode -- it's the CF card?" | In response to Reply # 4

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Sun 14-Apr-13 02:29 PM

>Nikon says to send in the camera and estimates anywhere
>between $79 and $279. I'm not sure it's worth it, so I'm
>going to put it off for now. Everything else seems to be in
>perfect working order.

I think the problem with electrical or electronics problems, is that a persistent issue in one subsystem can sometimes end up taking out additional subsystem(s). The problem might be isolated and never cause any other issues, but it seems like a pain in the neck to never let yourself forget to either turn off the camera or remove the CF card. Besides that, unless you're getting ready to replace it with the latest thing, consider that you can also tell Nikon to CLA the body too, for very little extra money. You'll get back a D700 that is perfect once again, which is a very good thing to have.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

GilesW

Edinburgh, UK
67 posts

#6. "RE: Doesn't go into standby mode -- it's the CF card?" | In response to Reply # 0

GilesW Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2010
Tue 16-Apr-13 04:51 AM

If a two-green-button reset does not work then a cold reset or software reinstallation might.
The cold-reset procedure is detailed here:
https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=226&topic_id=43657
It might help if the problem is due to software corruption. Please let us know how you get on.
Giles

SRFast

New York City, US
1522 posts

#7. "RE: Doesn't go into standby mode -- it's the CF card?" | In response to Reply # 6

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004
Sat 20-Apr-13 07:13 PM

Elliot,
Sorry to hear about your problem. Has your D700 ever worked properly? If the problem exist for all your CF cards, it might be time to send the camera to Nikon for service. They will send you an estimate for repair cost and you must approve it before they actually perform any work.

Regards...JL

elliotm00

US
15 posts

#8. "RE: Doesn't go into standby mode -- it's the CF card?" | In response to Reply # 0

Tue 21-May-13 03:55 PM

Thank you for all your responses. I took your collective advice and contacted Nikon, and then sent it in for repairs. Sure enough, they found a problem. Although it cost me $230 (which isn't bad when you consider some of the horror stories out there), I feel like I have an *almost* brand new camera (well, new plus 50k actuations).

I had asked about cleaning and they said that all repairs include cleaning and bringing it to full working condition ("CHECK ALL TO GWO" was on their service note -- GWO: Good Working Order).

This was on the repair invoice:
RPL MEMORY CARD HOLDER
REPLACE RUBBER GRIP
RPL REWIND SIDE RUBBER
RPL CF CARDHOLDER RUBBER
RPL MEMORY COMPRESSION
GENERAL CHECK AND CLEAN

I'm guessing the actual functional issue was the "memory compression" part. Still, replacing all the rubber makes the camera feel solid again.

My "backup" body is a D7000 (or is the D700 the backup to the D7000? I don't know...) so I wasn't desperate. Still, glad to have the work horse back.

Thanks again.
--ET

G