Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Blown Highlight Indicator in D700

joburger

AU
12 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
joburger Registered since 06th Nov 2012
Sun 25-Nov-12 01:23 AM

Does anyone know if the D700 has a blown highlight indicator? i.e. the black flashing indicator found in the D3S? If so, where you can find it. I've searched the manual but can't find a reference to such a feature. I use it all the time when doing exposure on the run.

Also, in regards to active D lighting which I understand regulates the dynamic range of any exposure automatically. Does the raw file then have to be processed through the Nikon supplied software?

Thought I'd ask the question since the D700 manual seems to be more effective than any sedative currently known in pharmacology!

SheriB

Southern York Co, US
1973 posts

#1. "RE: Blown Highlight Indicator in D700" | In response to Reply # 0

SheriB Gold Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010
Sun 25-Nov-12 09:48 AM

I bought mine used and didn't change a whole lot of the settings but when I review a pic, if I keep toggling using the multi selector switch(up or down) one of the views shows blown highlights.
I do think you have to set this up in your menu to show up as you want it( I went to the index in the back of the manual, looked up highlights, two pages, 222,264)

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3390 posts

#2. "RE: Blown Highlight Indicator in D700" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sun 25-Nov-12 10:55 PM

Chris --

Three recommendations:
-- Download the D700 manual from Nikon as a PDF. That way you can search it on your computer versus putting yourself to sleep.
-- Buy Darrell Young/James Johnson's book on the D700.
-- Buy Dave Busch's book on the D700.
Either of the latter two are infinitely more readable than the Nikon manual, and go on to contain a lot more information, including real photos versus line drawings.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

joburger

AU
12 posts

#3. "RE: Blown Highlight Indicator in D700" | In response to Reply # 2

joburger Registered since 06th Nov 2012
Tue 27-Nov-12 09:39 AM

Thanks Sheri & Alan for your replies, I appreciate it. I actually have Dave's book on the D3X and it is DEFINATELY more readable than the manual. The cameras are so similar, I didn't think it was worth buying a second tome. I think I'll try the pdf route and see what Sheri is taking about. Thanks again both of you.

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3390 posts

#4. "RE: Blown Highlight Indicator in D700" | In response to Reply # 3

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Tue 27-Nov-12 11:00 AM

There are similarities to be sure, but I have Dave Busch's Book as my primary resource for my D700 and about once a month I pick it up, open it at random and invariably learn something I can use. I also refer to it for questions. I'd get the D700 book -- it's an inexpensive "insurance policy!"

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

expat

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT
532 posts

#5. "RE: Blown Highlight Indicator in D700" | In response to Reply # 2

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010
Tue 27-Nov-12 12:28 PM

>Chris --
>
>Three recommendations:
>-- Download the D700 manual from Nikon as a PDF. That way you
>can search it on your computer versus putting yourself to
>sleep.
>-- Buy Darrell Young/James Johnson's book on the D700.
>-- Buy Dave Busch's book on the D700.
>Either of the latter two are infinitely more readable than the
>Nikon manual, and go on to contain a lot more information,
>including real photos versus line drawings.
>
>
Sorry for butting in just wanted to say what a brilliant idea that was, I have downloaded the manual and its a pleasure to use in 'on screen' form.

G