Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
sensor

US
93 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sensor Registered since 30th Oct 2011
Sun 03-Mar-13 01:17 AM

When using Manual Focus what is the correct way to do it in order to get sharp images...that the whole image is in focus...??Any method?
I having problem gettin in focus in Manual Mode.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

phlash46

Peekskill, US
2210 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#1. "RE: MANUAL FOCUS" | In response to Reply # 0

phlash46 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2008
Sun 03-Mar-13 11:51 AM

It depends on what you want to be in focus and that is determined more by the aperture and focal length of the lens. Once you have the depth of field you want for the exposure then manually get the primary subject in focus and let the other settings do the rest

New York Nikoner
My Nikonians Gallery

"Insanity is repeating the same process expecting a different result" Albert Einstein

NAS can go into remission, but, it is incurable.

aolander

Nevis, US
3936 posts

#2. "RE: MANUAL FOCUS" | In response to Reply # 0

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006
Sun 03-Mar-13 02:58 PM | edited Sun 03-Mar-13 02:59 PM by aolander

You can't always get the whole image in focus. There is only one plane in the image that is "in focus". In front of and behind that plane the image can be "acceptably" in focus due to depth of field, the amount of which depends upon the aperture you're using.

The focus indicator light in the viewfinder will indicate proper focus when manually focusing.

Alan

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3321 posts

#3. "RE: MANUAL FOCUS" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Wed 06-Mar-13 10:07 PM | edited Wed 06-Mar-13 10:13 PM by ajdooley

Silvio - Kudos for sharing your profile, in which you say your main photography effort is portraits. That makes it easier to propose an answer to your question about manual focusing.

There is really no way to get an entire image in focus unless all of the subject is in a single, very flat plane. There will be a point of focus and then -- varying by depth of field -- areas of acceptable sharpness and areas more out of focus. These are optical facts of life that cannot be gotten around without tilt lenses and backs -- and then you are shifting your plane of focus, a'la view camera, so that's not a good comparison for a DSLR's capabilities.

I am a former Navy photojournalist who was trained at Syracuse University in 1972-73. I was blessed to have a former Navy journalist by the name of Bob Moser as one of my teachers. Bob was draconian in demanding crisp focus. For people pictures, he drove home that we don't just focus on the face, nor the eyes. The point on which we need to focus is the nearest eye, and on the pupil at that! He taught that of the pupil of the nearest eye is in focus, the rest of the image is immaterial -- the image will appear to be in focus. If instead, it is the far eye, or the nose, or ear that is in sharp focus, the picture will register to the viewer as fuzzy. Look at great portraits and you will see this if you seek it out.

As Alan Olander indicated, using a single point of focus and manually adjusting the focus until the red focus light is on, is a good way to do this with a DSLR. Sadly, unless you buy an after market split image focus screen, and I am not sure they are available for all Nikon DSLRs, that's the best way to achieve focus.

Again -- the pupil of the near eye.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

rps1244

Orrtanna, US
146 posts

#4. "RE: MANUAL FOCUS" | In response to Reply # 3

rps1244 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2002
Mon 18-Mar-13 04:24 PM

I found this info on the Zeiss to be very helpful:

http://lenses.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/carl-zeiss-camera-lenses/website/photography/what_makes_the_difference/manual_focusing.html

Best regards,

Bob

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2670 posts

#5. "RE: MANUAL FOCUS" | In response to Reply # 0

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Mon 18-Mar-13 06:01 PM

I use manual focus Zeiss lenses routinely with the D700. The best way to get sharp maual focus is by using LiveView at high magnification. I suggest that you increase contrast in picture control to make it easier to determine which part of the capture is in sharp focus. If done right, MF gives you better results than AF in most cases - You cannot rely on the "green dot" for focus confirmation, since this not sufficiently accurate.

Tristan

G