Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A public apology to my D700 ....

Ray B

Worthing, UK
210 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ray B Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Wed 02-Jan-13 07:02 PM

I feel compelled to offer up a public apology to my beloved D700, a faithful friend since 2008....

OK, I admit it. I broke my own rule, don't get seduced by the latest bodies, add glass to feed your NAS if justified instead....

1. Have I outgrown my D700? .... Nope..... it's still a better camera than I am a photographer ...

2. Do I print BIG ?? nope....

3. Have I missed a shot due to "limitations" with my D700 ?? Nope!! (In fact it has given me more wonderful keepers than I deserve!!)

4. Did my D700 become a bad camera when the latest bodies arrived? Nope....

So, how did I repay my trusty servant? I bought a D800 !! Got it home New Years Eve, rattled off a few shots New Years Day, love the images, hated the download times to my pimped up Mac Pro and more sluggish PP response, marveled at the images then went to bed for a sleepless night... troubled....

Woke up this morning with clarity of mind, an epiphany?? ... Yep the D800 images are awesome, but I don't need the extra PP drain and my D700 images are awesome too. I was seduced by the extra DR particularly (note to self and New Years resolution, learn HDR for some of my landscape stuff with D700, I keep putting it off)

So, with clarity of mind restored back to the store today to return my D800 and home again with the much less expensive and new 70-200mm f4.0 VRIII - glass which I know will ADD to my photography.

So, again a very humble public apology to my D700, you are all the camera I need (and more) for the foreseeable future and it's my duty to continue to strive to deliver images that befit your pedigree and bolt worthy glass suitable for the task in hand upon you ...

Taking nothing away from the newer bodies, they are awesome tools, but not for me...

Amen....

Regards, Ray

Visit: My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

niksi

Kranj, SI
219 posts

#1. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 0

niksi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2006
Wed 02-Jan-13 07:35 PM

Ray, did you read my mind recently?

I went through your whole Q&A procedure and all my answers were ... Nope...

OK, except for the question No. 2. I very rarely print big pictures 100×150 cm, but they are absolutely great, both from D200 and D700.

I was VERY tempted to run to the store and get a new D800, but i fortunately skipped this step. Instead I jumped directly into your next morning and bought a new 70-200 f/4 VR III instead.

I couldn't do better! A couple of days later a friend of mine came to visit me with his D800 and 70-200 f/2.8 VR II. We compared the lenses and I found the pictures from my new zoom absolutely stunning. I am using it for travel and I believe it is great travel zoom.

So, enjoy your faithful D700 (it is still a great camera) and new 70-200 zoom and better improve your skills, what is exactly what I am going to do in the future.

Happy New Year

Niko
-----------------------
Never underestimate!

Nick45

Blue Bell, US
17 posts

#2. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 0

Nick45 Registered since 14th Feb 2006
Wed 02-Jan-13 08:30 PM

Yup, I have had "the talk" with myself along these same lines and agree with certainly 1,3 & 4 and maybe even 2 but I haven't really pushed it there much. It is by all measures just a really fine camera but I have been lurking around the Adorama website of late, trying to convince myself that the D800 is something that I should get. No decision yet so this post of yours is very timely as it forces some hard thinking and maybe if I go the better glass route I will be well served.
Thanks for your observations here.

Doug

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2676 posts

#3. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 0

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Wed 02-Jan-13 10:44 PM

Since 2008, my D700 has traveled with me from Russia to Patagonia and from Maine to the Galapagos - the thought of replacing this perfect camera with one of the recent offerings from Nikon has not even crossed my mind. Instead I have complemented my Nikon f/2.8 zoom lenses with some beautiful Zeiss primes.

Tristan

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#4. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 0

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010
Wed 02-Jan-13 10:45 PM

Your post was very funny !!! Just loved it...must be the "Brit" Humor LOL

I am still in the early stages of my marriage to my D700.

I am hopeful I don't ever get the 7 year itch (LOL)..

Personally, I'm gona find it very hard to replace this body with a D800...by the time I'm ready, I hope Nikon has another intermediary....I like my girls controls vs. D600, I like her Pixel count....I'm just in love right now....let's hope the NAS Body disease never comes my way...

