Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is my shutter about to fail?

lissaanglin

US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lissaanglin Registered since 07th Mar 2013
Thu 07-Mar-13 04:26 PM | edited Thu 07-Mar-13 04:30 PM by lissaanglin

Hi everyone- this is my first post here, so bear with me-

I have 3 Nikon D700s (wedding photographer), and my main camera has begun to focus slowly, and lose focus as well.

Shutter count is at 155,715.

Any ideas? Is my shutter about to fail? I read that the normal shutter life for this camera is 150,000.

Thanks in advance!

niksi

Kranj, SI
219 posts

#1. "RE: Is my shutter about to fail?" | In response to Reply # 0

niksi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2006
Thu 07-Mar-13 06:07 PM

Hi Lissa and welcome to Nikonians!

I strongly doubt that the shutter has a close connection with focusing mechanism and its speed. D700 cameras have nominal shutter release count at 150,000, but can work much longer. Check here http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/ for the expected shutter lifetime. D700 is unfortunately not in the database, but you can look at the D300 data.

According to your profile you mostly use AF-S lenses that have a built-in focus motor. Therefore I would first look to the bayonet contacts if they are dirty or damaged. If yes, just send the camera to Nikon representative for cleaning.

If you noticed the slow autofocus performance with AF lenses, the culprit is most probably the "screwdriver" motor built into the camera. Again, send the camera to authorized Nikon representative for testing and possibly replacing the motor.

The third possible cause would be dirty autofocus module inside the camera. Check whether the autofocus is slow on all autofocus sensors or just on some of them. If it is slow on just some of them then very probably these sensors are dirty and need professional cleaning.

Hope you will solve your problem quickly.

Best regards,

Niko
-----------------------
Never underestimate!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#2. "RE: Is my shutter about to fail?" | In response to Reply # 0

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Fri 08-Mar-13 03:33 AM

Lisa, welcome to Nikonians! Have you had a CLA - Clean, Lube and Adjust? Nikon USA or an authorized repair facility can help you there. If you let them know what'g going on with the camera, they can advise you if need replacement.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-And-Repair.page
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Nikon-Authorized-Repair-List.page

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

MEMcD

US
31630 posts

#3. "RE: Is my shutter about to fail?" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sun 10-Mar-13 02:06 AM

Hi Lissa,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The AF module and the shutter assembly are different systems therefore a problem with the AF system does not mean that the shutter is about to fail.
Nikon Service in Melville NY or APS in Morton Grove, IL should have no problem getting your D700 beck to 100%.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#4. "RE: Is my shutter about to fail?" | In response to Reply # 0

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Sun 24-Mar-13 01:10 AM

You closest authorized Nikon Repair Center probably is

Precision Camera
11500 Rojas Drive Suite J
EL Paso, TX 79936

Phone: 800-665-6515
Fax: 860-763-7100

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

lissaanglin

US
2 posts

#5. "RE: Is my shutter about to fail?" | In response to Reply # 4

lissaanglin Registered since 07th Mar 2013
Mon 25-Mar-13 03:08 PM

Thank you all for your helpful responses!

That makes a lot of sense- I am going to send the camera in to be cleaned and checked out.

Any preferences on whether or not to use Nikon repair or an authorized repair center? I have not been able to get into Nikon Professional services (no sponsor), so I am worried about repair times.

James23p

Memphis, US
11262 posts

#6. "RE: Is my shutter about to fail?" | In response to Reply # 5

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004
Wed 27-Mar-13 02:41 AM

I find that once a camera is out of warranty that authorized repair centers are cheaper, but you can call both and see which one gives you a better price.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

Click on image to view larger version

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

G