Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Just Bought a D700

shadygreg

US
57 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
shadygreg Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2012
Sun 10-Feb-13 10:05 PM

Got a mint used one on ebay - less than 3000 clicks. Should arrive in 3 or 4 days. I struggled a lot between a D600 or D700 purchase. The D600's 24 Mp sensor was very tempting, but in the end I prefer the body and controls of the D700 and 12 Mp really is enough. Also, I'm not a pro and I don't care about video.

I'm a longtime 35mm film slide shooter (FE and F6, both using AI/AI-S lenses mostly) and this is my first DSLR. The control layout of the D700 is very similar to the F6 so that was a big plus for me. I can see myself switching between the F6 and D700 fairly seamlessly. That and I keep hearing about how great the D700 still is.

If I really want to print big (and how often is that really) I will dive into learning RAW post processing - which I should learn how to do anyway since I'm new to digital and I've never done it!

Can't wait for the D700 to arrive.

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7075 posts

#1. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Sun 10-Feb-13 11:02 PM

Welcome to the D700 club and to Nikonians!

While you are waiting, download the PDF version of the D700 manual from Nikon and start reading. Later you will find it handy for searching.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

MEMcD

US
31324 posts

#2. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sun 10-Feb-13 11:44 PM

Hi Greg,

Congratulations on your new D700.
I am sure you will be as happy with it as I am with mine.
On occasion I use my D700 and F100 side by side so substituting the F100 for an F6 should be a piece of cake.
Enjoy!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Hotswimmer

St. Paul, US
384 posts

#3. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

Hotswimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2008
Mon 11-Feb-13 12:38 AM

Congratulations! I've only had my D700 for a few weeks as well, but the word "magic" comes to mind, with the work I've done with it so far. An amazing piece of equipment.

spraay2236

US
152 posts

#4. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

spraay2236 Registered since 26th Feb 2012
Mon 11-Feb-13 03:43 PM

Congrats on the new camera. I'm a new D700 shooter too. It seems good used ones abound. If the D700 is your first DSLR, you've picked a good one to start with!

SP

Learning a little bit more, every day...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#5. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010
Mon 11-Feb-13 10:12 PM

If this is your FIRST DSLR you made a really wrong Decision !!!!
Now...there's nowhere but dissapointment going forward....NOTHING COMPARES at the price point and set up !!!

I can't be happier to the point, I'm thinking, why not just buy a spare and never buy another body the rest of my life (I'm 56).....

Let's see what the future holds with NIKON>..

Congrats and welcome to the club...

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

shadygreg

US
57 posts

#6. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 5

Tue 12-Feb-13 01:17 AM

Thanks, everybody. Looking forward to the full frame semi-pro DSLR experience.

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3333 posts

#7. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 6

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Wed 13-Feb-13 11:24 PM

Greg -- I am not so sure about your assessment of the D700 as a "semi-pro" camera. A lot of people who make pretty decent livings in photography, including myself, use the D700. It i an awesome camera that occupies a pretty sweet spot cost wise and performance wise. Balanced against the D3, it provided equal image quality with a few sacrifices in other areas. In the end, that's what I use as my most critical measurement: image quality. You'll love your D700.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

shadygreg

US
57 posts

#8. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 7

Wed 13-Feb-13 11:42 PM

>Greg -- I am not so sure about your assessment of the D700 as
>a "semi-pro" camera. A lot of people who make
>pretty decent livings in photography, including myself, use
>the D700. It i an awesome camera that occupies a pretty sweet
>spot cost wise and performance wise. Balanced against the D3,
>it provided equal image quality with a few sacrifices in other
>areas. In the end, that's what I use as my most critical
>measurement: image quality. You'll love your D700.

My mistake. Pro camera!

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#9. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Thu 14-Feb-13 03:29 AM

Congratulations! Especially with your film background, this will be a perfect fit. I've had my D700 since it came out and will be keeping it forever, even though I now also have a D800. the D700 shoots like a film camera, it just goes. Even though the D600 sensor is a bit better, when I tried it out in a store, it felt more like an electronic device than a camera.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

piniongear

Houston Texas, US
466 posts

#10. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 8

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006
Fri 15-Feb-13 12:19 AM

As all the others have said, 'You most likely bought the best camera possible in getting the D700.'