DC

Visit my professional gallery.

dclarhorn

Berwyn Heights, US
14851 posts

#5. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 0

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002
Thu 03-Jan-13 02:34 AM

Ray, thanks for posting--made me smile. I got the D700 just a few months after it was introduced. I'm still using it for everything--including big prints and tough gigs like weddings! My clients are happy so, while I too seriously considered an upgrade, I decided to buy a few other pieces of equipment instead. For now.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

danshep

Olympia, US
1629 posts

#6. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 0

danshep Gold Member Charter Member
Thu 03-Jan-13 04:22 AM

So you told your D700 that it was just one of those "moments" and that it didn't mean a thing, right?

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#7. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Thu 03-Jan-13 05:24 AM

Ray, Guilt is a powerful tool or weapon...

I am willing to wager the siren call of 14.4 stops of DR, 25.3bits of effective color depth and incredible image quality will be calling again by spring.....
In the camera world, there is no such thing as polygamy laws, it is perfectly OK, and encouraged to have more than one mistress. Think of the D800 as a welcome addition to the harem instead of cheating, when you get another one closer to landscape season!
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

nathantw

US
184 posts

#8. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 0

nathantw Registered since 16th Jan 2008
Thu 03-Jan-13 01:56 PM

>So, with clarity of mind restored back to the store today to
>return my D800 and home again with the much less expensive and
>new 70-200mm f4.0 VRIII - glass which I know will ADD to my
>photography.

I hear you. I was dying to buy the D800 when the price was lower by $200 the past week. I made a pack with myself that I wouldn't spend that much money in 2012. I was not happy when December 30th rolled around and the $200 discount was gone. However, now that it's a new year I'm happy I did. I looked at my pictures I took with my D700 and my Gigapan unit, the pictures I took on my flickr page, and realized that it's a great camera. Also, with all the scare tactics that all the past D800 owners gave made me happy I didn't buy the camera.

Like you I decided to buy new glass instead of a new camera body.

Also http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/

Dan Bailey

US
2 posts

#9. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 1

Dan Bailey Registered since 02nd Nov 2012
Thu 03-Jan-13 09:37 PM

Good move, the new 70-200 f/4 is an excellent lens. With its sharpness, smaller and more compact size than the f2.8 version, and outstanding VR, that lens will open up shooting opportunities in ways that a new camera won't.

Dan Bailey

US
2 posts

#10. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 0

Dan Bailey Registered since 02nd Nov 2012
Thu 03-Jan-13 09:40 PM

The D700 is still an excellent quality, pro grade camera body. I still use it to shoot assignment work, and until a client tells me that the quality is not good enough for reproduction, I see no reason to upgrade. As long as it gets the job done to your approval, then it's the right camera for you.

Ray B

Worthing, UK
210 posts

#11. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 6

Fri 04-Jan-13 04:21 AM

>
>So you told your D700 that it was just one of those
>"moments" and that it didn't mean a thing, right?
>

We had a long chat and it's all fine now, really it is

It's the chat with my 70-200 2.8 I'm not looking forward too, trying to explain why he has to go to make way for his smaller brother lol !!

On a serious note yep the D700 is all the camera I need and more.

I might have been more tempted if the D600 sensor was available in the D800 body, maybe a 24mp D800 and 36mp D800x would have done even better for Nikon's sales ? This would still leave room for a D600 @24mp (after all the D3200 and 5200 have the same sensor and it doesn't cannibalize sales)... Just a thought...

Regards, Ray

expat

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT
532 posts

#12. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 10

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010
Fri 04-Jan-13 07:35 AM

Thanks for that post Ray, I went in a similar direction a couple of weeks ago and havent looked back.

My best friend bought an 800 and it was tempting to keep up with the Joneses' (as they say where I come from)
Common sense prevailed, I dont print much and have no interest in video at all.

