Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What is autogain for please?

Bearsmom2

Florence, US
75 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bearsmom2 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jul 2012
Sun 28-Oct-12 02:48 PM

Hi Everyone

While reading through my Nikonians D700 manual for the second time in an effort to understand the controls better, I ran across Autogain.

Now the explanation for what it does is pretty clear, I just dont understand what you would use it for. Not for bracketing or HDR obviously.

Maybe photo stacking or some other technique I never learned?

Just curious, thanks for any help.

Karen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#1. "RE: What is autogain for please?" | In response to Reply # 0

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Sun 28-Oct-12 03:23 PM

I see the reference in the Multiple Exposure setup, so this is not the Auto Gain Control, AGC, for audio recording.

When multiple exposures, double exposures, are made with out any adjustment the second and subsequent exposures look washed out or like a ghostly image. The Auto Gain adjust the second and following exposures electronic signal to prevent this effect.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Bearsmom2

Florence, US
75 posts

#2. "RE: What is autogain for please?" | In response to Reply # 1

Bearsmom2 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jul 2012
Wed 31-Oct-12 05:22 PM

Okay then its as simple as that. Thank you.

Having used several cameras long before the makers came up with the shutter button lock, and having lost many family photos as a child because they were double exposed, it never occurred that someone would want to do this deliberately or that a function would actually be built into the camera to allow it.

I guess thats one on me. Since it seems to hold the same exposure I guess it cant be used for photo stacking. Is that the right term?

Thanks again

Karen

Karen

dm1dave

Lowden, US
13619 posts

#3. "RE: What is autogain for please?" | In response to Reply # 2

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006
Sat 03-Nov-12 07:58 PM

>> “Since it seems to hold the same exposure I guess it cant be used for photo stacking. Is that the right term?”

You can adjust the exposure or even use bracketing between shots in a multi-exposure. So, you can stack images.

Of course you get more control if you just take several single shots and stake them on your computer

Dave Summers
Nikonians Photo Contest Director
My Nikonians Gallery | Current Nikonians Contests

Click on image to view larger version

G