I have owned my D700 for a number of years now and will not ever get rid of it. I also own a D300s, a D200 and a safe full of other Nikon SLR equipment.
You can use all of your AIS lens on the D700 with manual focus.
The D700 has the left/right arrows in the view finder with the green dot to tell you when you have obtained manual focus. Works great!

This past year I finally took the plunge and bought a D800.
How did that work out?
The large files are slow to download.
Focus has to be right on or else the result is disappointing.

So what is the outcome?
I find that I use the D700 95% of the time and the D800 just sits in the safe.

Regarding shooting RAW...... I only shoot NEF files.
I then do the quick edit process using Capture NX.
Doing this allows you to adjust the shots in case your light or exposure is off and this is NON DESTRUCTIVE EDITINBG.
You always have the original file and will not lose information like you do shooting in JPEG or TIFF mode.

If I need to make a JPEG or TIFF photo it is quickly and easily done in Capture NX. The original NEF file does not degrade.

Capture NX costs like what.... $140?, so it is far cheaper than other edit software and it is a Nikon product and directly handles Nikon NEF files.

I urge you to try shooting NEF shots and try out the Capture NX software. It fits like a glove with a D700.
Perry

blossombogart

US
31 posts

#11. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

blossombogart Registered since 26th Feb 2013
Mon 04-Mar-13 02:16 AM

I just purchased a d700 and a 24-70 2.8 from a seller on this site and I am so pleased.
before this I bought, also from this site, a d5100 and 2 lens, well the d700 is like a whole other universe.
I used the camera for a band gig shoot in a dark bar only 1 hour after buying the camera...got alittle fowled up here and there, didn't use it to its ability but still my shots are amazing.
this is the place to buy used gear...
I have been reading the Mastering the nikon d700 and have read another plus watched a zillion videos, read blogs constantly...I am so excited with all the potential this camera and lens brings.

Floridian

Tallahassee, Florida, US
2945 posts

#12. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007
Mon 04-Mar-13 02:28 PM

I have never used a D700, but here's what I've observed in reading all the camera forums here. Nobody ever says anything bad about the D700! Read every other forum and you'll notice a fair number of complaints (focus issues? dust? lack of features?) but every post about the D700 is positive. From reading the forums, I am sure that no other camera has such a high rate of user satisfaction.

Randy

shadygreg

US
57 posts

#13. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 12

Mon 04-Mar-13 11:13 PM

My "new" D700 has arrived (and it sure looks new). I've shot a lot of slides with my Nikon FE since 1978! (and still do - get them scanned now too) but until now have not participated in the digital revolution. Waited until now for FX cameras to come down in price, because I admit, I am spoiled by a full frame viewfinder. It really "focuses" the mind (pun intended). Also wanted my lenses to have the same coverage when switching from film to digital bodies.

But this post processing "workflow" is going to take some getting used to... not used to that at all! Plan on purchasing Capture NX2 as my first wade into the RAW workflow pond. We'll see how it goes. Much rather be shooting than staring at a computer so I will be trying to find the right balance.

The D700 is awesome though. Coming from the film world, I took some indoor shots at ISO 3200 and started giggling uncontrollably at being able to do that with quality results. And the body feels good.

