Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

DR-5 Right Angle View Finder

kantryla

UK
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kantryla Registered since 06th Nov 2012
Tue 06-Nov-12 11:54 AM

Hi all, wonder if you can help. I shoot a lot of architecture, sometimes the camera is pointed straight ahead other times its almost vertical - so with my D300 I had a right angle view finder. This was great as I could just slip it on and off with ease.

Now I've moved to a D700 things are different. I currently have a eBat clone and its rubbish - it doesn't line up correctly, plus the adapter is scratching my glasses. So looking at Nikons own solution.

As far as I can tell the DR-5 comes with a DK-18 adapter (which is similar to my clone) - it seems to have a perforated edge just like the one I'm using - so when shooting without the DR-5 I'm going to have similar scratching problems with my glasses (?), so I was wondering whether you can use a rubber eye piece - the DK-19 for instance with the DK-18, or do you need to take off the DK-18 each time with the supplied wrench. Its one thing to unscrew the DR-5 but to have to remove the adapter will be a real pain. Or have a i got this completely wrong

Thanks Giles

ctadin

St Louis, US
1369 posts

#1. "RE: DR-5 Right Angle View Finder" | In response to Reply # 0

ctadin Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008
Tue 06-Nov-12 11:48 AM

Giles,
Have you checked out http://www.hoodmanusa.com to see if they make a Right Angle View Finder for the D700?
I also wear glasses and recently purchased from them the HoodEye for glasses that I use with my D700's. It is a little large, but I don't have to worry about my glasses getting scratched.
Welcome to Nikonians.

Cheryl

robsb

San Jose, US
14958 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: DR-5 Right Angle View Finder " | In response to Reply # 0

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Wed 07-Nov-12 03:34 AM

I modified a DR-6 from my D200 using an adapter I boughton ebay. search this forum for DR-6 and my name and the thread should show up.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#3. "RE: DR-5 Right Angle View Finder " | In response to Reply # 2

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010
Sun 11-Nov-12 06:30 PM

I purchased it as well then returned it....too complicated to install for the limited use..

I have the hoodsman and it works well (eye cup) and if you use a good tripod and with a remote you can save your back..

Also, I'm beginning the treck into Tethering...so, let's see

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

robsb

San Jose, US
14958 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#4. "RE: DR-5 Right Angle View Finder " | In response to Reply # 3

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Sun 11-Nov-12 10:55 PM

I don't know if you purchased the same thing I did, but mine was not complicated or limited. It is very easy to screww off the DR-6 to use it on the D200 after use on the D700. It is a simple matal adapter that converts the end connection and is well made. I venture to say a DR-6 is better made than a Hoodsman and it also has an eyecup. On the other side of this using Live View can make a right angle viewfinder less necessary.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#5. "RE: DR-5 Right Angle View Finder " | In response to Reply # 4

Sat 17-Nov-12 10:26 AM

Bob,

What I meant by limited use...is I wouldn't use it that much..so, for the $$$, I felt it was not necessary...

I did find it abit of a pain to take off everyting each time...it's not a "quick" field change IMHO...e.g. snap off, snap on..

You have to take your time and unscrew the eye piece, slide the new one over, calibrate, etc...not saying it was difficult..just for $200 + not worth it for the amount I would use it.

dc

kantryla

UK
2 posts

#6. "RE: DR-5 Right Angle View Finder " | In response to Reply # 5

kantryla Registered since 06th Nov 2012
Sat 17-Nov-12 11:10 AM

Thanks all very much for your replies. On the point about live view - when shooting directly up in the air like I often do and close to the ground without lying under the camera its pretty much imposible to see at all - so in my case it doesn't help - actually I'd love to use live view - just waiting for someone to implement a live view feed to my ipad - that would solve all my problems !!!

Anyway for now I'm going ahead with the DR-5 and see how I get on - thanks again

Giles

Giles McGarry
www.kantryla.net

ChristopherP

Snohomish, US
329 posts

#7. "RE: DR-5 Right Angle View Finder " | In response to Reply # 6

ChristopherP Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Oct 2003
Sun 18-Nov-12 01:38 AM

I like my DR-5 viewfinder. But I had a thought you might try which is much less expensive. Since I don't have Live View on my camera this is an idea I can't use yet, but it comes from my days shooting ground glass ideal format. When the camera was low and pointing up, I used a girlfriends pocket makeup mirror. Just slipped it at right angles to the ground glass and could evaluate focus under the cloth. You might try the mirror with Live View and see if that works. Might save some scratch. If you do get the DR5 I think you'll like it.
Cheers,
Christopher
My_Nikonians_Gallery
~
My_Blog
~
my Nikonians gallery.

robsb

San Jose, US
14958 posts

#8. "RE: DR-5 Right Angle View Finder " | In response to Reply # 5

Sun 18-Nov-12 08:35 PM | edited Sun 18-Nov-12 08:36 PM by robsb

Wow $200? You definitely did not buy what I did. Mine was $12.95 and purchased from Gadget Infinity on eBay. It is black metal and looks like a Nikon part or a knock off of such. It is very well made.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb

San Jose, US
14958 posts

#9. "RE: DR-5 Right Angle View Finder " | In response to Reply # 6

Sun 18-Nov-12 08:39 PM

I don't own an iPad so don't know what kind of connections it offers, but Nikon Control Pro 2 with the standard Nikon cable does just that with any PC and maybe a MAC, but I am not sure of that. I have used it with a netbook. You should check it out.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#10. "RE: DR-5 Right Angle View Finder " | In response to Reply # 8

Sun 18-Nov-12 11:52 PM

Bob,

wow !!!

Here's what I purchased and returned....

http://www.adorama.com/NKDR5.html?kbid=912610&gclid=CPXM4tT12bMCFQeynQod8mQAJw

dc

robsb

San Jose, US
14958 posts

#11. "RE: DR-5 Right Angle View Finder " | In response to Reply # 10

Sat 15-Dec-12 04:24 AM

I did not know you were referring to a complet finder. I was talking about how to take an existing DR-6 and have it work on a D700. But if you tink the DR-5 is toomuch trouble you will think an adapted DR-6 is too and should use Live View.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb

San Jose, US
14958 posts

#12. "RE: DR-5 Right Angle View Finder " | In response to Reply # 10

Sat 15-Dec-12 04:24 AM

I did not know you were referring to a complet finder. I was talking about how to take an existing DR-6 and have it work on a D700. But if you tink the DR-5 is toomuch trouble you will think an adapted DR-6 is too and should use Live View.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

G