Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A D700 Live View question?

glxman

South Australia, AU
6654 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
glxman Moderator Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008
Sat 09-Feb-13 10:53 AM

Hi Guys,
Had the pleasure of using my D700 for some years now, and the only operation that really bugs me is the poor performance of my live view,
Very grainy and shakey, tried it out for macro focusing but the performance is that poor, it was a waste of time,
Is the live quality usualy that poor? Or have I got a faulty live view?
I have ordered a DR-5 right angle view finder to assist which can be view 2X apparently
Regards,
Gary

I used to have a photographic memory but never got it developed

sixeyes

Hertford, UK
49 posts

#1. "RE: A D700 Live View question?" | In response to Reply # 0

sixeyes Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2010
Sun 10-Feb-13 11:15 AM

I have used Live View a lot, almost exclusively for landscapes. I like the fact that I can focus anywhere in the frame, can test focus by using magnification ad I can see what I'm doing!
I have never had a problem and the results are comparable with normal focus techniques using the viewfinder. I have used Live View only with a tripod, exposure delay and remote release. It has not happened to me but I understand that prolonged use of Live View can cause problems - see p 100 of the manual.
Hope this helps.

glxman

South Australia, AU
6654 posts

#2. "RE: A D700 Live View question?" | In response to Reply # 1

glxman Moderator Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008
Sun 10-Feb-13 10:15 PM

Thank you for your reply,
Your experience sounds good, I think it may be a fault I guess
Regards,
Gary

sixeyes

Hertford, UK
49 posts

#3. "RE: A D700 Live View question?" | In response to Reply # 2

sixeyes Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2010
Tue 12-Feb-13 08:02 AM

Gary

You may well have a fault but before drawing that conclusion have you tried Live View on a subject some distance away? I hesitate to say this (I suspect you know exactly what you are doing) but I can only recreate the sort of problem you describe if I am trying to focus within the minimum focus distance of the lens, have focus mode on Continuous and am unsteady on Hand Held mode for Live View. As Live View relies on contrast detect autofocus your subject matter needs contrast. I assume you have the D700 manual . Take a look at p98, especially the point about Contrast Detect Autofocus as the shutter can be released even when the camera is not in focus. Live View needs "lock on" to work properly. When you have it the image is clear and steady in the LCD.
Again, I hope this helps. I do not regard myself as someone who can offer good advice as usually I am seeking it or delving into the manual or Nikonians!

Iain

glxman

South Australia, AU
6654 posts

#4. "RE: A D700 Live View question?" | In response to Reply # 3

Tue 12-Feb-13 10:24 AM

Thank you Iain,
I think you may be on to something,
I'm off fishing for a couple of weeks in the morning and will be using the AW100 in the boat so will be away from the D700 for a while
To be honest, I have read the manual and have a good grasp of most options but did not dwell on the LV when I did not have success with it,
I now have the manual on the iPad so will "re-visit" and have a more "confident" look at that area
Regards,
Gary

guyparker

Rugby, UK
961 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#5. "RE: A D700 Live View question?" | In response to Reply # 4

guyparker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Dec 2005
Sat 23-Mar-13 02:51 PM

I've found that Live View for Macro work shakes a reasonable amount, but I suppose that is to be expected.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G