Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Wed 09-Jan-13 08:59 PM

While I liked having my MB-16 on my N80, I LOVED having the MB-15 on my F100. But now I'm wondering if the additional sensor control/joystick, vertical shutter relase and command/subcommand dials are worth the additional weight. It gets heavy, even with my Nikonians Pro Strap and Sling Strap.

My lenses aren't "pro" f/2.8 either...typically, I'm with a 28-105 which is probably on there the most; it certainly weighs more than the 28-200G that I have. And my old 70-300D ED isn't that heavy either.

I typically have the Kirk L-bracket installed, too. I doubt taking it off would reduce much. I've pretty much had the grip on since I got the camera a little over a year ago.

I just might try it without the grip. (I've only once come close to discharging the battery and never touched the spare (in the body).

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7108 posts

#1. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Wed 09-Jan-13 11:31 PM

The grip buttons still work even when there is no battery in the grip, which will help a little with the weight.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#2. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 1

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Wed 09-Jan-13 11:54 PM

Thanks, Joseph. I think the L-bracket comes off, then the battery...actually, I'm going to remove the battery from the body, I think it will work with the battery in the grip only.

Anthony

MEMcD

US
31592 posts

#3. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 2

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Thu 10-Jan-13 07:19 AM

Hi Anthony,

>I think it will work with the battery in the grip only.

Yes it will.
Infact, I have never had a battery in the body.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

adcam

Portland, US
598 posts

#4. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 0

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007
Thu 10-Jan-13 05:28 PM

I did that about a year ago and I like it better without the grip. I don't have big hands so without the grip it feels perfect.

Bob32

Chico, US
5929 posts

#5. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 0

Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2007
Sun 20-Jan-13 12:16 PM | edited Mon 21-Jan-13 08:35 PM by Bob32

Anthony,

I bought the MBD-10 grip for my D700 more than a year ago and after using it very few times it now sits unused in a drawer. I didn't realize how much weight and bulk it would add to the D700 body, but I soon found out! When I'm taking photos I like to travel light. For me, using the D700 without the grip is the preferred way to go.

Bob

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

#6. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 0

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2005
Mon 21-Jan-13 08:21 PM | edited Mon 21-Jan-13 08:25 PM by ZoneV

When I bought the D200, it came with an MB-D200. Even as a D1-series user, I decided to try it without the grip. I actually liked it. I can (just barely) fit my three fingers on it, and it works for me. The camera feels more solid without the grip, which is plastic. I've hardly ever used the grip. I also hear (from Thom Hogan) that if you attach and remove the grip all the time, it can mess with the security of the coupling mechanisms. So, best to leave it either on or off for a while.

On the D700, the MB-D10 is metal, but still has a seam where it connects, as it doesn't have the rubber everywhere. It's also heavier and bigger than the D3 body, but not as good ergonomically (in my opinion).

Plus, I find the N80 with grip is about the same size as the D700 without grip (though not as solid).

btw, shooting a D1H one-handed last night was not fun.

So, no, you're not crazy in taking it off.

Nikon user since 2000

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#7. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 6

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010
Sun 27-Jan-13 04:19 AM

I have bear paws for hands....

The body doesn't feel comfortable in my hands without the grip....especially when shooting with large lenses.....14-24 2.8 or the 70-200 2.8 Sigma....

I like the feel and the ability to turn the camera for vertical shooting with the lense actuator on the top of the MD.....otherwise my hand is totally twisted...

Again, like most things...personal preference...

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

rutherfordphoto

Vancouver, CA
5099 posts

#8. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 0

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 26th Aug 2002
Mon 28-Jan-13 04:18 PM

I have the grip for the D700 as well. I can't remember the last time I had it on the camera. I really like the size of the D700 they way it is, easy to handle and hold.

Maybe try it that way, see how you like it. You may even find you take the camera with you more places because it's less cumbersome.