So a new lens for the 700 became my mission but I already have the
70-200 2.8 so where could I go?
After a friendly discussion with her indoors, (which would have been ignored if neccasary) plus a little help from my flexible friend I bought the 24-70 2.8 the one which I had been dreaming about for some time.
Result - very happy. I love this addition, cant take it off the camera.
For my modest needs the D700 and those two lenses are all I need. Well until the "next time" shall we say.

expat

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT
532 posts

#13. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 10

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010
Fri 04-Jan-13 07:35 AM

Thanks for that post Ray, I went in a similar direction a couple of weeks ago and havent looked back.

My best friend bought an 800 and it was tempting to keep up with the Joneses' (as they say where I come from)
Common sense prevailed, I dont print much and have no interest in video at all.

So a new lens for the 700 became my mission but I already have the
70-200 2.8 so where could I go?
After a friendly discussion with her indoors, (which would have been ignored if neccasary) plus a little help from my flexible friend I bought the 24-70 2.8 the one which I had been dreaming about for some time.
Result - very happy. I love this addition, cant take it off the camera.
For my modest needs the D700 and those two lenses are all I need. Well until the "next time" shall we say.

rutherfordphoto

Vancouver, CA
5099 posts

#14. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 0

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 26th Aug 2002
Fri 04-Jan-13 10:40 PM

that's awesome... loved the post.

I have 2 D700's and they are my primary cameras for working. I had an evaluation D600 for a month, but at the end of the day I wouldn't buy one. There are a still a few things the D700 is better at like AF area, build quality, fps, etc.

I will eventually replace them, I'm just waiting for the right camera. We'll see what CES/PMA brings or their usual announcement later in the summer. But I won't upgrade until we see a 24mp D4 type camera.

I have had one client "complain" about my using a DSLR, more expecting me to show up with a Hasselblad MF Digital. They were more than happy with the images, but when I showed up next time with a rented H3D, he smiled and didn't even bat an eye at the increase on the invoice

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

Ray B

Worthing, UK
210 posts

#15. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 14

Sat 05-Jan-13 06:22 PM | edited Sat 05-Jan-13 06:28 PM by Ray B

>
>I have 2 D700's and they are my primary cameras for working. I
>had an evaluation D600 for a month, but at the end of the day
>I wouldn't buy one. There are a still a few things the D700 is
>better at like AF area, build quality, fps, etc.
>

Joking aside I did consider a D600 for very light duties (I have a D7000 that sometimes comes walkabout with me when I want to take weight right down) and it may be added to my kit sometime for that purpose and as a second body, but I'm passing on the D800 !!

My D700 does everything I need, I may have been MUCH more excited about a D600 sensor at 24mp in a D800 body. Moving forward down the years I hope D700 owners don't end up as disenfranchised as many D300 owners currently seem to be on the DX side !!

Regards, Ray

Partytrooper2

Adelaide, AU
246 posts

#16. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 15

Partytrooper2 Registered since 17th Oct 2008
Mon 07-Jan-13 01:20 AM

Ray - you are so right. I have a D300 and am torn, torn, torn... awaiting a D400 - I just want better low light capabilities.. especially indoors.. more pixels is nice - maybe 24 but no more, but not important..

Have put off buying any camera, could have bought the D800, or the D600... but still not convinced, and if they don't bring out a D400 am thinking of buying a 2nd hand D700.. just for the lower light capabilities.. and the fact it would feel familar to me is a bonus..

What do you think....

Photograffiti

LA (Lower Arkansas), US
480 posts

#17. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 16

Photograffiti Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2006
Sun 13-Jan-13 10:43 PM

My debate was much shorter.

I thought about upgrading to the D800, but realized that I absolutely loved the feel and performance of my D700. So, instead of upgrading, I bought a 2nd D700. I know these cameras well, and now I won't need to relearn a new camera. And for my purposes, they do everything I need them to do better than I need them to do it.

I think the D700s will be considered cult classics years from now - if they are not considered to be now.

