Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 flash compensation issue

stratocaster1422

Whitinsville, US
46 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
stratocaster1422 Registered since 21st Oct 2010
Sat 13-Oct-12 04:00 AM

So I just purchased a used D700 and when I try to use the flash compensation button and rotate the command dials, nothing happens. I do this with the flash raised, and if I take a picture, the flash works great. I can go into menus and set the flash to manual to adjust levels, but I can't set the type of flash using the rear dial, and I can't adjust compensation with the front dial. Is there some setting somewhere that could disable the compensation button on the side of the body? I'm almost at the conclusion that this button is broken. Nothing different happens with my SB600 mounted either.

I also just upgraded my firmware and it did not fix anything.

Any ideas before I need to work out something with the seller on getting this looked at?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#1. "RE: D700 flash compensation issue" | In response to Reply # 0

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Sat 13-Oct-12 03:06 PM

I haven't been able to find any mode, button or menu setting that would disable the main or sub command dial when pressing the flash compensation button. I've tried everything on my D700 and it always works. Have you tried doing a two-button reset and a custom menu reset to get the camera back to it's default settings? If so then maybe the button is faulty.

Len

Timeshifte

Dayton, US
206 posts

#2. "RE: D700 flash compensation issue" | In response to Reply # 1

Timeshifte Gold Member Nikonian since 10th May 2012
Sat 13-Oct-12 07:40 PM

No offense but are you pushing the right button? the one with the lightning bolt ? Try it with the flash closed.

stratocaster1422

Whitinsville, US
46 posts

#3. "RE: D700 flash compensation issue" | In response to Reply # 1

Sat 13-Oct-12 08:44 PM

I did the two button reset and reset the custom menu. No change

stratocaster1422

Whitinsville, US
46 posts

#4. "RE: D700 flash compensation issue" | In response to Reply # 2

Sat 13-Oct-12 08:47 PM

Yup, the one with the lightning bolt, and nothing happens with the flash closed as expected. With the flash open, the flash dialog box comes up on the LCD, but when I hold the lightning bolt button on the side of the flash and rotate the command dials, the aperture or shutter speed will change (I have it in manual mode).

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7064 posts

#5. "RE: D700 flash compensation issue" | In response to Reply # 4

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Sat 13-Oct-12 10:54 PM

Any chance that you have auto-iso turned on?

When holding down the lightning button, the front dial will change the flash EV based on the base lighting value. That base will be different depending on your flash setting (TTL vs Manual).

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#6. "RE: D700 flash compensation issue" | In response to Reply # 5

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Sat 13-Oct-12 11:24 PM

>Any chance that you have auto-iso turned on?
>

I thought of that too Joseph. The front command dial changes the flash EV compensation whether auto ISO is on or off.

Len

G