Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Problem with CF Card Loading Pics In Nikon Transfer

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010
Sun 07-Oct-12 07:28 PM

When going directly from the Camera to my MAC i do the following:

1.) Attach the USB to MaC (PowerBook Pro - 8GB Memory I7 processor)
2.) Plug into the camera
3.) Turn on Camera
4.) NT does not recognize the Camera
5.) I then open the camera CF door and unplug the card
6.) D700 comes up as the source
7.) I push the CF back in and then the pics begin to come up, but, very slowly and almost like they are "pulsing"
8.) Once it reaches the end of the pics...it then load the pics...but, very slowly..
9.) I'm shooting in NEF uncompressed so the files are about 28-30MB per photo

Any info or is the "norm".

TIA...

Dino

Visit my professional gallery.

MEMcD

US
31610 posts

#1. "RE: Problem with CF Card Loading Pics In Nikon Transfer" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sun 07-Oct-12 11:41 PM

Hi Dino,

I am not a Mac user however I would recommend using a card reader to download your images from the card to the computer.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#2. "RE: Problem with CF Card Loading Pics In Nikon Transfer" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 08-Oct-12 06:47 PM

>Hi Dino,
>
>I am not a Mac user however I would recommend using a card
>reader to download your images from the card to the computer.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Yes, I normally do...but, when travelling the pins broke...gona buy another today...but, found this problem when transferring...

d

niksi

Kranj, SI
219 posts

#3. "RE: Problem with CF Card Loading Pics In Nikon Transfer" | In response to Reply # 2

niksi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2006
Tue 09-Oct-12 05:01 AM | edited Tue 09-Oct-12 05:03 AM by niksi

Hi Dino,

As Marty has already mentioned, just use a card reader for transferring the pictures from D700 to your Mac.

Nikon has omitted the "Mass Storage Mode" in some latest camera models including D700. Mass Storage Mode actually presented the camera to the computer as a hard disk drive. Now just the "Camera Control Mode" is available on these cameras.

Therefore Nikon is now using PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) via USB port. Some of the computers and older operating systems do not recognize this protocol properly and therefore Nikon recommends using the Nikon Transfer program to transfer the files. In addition the computer does not recognize NEF files and just shows JPG files embedded into the RAW files instead.

Another issue with Mac computers is that Mac starts writing all kinds of its own proprietary data to the storage device as soon as you connect it to it. If the camera is not in a proper Mass Storage Mode all kinds of weird things can happen. Besides Mac is writing its data to the card for every file it reads from it.

Nikon Transfer is another kind of a sad story. It seems to change the original NEF files when copying them to the computer. Some users have complained that the files were not readable by some third party RAW converters.

Therefore I would strongly suggest to copy the files using the card reader and a Finder (or Windows Explorer in PC). With a bit of caution you will be pretty safe even in the field. After copying the files ALWAYS FORMAT THE CARD IN THE CAMERA!

Hope this will help.

Best regards and enjoy your Nikon,

Niko
-----------------------
Never underestimate!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DinoCardelli

Plantation, US
236 posts

#4. "RE: Problem with CF Card Loading Pics In Nikon Transfer" | In response to Reply # 3

Tue 09-Oct-12 08:02 AM

thank you for the updated info..

I went out and bought two card readers....the last one was a "quandry" I believe, recommended by the local camera shop..but, obviously, the pins pulled out..

I picked up two at Best Buy...Dynex..but, will search for the best one..

Which does everyone recommend?

dc

niksi

Kranj, SI
219 posts

#5. "RE: Problem with CF Card Loading Pics In Nikon Transfer" | In response to Reply # 4

niksi Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2006
Wed 10-Oct-12 08:36 AM | edited Wed 10-Oct-12 08:37 AM by niksi

Hi Dino,

I would suggest to get a brand name card reader like Sandisk or similar.
Although third party readers can be cheaper, they sometimes fail to function properly.

Several users have been complaining about Dynex that they had problems on Mac computers.

Another important notice: Buy a card reader that is compatible with USB 3 specifications. The file transfer will be much faster (provided you have a USB 3 on your Mac) and it will be future safe.

Regards,

Niko
-----------------------
Never underestimate!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G