And that's a pretty nice two lens combination, You can go almost anywhre and not miss a shot

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

DBH 66

Santa Barbara, US
16 posts

#9. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 7

DBH 66 Registered since 10th Apr 2012
Tue 29-Jan-13 07:32 AM

I tripod most of my shots so I use LV on all of them and having that extra BIG battery is a big plus for me. Also I find it handy to rip off 5-9 shots for HDR.

My 2 cents,

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#10. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 0

Tue 29-Jan-13 03:40 PM

I took it off this weekend for a few shots while training (playing?) with my FMA (Filipino Martial Arts) brothers and I must say, I liked it. I have an old A-S plate for my F100/MB15 but its not an L-bracket; it worked. But I think I need to pick up an L-bracket for the D700 w/o the grip. It wasn't too bad.

Granted I wasn't carrying it around, just a few quick images and back to training. I've got to post process a few and plan on posting them...Sports or a Picture I Took, if anyone is interested.

Anthony

Bob32

Chico, US
5929 posts

#11. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 10

Tue 29-Jan-13 03:58 PM

Anthony,

The Sports forum is my favorite hangout, so I will be on the lookout for some exciting sports action shots from avm247 and his lightweight unencumbered D700!

Bob

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#12. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 11

Tue 29-Jan-13 08:02 PM | edited Wed 30-Jan-13 12:41 AM by avm247

I don't know about exciting but I will get some images in soon - hopefully tonight, Bob.

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=167&topic_id=47389&mesg_id=47389&page=

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=167&topic_id=47390&mesg_id=47390&page=

Anthony

ctadin

St Louis, US
1369 posts

#13. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 12

ctadin Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008
Wed 30-Jan-13 12:27 PM

I own 2 D700's, one with the MBD-10 grip and one without. I like to use my 70-200mm on the body with the grip and I use the other body for my smaller lens.

Cheryl

Bob32

Chico, US
5929 posts

#14. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 13

Wed 30-Jan-13 01:12 PM

Cheryl,

It's difficult for me to imagine a woman lugging around a D700 + grip + 70-200 f/2.8. Ouch! You must have taken up weight-lifting somewhere along the way! I frequently use my D700 + 80-200 f/2.8 for shooting sports events and find that that combo is much as I care to tote around. At the end of an event the combined weight seems to be double what it was at the start of the event! I might go with a D700 + grip + 50 mm. f/1.8 but the chances of me loading up with a D700 + grip + 80-200 f/2.8 are small indeed. And my 80-200 f/2.8 is lighter than your 70-200 f/2.8.

I get the feeling that you are about to tell me that you carry both of your D700s at the same time!

Bob

Visit my FlickrPhotostream

ctadin

St Louis, US
1369 posts

#15. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 14

ctadin Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008
Wed 30-Jan-13 01:54 PM | edited Wed 30-Jan-13 01:56 PM by ctadin

Bob,
I do carry both of my D700's at the same time. On one of the bodies I'll have the 70-200mm and on the other body I'll have either my Tamron 28-75mm or the Nikon 17-35mm. But, as I've gotten older, I've gotten wiser, I'll bring along either a tripod or monopod for the D700 combo with the 70-200mm lens because like you, as the day wears on, that equipment gets quite heavy.
By the way, I do work out, but more cardio instead of strength training.

Cheryl

BR

Glen Mills, US
542 posts

#16. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 0

BR Registered since 17th Nov 2006
Sat 02-Feb-13 07:36 PM

The way I shoot there is usually no need for a grip and I had never even tried one until recently when I bought a used D700 that came with one. I put it on to test it out but as it would be of little use to me and as it added noticeable weight to the camera, I sold it.

So I guess if you don't need it, there is no advantage - except to look professional and have all the point and shooters move out of the way.

