Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Value of a D700?

azphotomac

Dallas, US
36 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
azphotomac Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2008
Fri 30-Nov-12 12:27 AM

I have a friend of mine who's a Sony shooter. I received an email from her... she's thinking of converting to Nikon, is the D800 worth it?"

Hummmm loaded question, sure I'd love to have one, but considering I already have a D700 is it worth it to me to upgrade or as an additional camera. Anyway I know she shoots weddings and needs that FPS which I've heard the D800 does not possess like the D700. So I suggested a good used D700 might be a better option for her and I might know of a lightly used one for sale hint hint, less than 5K exposures since March of 2010. She's also thinking lenses as she has none that would work effectively. I have 16-35 f/4, 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8, all purchased with the camera body.

So my question is... whats used equipment worth nowadays specifically the above to a budding Nikonian ex "Sonyite"? If she goes for the whole package I could replace everything again with the D800 (E) as I shoot landscape not needing lots of FPS rates.

Thought appreciated.

Thank you,

Hugh

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#1. "RE: Value of a D700?" | In response to Reply # 0

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010
Fri 30-Nov-12 07:13 PM | edited Fri 30-Nov-12 07:13 PM by DinoCardelli

Check on the Adorama site for used equipment...they are pretty much "retail" used and are an indicator of value...same thing with other pro sites that manage used equipment...

Adorama receives and inspects all the products..I sold two lenses via Adorama when I upgraded to my 14-24 F2.8 Nikon...they paid about 70% of what retail used value was....yeah, I know, I know U can get more..but, I don't like the hassles of selling stuff....

I'd suggest you start there....

DC

Visit my professional gallery.

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3378 posts

#2. "RE: Value of a D700?" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Fri 30-Nov-12 07:16 PM

Hugh - Drop into the "I want to sell" forum for a pretty fair overview of the current market. Nikonians seem to offer accurately described equiment for fair prices -- no junk, no scams. I have seen some awfully nice D700 bodies being offered in the $1400-1600 range there. Lenses tend to hold their value and price better, especially the pro-level glass. The best make easy conversions to the next body as the previous one ends its life cycle. All said -- I will keep my lenses and am still using the amazing D700 bodies every day. Eventually I will add a D800 -- but the glass has a more or less permanent home.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Melmoore

US
18 posts

#3. "RE: Value of a D700?" | In response to Reply # 0

Melmoore Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 06th Oct 2012
Sat 01-Dec-12 01:50 PM

I just bought a good used D700 for $1450 and that seems to be about average for a body, battery, charger, manual and a few extras. i shoot a lot of theatrical productions and the low noise levels at high iso ratings is a real plus for me.

azphotomac

Dallas, US
36 posts

#4. "RE: Value of a D700?" | In response to Reply # 3

Sat 01-Dec-12 02:32 PM

Thank you for the responses... after looking around at what the cameras are selling for I've decided I'd be better off purchasing a D800 (E) at some time in the future without selling my D700 at a loss now. Probably better to direct my friend to some of the used equipment available and let her purchase that way.

Thank you,

Hugh

TonyJ

Boulder, US
1467 posts

#5. "RE: Value of a D700?" | In response to Reply # 4

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004
Fri 21-Dec-12 02:56 PM

If she's going to spend 1400 anyway, I'd point her to the D600 kit deal. It'll probably hold its value pretty well, given the big discount. She'll need a good lens anyway...

D800e l D500 l D600 l D700 l Nikon 1 V1 l N90s l AF-S 16-35 f4 l AF-S 24-85 f3.5-f4.5G VR l AF-S 70-200 f2.8G VRII l AF-S 50 f1.8G l AF-S 300 f4 l 200-500 f/5.6 l TC-14EII l TC-20EIII l 2x SB600 l Autometer IIIF.
http://tonyjohnsonphotos.com
https://www.facebook.com/tony.johnson.photography
My Nikonians Gallery

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#6. "RE: Value of a D700?" | In response to Reply # 5

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sat 22-Dec-12 02:33 PM

Quote>If she's going to spend 1400 anyway,
I'd point her to the D600 kit deal.
It'll probably hold its value pretty well, given the big discount.
She'll need a good lens anyway...Quote<<<

Make sure she gets "Hands On" before she buys a D600.
The camera does not fit my fat hands but is more comfortable than the D800 for my wife.
The kit deal may not be for her.
I've always used f/2.8 lens wide open for weddings but the D600 High ISO might make up for that.
As for lens, I could get by with only an AF-S Nikkor 70-200 VR or AF-S 80-200.
However the 24-70 or 28-70 can be really handy for receptions.

Your D700 kit is probably the best deal she can get.
If you decide to keep it, maybe you could rent it to her?

All prices are coming down right now New and Used, so it would not hurt for her to wait for an even better deal.

azphotomac

Dallas, US
36 posts

#7. "RE: Value of a D700?" | In response to Reply # 6

Sat 22-Dec-12 02:37 PM

Decided not to sell my D700 after all... would be loosing way too much money in the deal... and I have suggested to her the D600 outfit as it is a viable alternative... I think the reported dust issues will clear up in time also.

Thank you,

Hugh

TonyJ

Boulder, US
1467 posts

#8. "RE: Value of a D700?" | In response to Reply # 7

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004
Sat 22-Dec-12 03:09 PM

I kinda feel like the dust issue is something we all need to know how to deal with anyway. Sensor cleaning is pretty basic stuff (very scary the first time, though...) And of course you have to have the correct tool and supplies.

D800e l D500 l D600 l D700 l Nikon 1 V1 l N90s l AF-S 16-35 f4 l AF-S 24-85 f3.5-f4.5G VR l AF-S 70-200 f2.8G VRII l AF-S 50 f1.8G l AF-S 300 f4 l 200-500 f/5.6 l TC-14EII l TC-20EIII l 2x SB600 l Autometer IIIF.
http://tonyjohnsonphotos.com
https://www.facebook.com/tony.johnson.photography
My Nikonians Gallery

G