Mark
www.markpricephotography.com

jdroach

Milwaukee, US
7020 posts

#18. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 0

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009
Tue 15-Jan-13 12:41 AM | edited Wed 16-Jan-13 12:46 AM by jdroach

That makes sense. I have D700, D7000 and have my trusty D90 to back up for some travel. I can't justify for a long time going to another device. But of course I am not a Pro and have very little ROI except the joy of photography. I have pick carefully. Now is not the time and besides I do not want to hear my D700 moaning in the dark when it becomes abandoned.

jdroach

Click on image to view larger version

Visit my Nikonian gallery
See my Website at jdroachphotography.com
See My Flickr Photostream

Photograffiti

LA (Lower Arkansas), US
480 posts

#19. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 18

Photograffiti Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2006
Tue 15-Jan-13 06:13 PM

You definitely have a nice setup with a capable backup. I had both a D90 and D7000 for a while and really enjoyed them. I decided to go ultralight and bought a D5100 for travel/vacation purposes. I'm quite satisfied with my gear right now - both FX and DX.

Mark
www.markpricephotography.com

eguli

Chalfont, US
28 posts

#20. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 0

eguli Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2006
Tue 15-Jan-13 09:51 PM

I've had my D700 for 2 years now and I still absolutely love it. Would I like a D4, yes but the D700 gives me everything I need and more. Like you I would rather have more glass to add to my bag.

Eric
Eastern Pennsylvania Nikonian
in Bucks County

Ray B

Worthing, UK
210 posts

#21. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 20

Tue 15-Jan-13 10:13 PM

Some great thoughts and views on this thread guys! I posted it with a bit of Brit Humour with a serious undertone and it's interesting to read everyone's thoughts

I don't make money from photography, it's just a hobby that's been with me from the age of 9 so that's 35 years ago now eek!

Coming from that era of 35mm film truth be told I never really got on with the DX thing and as I don't shoot long the benefits of cropped sensors don't, well...... benefit me

I have a D7000 which I appreciate and use solely for it's compactness when it suits but the files never make me smile like my D700 does.

This whole thread has got me thinking now. I've always had 2 bodies and I'm gonna say goodbye to DX and the D7000.

So.... what to do.... I'm weighing up sourcing a good second D700 or adding a D600 instead - for that lightweight thing that I like about the D7000.

Oh the joy of conundrums lol

Regards, Ray

Hotswimmer

St. Paul, US
384 posts

#22. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 0

Hotswimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2008
Tue 15-Jan-13 11:44 PM

I just upgraded from a D300 that I put 23,484 shots through. Sold all my DX stuff. Kept the 70-20mm/f2.8, and bought the 24-70mm f/2.8. What an AMAZING camera, the D700. I'll never look back. Or forward.

danshep

Olympia, US
1629 posts

#23. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 21

danshep Gold Member Charter Member
Wed 16-Jan-13 03:40 AM

<I posted it with a bit of Brit Humour with a serious undertone and it's interesting to read everyone's thoughts >

Ray, I'm glad you mentioned that, because I wasn't aware Brits had a sense of humor.

Seriously, I would like to have a demo D600 to test out. I enjoy my D700, but am thinking of an additional body.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

JerryLoSardo

Frederick, US
1095 posts

#24. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 21

JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter Member
Thu 17-Jan-13 12:05 AM

Hello Ray,

I too have a D700 and D7000. I too have thought long and hard about getting a D600 to replace my D700, and I too decided against it because my D700 is still a superb image making machine.

And now, I also am toying with the idea of getting one of the new FX models--in my case, the D600--to replace my D7000. But I don't know what I would gain. Right now with the D700 and D7000 I have two distinct capabilities. The D700, while a heavy beast, provides FX performance (whatever is meant by that) and great indoor performance because of its low-light high-ISO capability. The D7000 doesn't provide either of those, but instead gives me a lightweight casual alternative for both body and lenses. Now, I could replace the D7000 with the D600 so the D600 becomes the lightweight alternative. But if I travel that route, why keep the D700? Why not simply have the lightweight D600 as my sole body, since it essentially provides me what the D700 is already giving me? Which brings me full circle as to my original reason for considering a D600 (i.e., replacing the D700). Yep, the joy of conundrums...

