Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Where can I get a Shutter release cable

guyparker

Rugby, UK
961 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
guyparker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Dec 2005
Fri 08-Mar-13 03:43 PM

I'm after a shutter release cable for my D700. Anybody know where I can get a cheap one from in the uk please? I don't need it to be a Nikon one. Also, where do shutter release cables plug into the camera?

Ideally I actually wanted to find a way of triggering my camera by using my Elinchrom skyport, but there doesn't seem to be a way. I tried a 10 pin to 3.5mm lead which does allow me to take the shots but unfortunately the menu and LCD screen does not work when using this - so not much use

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

samrat54

Calhoun, US
246 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: Where can I get a Shutter release cable" | In response to Reply # 0

samrat54 Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Mar 2003
Sat 09-Mar-13 12:04 PM

I would suggest looking for a used MC-20 or MC-30 Nikon release maybe on one of the auction sites or at a local shop. They are well built. An MC-20 saved a D100 with battery grip from a fall off a tripod at a wedding some years ago for me. It was a heavy pull on the connection at the 10-pin plug, but it kept on working. Incidentally, the release plugs into the 10-pin plug on the front of the D700 body-just under the PC terminal.

I would assume that Jessop's or Gray's would probably have some used releases, but not being in the UK, I really can't address that part of your question very well. You might also try the "want to buy" forum on Nikonians. The price of a used MC-20 or MC-30 should certainly be less than the more current electronic cable release, the MC-36/MC-36A. I'm not familiar with the Elinchrom skyport, so I can't help you there.

Sam

A Georgia Nikonian

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#2. "RE: Where can I get a Shutter release cable" | In response to Reply # 0

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Sat 09-Mar-13 03:18 PM

I use an MC-30 release by Nikon that I've had since I bought my F100. I would go Nikon and not worry about compatibility issues. The MC-30 is a basic release having a handle with thumb depressed button, 1/2 depress turns on the meter and the AF; full depress releases the shutter.

The MC-20 release is more feature packed, includes an intervalvometer, LCD light and shutter release.

Both releases have 2' leads; Nikon have the MC-21 extension cable that adds 10' between the camera and the release.

Being Nikon products, they are expensive. I have no experience with the MC-20 or inexpensive 3rd party release.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

2pixels_short

Anchorage, US
892 posts

#3. "RE: Where can I get a Shutter release cable" | In response to Reply # 0

2pixels_short Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Registered since 16th Oct 2003
Sat 09-Mar-13 07:02 PM

I buy used MC-30's by the sack from KEH. I break them in the cold weather.

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

MEMcD

US
31592 posts

#4. "RE: Where can I get a Shutter release cable" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sun 10-Mar-13 12:24 AM

Hi Guy,

The Skyport must have the pre-release feature (pressing the shutter release button half way) built-in which disables the menu and LCD display.
Like the others, I use and recommend the Nikon MC-30.
I have been using mine for years and it continues to work perfectly.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

mkmull77

Fond du Lac, US
131 posts

#5. "RE: Where can I get a Shutter release cable" | In response to Reply # 4

mkmull77 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2010
Sun 10-Mar-13 01:39 PM

I've been using a cheaper MC-30 clone for some time now. I bought it for use with my F5's and I still use it with both my one remaining F5 and my D700. It was so cheep that I bought several in case of failure but have never had to use the backup.

I also have a Vello wireless shutterboss which uses a cable with a 10 pin connector for the camera and a 2.5mm stereo connector for the shutterboss side. In either case they have the 1/2 depress / full depress button functions work as they should.

I'm not familiar with Elinchrom skyport but in order for the 1/2 depress / full depress button functions work you would need stereo connector on the 10 pin cable and the Elinchrom skyport would need to support the stereo plug connector. If the 3.5mm connector on either the cord or the Elinchrom skyport is a mono type it can't support full functionality for the camera focus / shutter release.

Vello does sell their cables separately, if you need a 3.5mm you would need a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter. I'm not sure where you would buy one in the U.K.