Should be interesting to compare the digital vs film shooting experience as I plan on doing both.

robsb

San Jose, US
14860 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#14. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 10

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Tue 12-Mar-13 05:15 PM

I totally agree with Perry. I have had my D700 for 4 years now and it is the best camera I have ever owned. My last film camera was an F3HP and aside from the 95% viewfinder and the fact that you can't change viewfinders, the D700 is just like shooting film, only better. My first DSLR was a D200, a good camera but it got iffy above ISO 800. I find myself shooting the D700 often at ISO 6400 and sometimes beyond. I get pictures I could not get with any previous camera. As for RAW, I only shoot RAW. While I first learned Photoshop, I now mostly use Capture NX2. It is easy to learn and you will get pro results with only a few hours of training. There are very good tutorials on the Nikon site to get you started and you will also find a bunch of tutorials on U Tube. I also suggest getting Jason O'Dell's Capture NX2 book. Versace also has some great DVD's on how to use the SW. I know you will love this camera. It has an amazing amount of options for setting up the camera the way you want it. est of luck with your new purchase.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

golfercat

Menifee, US
236 posts

#15. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012
Tue 12-Mar-13 10:48 PM

Congratulations on your acquisition. The D700 is a fantastic camera. very good in low light conditions and low noise at higher ISO's.

I agree with the previous post about the Nikon Manual. You can find it on the Nikon site if you don't have the original manual. Additionally, you might want to consider Thom Hogans book on the D700 as there are things that are glossed over in the NIKON manual.

Good luck and happy shooting.

piniongear

Houston Texas, US
466 posts

#16. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 15

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006
Tue 12-Mar-13 11:32 PM | edited Tue 12-Mar-13 11:33 PM by piniongear

I think Darrell Young's book 'Mastering the Nikon D700' is even a better book. Digital Darrell explains things in an easy to understand way, and does that feature by feature.
Perry

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#17. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 7

Tinkers Realm Registered since 24th Feb 2011
Thu 14-Mar-13 01:09 AM

>Greg -- I am not so sure about your assessment of the D700 as
>a "semi-pro" camera. A lot of people who make
>pretty decent livings in photography, including myself, use
>the D700. It i an awesome camera that occupies a pretty sweet
>spot cost wise and performance wise. Balanced against the D3,
>it provided equal image quality with a few sacrifices in other
>areas. In the end, that's what I use as my most critical
>measurement: image quality. You'll love your D700.

I could not agree more- the image quality of the D700 is stellar- huge congrats!

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

www.TinkersRealm.com

phlash46

Peekskill, US
2210 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#18. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 16

phlash46 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2008
Sun 17-Mar-13 01:27 PM

Another vote for Darrell's book; much better than the manual.

New York Nikoner
My Nikonians Gallery

"Insanity is repeating the same process expecting a different result" Albert Einstein

NAS can go into remission, but, it is incurable.

gtm

Searcy, US
1451 posts

#19. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 18

gtm Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2002
Wed 22-May-13 10:03 PM

My wife and I both shoot D700's. Every time I get NAS for either the 600 or 800 I keep thinking why. Simply put I love my D700. My recent $$$$ have gone towards accumulating better glass.

GARY
The Arkansas Nikonian

Marshall Photography

My Gallery

Ed911

US
222 posts

#20. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 11

Ed911 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007
Fri 24-May-13 08:58 AM | edited Fri 24-May-13 09:25 AM by Ed911

This is the exact setup that I use for nearly every shot I take. It is a killer combo...My 24-70 stays on my D700 95 percent of the time. If you're going to be walking around with your D700 for extended period of time, do yourself a favor and get a sling strap...I did...the RS-7 from Black Rapids. It's a great strap, but not the only solution...other manufacturer's make similar slings. You'll be happy you did. I do a three day bike ride shoot every year, this being my seventh year...and I used to dread carrying my heavy camera around using the OEM strap. Not so any more, not since I got my sling strap.

Just FYI....

Ed911

US
222 posts

#21. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 19

Ed911 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007
Thu 30-May-13 10:56 PM

I too love my D700...and it will be a sad day when they rotate out due to age and obsolescence....parts shortages and nonsupport.

pmbpro

CA
4 posts

#22. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 21

pmbpro Registered since 21st May 2013
Tue 04-Jun-13 05:49 PM | edited Tue 04-Jun-13 05:49 PM by pmbpro

Congrats on your recent purchase, shadygreg!

I'm in the middle of switching over from Olympus 4/3 and I just bought a D700 2 weeks ago, so this is my first Nikon DSLR camera! I only have the 50mm f/1.8 for now, but I'm picking up my 50-200mm f/2.8 (older 1-wheel version) from the post office tomorrow.