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

jdroach

Milwaukee, US
7020 posts

#25. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 18

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009
Thu 17-Jan-13 11:17 AM

oops.......stumbled on an opportunity to get a D600. I guess I eat my words!

jdroach

rmsphoto2009

Toronto, CA
156 posts

#26. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 21

rmsphoto2009 Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009
Fri 25-Jan-13 03:08 PM

Hello:

I too went from a 35mm F100 to the "digital version" D700 four years ago. While I was originally thinking of waiting at that time for the next generation "D800" (which it ultimately became), I am glad that I got the D700. At minimum, it afforded me a whole new world of photography and has travelled extensively with me over the years.

The feel of the F100 is awesome, especially when mated with my MB-15 (?) grip. I haven't purchased the D700 grip as of yet (considering it though), but find it a nice camera in terms of ergonomics, even without the added piece.

The D800 appears smaller and maybe not as nice to hold, but I appreciate that this depends on the size of one's hands, etc.

When it was first announced, I too felt a bit torn. Sure, the image quality is potentially much better, but as has been discussed, is really beneficial when one outputs large prints. I don't do that, so it is of little benefit. I know there are many other pluses, but in terms of shooting, the image quality, and what I use my photos for, it is of no consequence.

Just like when I'm shooting slides on the F100, I look at the D700 the same way. The output is great and it is so versatile.

I'm looking forward to my next vacations where I can enjoy it further.

As others have stated -- it is a true classic that is still very competitive today.

Regards,

Ralph.

Ray B

Worthing, UK
210 posts

#27. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 22

Sat 26-Jan-13 08:46 AM | edited Sat 26-Jan-13 08:50 AM by Ray B

I've decided I'm off to the camera store today. My decision is to pick up a D600 as a second body, keeping my D700 and selling my D7000 and the last of my DX lenses to partially fund it.

After a lot of soul searching I just much prefer to be at FX and although the D7000 serves for lightweight duties I just don't like the files (or my DX lenses save for the 35mm).

I'll see how that goes and take it from there.... wish me luck !!

PS, I have my step daughters 16th birthday fancy dress party to shoot tonight so that'll be an ideal first outing for the D600 and saves toting the heavier D700 with me !! (I wouldn't have taken the D7000 for that task as I don't like the high ISO noise on portrait shots and skin tones)

Regards, Ray

jdroach

Milwaukee, US
7020 posts

#28. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 27

Sat 26-Jan-13 12:33 PM

Well, I own the D700, D7000 and my venerable D90 and an old FM2 and now just got the D600. I could never sell my DX stuff. There is no way I could part with D90 or D7000...they are faithful friends served my image making well and will still do that when I take them go out for a walk occasionally. They give me the little added reach the D700 and D600 may not do at times and they do travel a little lighter when I don't want to change lenses. So I will say I have the best all worlds; a lot of FX and a lot of DX and can be termed the fully rounded Nikon man!

jdroach

Ray B

Worthing, UK
210 posts

#29. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 24

Sun 27-Jan-13 09:51 PM

>And now, I also am toying with the idea of getting one of the
>new FX models--in my case, the D600--to replace my D7000. But
>I don't know what I would gain.

Hi Jerry,

I took the plunge and bought a D600 yesterday, with a view to replacing my D7000 to sit alongside my D700.

What did I gain? A massive amount I think!

Initial thoughts on this thread:

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=435&topic_id=3949&mesg_id=3949&page=

Regards, Ray

spraay2236

US
152 posts

#30. "RE: A public apology to my D700 ...." | In response to Reply # 0

spraay2236 Registered since 26th Feb 2012
Mon 11-Feb-13 04:00 PM

When it comes to Nikon, each new generation seems to be excellent. The specs and review of the D800 were impressive. But after lurking in the D800 sub-forum it seems not all is well (quality issues, focus problems).

I had the money in hand to buy a new D800, but decided 12MP was enough and that commonality with my D300s was more important than having the new thing.

As a hobbyist, the D300s and D700 represent more-than-adequate tools. And to your four points, there isn't much (that I need to do) that a D800 does better than a D700.

I know there is a desire to have the latest thing. That's not wrong. It's the people who want better tools, that drive the people that make them. But I've decided that wanting the latest thing for it's own sake isn't how I'm always going to play it.

SP

Learning a little bit more, every day...

G