Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Cousin

Geelong East, AU
152 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Cousin Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2011
Mon 08-Oct-12 07:32 PM

I posted this in the D4/D3/D2/D1 room, but would like thoughts from your side as well

"Need some thoughts on which direction next.
Currently using a D7000 and learning things as quickly as I can.
Had it in the back of my mind to move to full frame sometime in the future, but currently have no suitable glass.
Now, a very dear friend, very eccentric and always buying very good gear, is giving me first dibs at his D700 for $650 or his D3 for $800, both very minimal usage, as in couple of dozen shots out of each.
Bodies only.
I think I'd be silly not to take up his offer.
I shoot mostly nature and landscape, with some sports, being cycling and and motorsports, but only occasionally.
I don't plan on ever going pro, prefer to just enjoy the hobby, but I do love good gear.
My sensible side tells me to go for the D700, my irrational side says stuff it and just go the extra $150 for the D3.
What side should I listen to?"

Michael

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Colorado Kamaaina

US
20 posts

#1. "RE: D700 or D3?" | In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Kamaaina Registered since 09th May 2012
Tue 09-Oct-12 10:26 AM

Wow. I follow this forum every day, but have never posted in it. I just have to speak up at this post. What a great opportunity for you and a very fortuitous one at that.

This might sound silly but I'd be tempted to go for both, try out each to see which you prefer, then sell the one you like least - because at those prices you could probably re-sell to cover the cost of the one you decide to keep.

For what you are using the camera(s) for I think you'd be happy with either. The expense will come when you upgrade to the full-frame lenses.

Just my two cents, now back to lurking...

Lisa

Luke_Miller

Rural Virginia, US
1765 posts

#2. "RE: D700 or D3?" | In response to Reply # 0

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006
Tue 09-Oct-12 10:43 AM

While your friend is offering you a D3 for only $150 more than his D700 (what a great guy!) there is a reason the retail price of a new D3 was almost $2000 over that of the D700. The D3 is not just a D700 with a built-in grip. While the image quality of both is the same - the D3 takes build quality to a whole new level and just works quicker and faster. For $150 more its a no brainer IMO.

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

jgould2

Fort Pierce, US
4628 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#3. "RE: D700 or D3?" | In response to Reply # 0

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007
Tue 09-Oct-12 01:41 PM

Hi Michael.

Like Luke said, a no brainer in favor of the D3. Unless you would really prefer the smaller form factor of the D700 without a grip.

If you bought the D3 and tried it out, you could always sell it for more than twice what you are paying and get a D700 with part of that money.

Best of luck whatever you decide, I have one of each and consider them to be the best cameras Nikon has made.

JIM

okilayko

Oakville, CA
218 posts

#4. "RE: D700 or D3?" | In response to Reply # 3

okilayko Basic Member
Tue 09-Oct-12 05:14 PM

Wow! Wished i had a friend like that! D3 for sure!

Cousin

Geelong East, AU
152 posts

#5. "RE: D700 or D3?" | In response to Reply # 1

Tue 09-Oct-12 05:33 PM

And thanks for replying Lisa
Hopefully you'll continue to
I only have the option to choose one, the one I don't take someone else is getting

And the responses here do surprise me a bit
In the D3 room it was all very much the same, silly if I don't choose the D3
A bit biased I figured, so I'll post here for some balance
Sure is tipping heavily to one side

I must admit the size has had me thinking a bit
I sometimes use a Think Tank Streetwalker back pack and figured the D3 would not fit, so I'd have to get a bigger bag
But I did try to get the smallest back pack I could get away with, and going larger goes against that
But I'll post in bags and see if anyone has managed to get a D3 into a Streetwalker
Thanks for your replies

M

Pouncer

Memphis, US
1231 posts

#6. "RE: D700 or D3?" | In response to Reply # 0

Pouncer Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Tue 09-Oct-12 10:35 PM

Cost aside, do you need the extra size, weight, and features of the D3? Maybe, but probably not. Do you have the option to take both for a test to compare?

The D3 is tempting, but I'd get the D700 and put the extra $150 to glass.

Garrett

This is my Nikonians gallery.

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

#7. "RE: D700 or D3?" | In response to Reply # 0

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Wed 10-Oct-12 10:46 AM

The D3 is an opportunity of a lifetime to own a level of camera you will likely never again own. That can be a bad thing if you ever need to replace it.

For me it would be a no-brainer. I'd buy it without thinking.

But you have to balance the size and weight against the incremental feature set.

my Nikonians gallery.

Joey_Wilson

US
29 posts

#8. "RE: D700 or D3?" | In response to Reply # 7

Joey_Wilson Registered since 08th Apr 2012
Mon 15-Oct-12 02:55 PM

....You have good friends..... !!

I'd buy both!! You could sell whichever one you don't keep to one of us that have answered this thread......don't hesitate to contact me on either !! !! HA!!

Cousin

Geelong East, AU
152 posts

#9. "RE: D700 or D3?" | In response to Reply # 8

Tue 16-Oct-12 02:46 AM

I'll remember you all at Xmas time, Joey
lol at your avatar!

M

Wingman

Kimberley, CA
1747 posts

#10. "RE: D700 or D3?" | In response to Reply # 9

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002
Tue 16-Oct-12 01:14 PM

I have both, and use and love both. I would take the D3 in a second! The ergonomics and control layout are significantly better, and it fits my hands better. I also do motorsports and aviation work at times, and the D3 focussing system is faster than the D700. Having said all that, the sensors are the same and the image quality is identical, so you really cannot go wrong with either camera.

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

G