Vello 10 pin cable catalog #RCC-N1 / MSRP $10.00US. Also I would think Elinchrom would sell their cables separately.

guyparker

Rugby, UK
961 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#6. "RE: Where can I get a Shutter release cable" | In response to Reply # 5

Sat 23-Mar-13 02:49 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm sorry I've not replied earlier - the graphics card went on my Mac Pro so computer has been out of order for a while. No sorted and back online!

I think I'll either look at the MC-30 or possibly change my Skyport for Pocket Wizards which will give me what I need and some flash new reliable remotes for many uses. I then know that if I've got the PW I'm set up for everything. What do you guys think? I presume they can be used on Bulb mode if needed?

£70 goes a long way to purchasing one PW.

MEMcD

US
31592 posts

#7. "RE: Where can I get a Shutter release cable" | In response to Reply # 6

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sun 24-Mar-13 02:25 AM

Hi Guy,

I use PW to trigger remote cameras as well as Strobes and Speedlights.
They have been very reliable. That said, I am not sure if they will work with the shutter speed set to bulb since I have never tried it.

Best Regards,
Marty

guyparker

Rugby, UK
961 posts

#8. "RE: Where can I get a Shutter release cable" | In response to Reply # 7

Sun 24-Mar-13 01:11 PM

Anyone happen to know if I could also use a PW plus III to trigger my Elinchrom BRXI 500's that have inbuilt skyport? That would probably clinch the deal for me so I'd only ever need to carry the PW for everything!

MEMcD

US
31592 posts

#9. "RE: Where can I get a Shutter release cable" | In response to Reply # 8

Sun 24-Mar-13 04:14 PM

Hi Guy,

Yes!
You just have to connect the PW to the Elinchrom BRXI 500 using a 3.5mm (1/8") to 3.5mm (1/8") sync cord plugged into the sync port of the strobe.

Best Regards,
Marty

guyparker

Rugby, UK
961 posts

#10. "RE: Where can I get a Shutter release cable" | In response to Reply # 9

Sun 24-Mar-13 05:38 PM

Thanks Marty - do you know if that will still allow me to adjust the power of the lights remotely in 1/10ths as per the skyport?

MEMcD

US
31592 posts

#11. "RE: Where can I get a Shutter release cable" | In response to Reply # 10

Sun 24-Mar-13 07:48 PM

Hi Guy,

The PW Plus III's do not have the capability to remotely adjust the power level of any strobe or Speedlight.

The PW FlexTT5's combined with the AC3 Controller and ST4 will allow you to adjust Elinchrome strobes in 1/3rd stop increments.

I don't know if you can use the skyports to adjust the power together with the PW Plus III's to trigger the flash.

Best Regards,
Marty

sixeyes

Hertford, UK
49 posts

#12. "RE: Where can I get a Shutter release cable" | In response to Reply # 11

sixeyes Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2010
Wed 03-Apr-13 07:29 PM

This may no longer apply but to go back to the original question you may be able to get a Hama remote control release Ni-1<00005348. I bought one for a modest price for use with my D300 - it would work with a D700. I still have it as a spare for my MC 30 which is more robust and can be locked into the socket.
The Hama product can be seen on their website www.hama.co.uk for £33.99 but you should be able to get it for less via Amazon. I think I paid about £20.

Iain

guyparker

Rugby, UK
961 posts

#13. "RE: Where can I get a Shutter release cable" | In response to Reply # 12

Sun 07-Apr-13 10:48 AM

Thats for that - that's a really good alternative!

chansk18

HK
1 posts

#14. "RE: Where can I get a Shutter release cable" | In response to Reply # 0

chansk18 Registered since 13th Aug 2013
Tue 13-Aug-13 05:15 AM

Just go to buy a PIXEL TC-252(made in China), it is very cheap (about 20 US dollars) and has the same functions as the MC-36 and is very powerful. It is so amazing that it can change cables to fit different cameras, I can use it in my D700, D5000 and Olympus OMD. Each cable's price is about 3-5 dollars. It is very reliable and flexible, the only drawback is that it needs 2 AAA batteries and it needs to be replaced frequently.

G