I'll be using this system to shoot concerts/performances -- lots of low-light/no flash shooting.
I also shoot shows with 2 bodies, but I'm stuck on what second body to get -- whether another D700, or another FF body that offers shooting video as a feature.

From all that I've read, I think I'm really going to enjoy my D700 and there seems to be no shortage of fans of this camera!

pmb

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt. ~ Henry J. Kaiser

shadygreg

US
57 posts

#23. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 22

Wed 05-Jun-13 11:24 PM

Thanks. I'm still getting used to my D700. Purchased Capture NX2 but have yet to play with it and figure out a "workflow". I've been shooting JPEG fine + RAW so I have the RAW files to experiment with later. For the fine JPEGs I'm trying to figure out color balance and picture control combinations to get a desired "look" right out of the camera, analogous to picking a film type and filter when using my film SLRs. I like having the dedicated WB button at the top of the camera and WB fine tune for any WB setting. Makes for easy configuration changes based on the lighting situation and/or desired effect.

The D700 will be more than enough camera for me for a quire a while. I love that I can use my MF AI/AIS lenses and get full metering. I think the camera really resides in a "sweet spot" - a pro build nice handling full frame camera that allows one to learn to be a better photographer.

dclarhorn

Berwyn Heights, US
14851 posts

#24. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 23

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002
Sun 09-Jun-13 09:38 AM

Congratulations and enjoy! I got the D700 when it first came out and I haven't felt any limitations yet despite newer offerings. I shoot RAW for my print sales and weddings, but shoot jpegs for the conventions I cover for clients where I have to send in my images right away. No problems getting it "right" in those situations with the controls of the D700. Sounds like your knowledge of configurations and settings will do you just fine.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

jcsocalphoto

San Diego, US
2286 posts

#25. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 1

jcsocalphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2013
Tue 11-Jun-13 09:41 PM

You'll love your 700 - I've loved mine from the minute I pulled it out of the box! At first, coming from a D300 DX body, I thought it was a little "soft" (images) but found that I was just mistaken. I just needed some additional practice and a little fine tuning in post-processing (a little differently than I did on my DX bodies). I can't think of being without it for now (even with the new offerings out there). For now, I've found my favorite camera of all time...
Best of lusk with your new camera.

HobokenJoe

Teaneck, US
39 posts

#26. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

HobokenJoe Registered since 20th Jun 2012
Sat 15-Jun-13 08:34 PM

I Love my D700 and would not part with it for any of the newest cameras out there.

phlash46

Peekskill, US
2210 posts

#27. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 26

phlash46 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2008
Sat 15-Jun-13 11:17 PM

Ditto.

New York Nikoner
My Nikonians Gallery

"Insanity is repeating the same process expecting a different result" Albert Einstein

NAS can go into remission, but, it is incurable.

jcsocalphoto

San Diego, US
2286 posts

#28. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 20

jcsocalphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2013
Fri 05-Jul-13 05:40 PM

I have to second that Black Rapids RS-7 Strap. I've had mine now for almost a monthand have never enjoyed carrying my D700 with the large glass around so much. It just makes sense ... sort of like the D700 in General!

hillsidekim

Hillside, US
549 posts

#29. "RE: Just Bought a D700" | In response to Reply # 0

hillsidekim Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2008
Sat 13-Jul-13 10:09 PM

I purchased my D700 (with MB-D10)(less than 1700 shutter clicks) a few months ago for a very good price. I also have a D300 which the MB-D10 fits also. I couldn't be happier. Just wanted to put in a word for Photoshop Elements 11 and the Scott Kelby/ Matt Kloskowski book "The Photoshop Elements 11 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)". I have Nikon View and Capture NX2 and think they are great, but I process 95-98% of my images with PSElements 11 and find it goes a lot quicker and simpler and does everything I need. I just feel that PSE11 is much simpler and the book is very easy to learn from.
Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

G