Barry

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4962 posts

#17. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 1

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Thu 21-Feb-13 11:58 AM

>The grip buttons still work even when there is no battery in
>the grip, which will help a little with the weight.
>

This is something I never knew! Is that common to all the grips? Hmmm I may have to get an MB-D12 after all

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

TonyJ

Boulder, US
1467 posts

#18. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 10

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004
Tue 26-Feb-13 02:06 PM

>I took it off this weekend for a few shots while training
>(playing?) with my FMA (Filipino Martial Arts) brothers and I
>must say, I liked it. I have an old A-S plate for my
>F100/MB15 but its not an L-bracket; it worked. But I think I
>need to pick up an L-bracket for the D700 w/o the grip. It
>wasn't too bad.

I leave my l-bracket on my grip and when I need the l-bracket, I just screw on the grip. I was a full-time grip user for years and still use it when I have a heavy lens on the camera. I know it's counter-intuitive, but the big rig just feels safer in my hand with the grip.

D800e l D500 l D600 l D700 l Nikon 1 V1 l N90s l AF-S 16-35 f4 l AF-S 24-85 f3.5-f4.5G VR l AF-S 70-200 f2.8G VRII l AF-S 50 f1.8G l AF-S 300 f4 l 200-500 f/5.6 l TC-14EII l TC-20EIII l 2x SB600 l Autometer IIIF.
http://tonyjohnsonphotos.com
https://www.facebook.com/tony.johnson.photography
My Nikonians Gallery

colin1957

UK
51 posts

#19. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 0

colin1957 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2009
Tue 12-Mar-13 12:10 PM

I bought a (very lightly used) MBD-10 soon after getting my D700 last year. I hadn't really tested the extra battery capacity but recently invested in 8 black Eneloop rechargeable AA's in readiness for a holiday in Spain.

With an EN-EL3e in the D700 and 8 fully charged black Eneloop X's in the MBD-10 I've just managed a whole week's shooting (500 shots), the camera had a GPS unit attached and switched on all day. With some reviewing, deleting, and full daily back-ups the battery symbol still shows full charge. In comparison my wife got through 3 EN-EL3e's with my D200 (without GPS) for 600 shots (with lots of reviewing of images).

For me the knowledge that I can head out each day without worrying about spare batteries is worth the effort carrying the extra weight around. The only downside is that I feel more vulnerable in unfamiliar locations as the D700+MBD-10 attracts much more attention than the D700 alone.

Colin

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#20. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 19

Tue 12-Mar-13 04:14 PM

Colin, I agree, the grip adds to the attention factor of the camera (throw on an SB910 and it REALLY gets noticed).

I like having it on and off...for when I decide to go incognito or when I plan on shooting more vertical images. I do love the battery life of the D700 and EN-EL3e. Took the camera on vacation and it lasted very well. Did pretty good at an air show, too, 1000 RAW images on a 16MB card...with lots of chimping and still had some power.

Anthony

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9064 posts

#21. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 0

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Wed 20-Mar-13 01:37 PM

Anthony,

My only lament in buying the D800 was not having the extra $600 to buy the grip and L plate. Now that I know the battery cover pops off easily, I am more dismayed, because the grip solves that issue.

I have become so used to shooting verticals with my elbows tucked in, that I don't know how long I can survive without one. It just feels right with a grip. I AM enjoying the reduced weight somewhat. With all the other gear I tote, it's not a factor when considering my load out.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#22. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 21

Wed 20-Mar-13 04:45 PM

I find myself going back and forth with the grip on or off. Now that I have L-plates for both the grip and the camera only, I don't really worry about it as long as I'm not out all day its not too bad.

Really wondering how I'd handle fast f/2.8 lenses without a sherpa.

Anthony

Bob32

Chico, US
5929 posts

#23. "RE: Hmmm...I think I might take off my MBD-10" | In response to Reply # 22

Wed 20-Mar-13 06:48 PM

Anthony,

Lugging around my D700/80-200 f/2.8 combo gets to be a chore before much time passes. I definitely would not want to do it having to endure the additional bulk and weight of the grip. I prefer not to consign myself to the role of being a beast of burden!

Bob

G