Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New D700 user question

kristi9599

US
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kristi9599 Registered since 28th Aug 2012
Tue 28-Aug-12 03:43 PM

Hello, thanks for taking the time to read this post and help me. I just received a slightly used D700 as a gift. This is my first DSLR, and try as I may I'm having a difficult time figuring out something the previous owner adjusted in the settings and putting it back to the default setting.
When I adjust the ISO to a good setting for my lighting situation it will take one pic at that setting then it automatically adjusts to a different setting for the next pic. I have determined that it takes 9 pics total, each at different settings, before returning to the setting I adjusted to myself. I don't know what the feature is called so I can look it up in the user manual and take the auto adjust out out myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

parthalaha

US
1 posts

#1. "RE: New D700 user question" | In response to Reply # 0

parthalaha Registered since 09th May 2009
Tue 28-Aug-12 03:16 PM

Probably the bracketing has been set. Check that.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Pouncer

Memphis, US
1231 posts

#2. "RE: New D700 user question" | In response to Reply # 0

Pouncer Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Tue 28-Aug-12 03:18 PM

Bracketing is probably turned on. I can't recall the settings offhand, as there are different ways to turn bracketing on/off depending on how the camera is set up. Check the manual for the menu setting.

You might want to do a hard reset, which should return the camera to its original specifications, cancelling out any personalized adjustments made by the prior owner.

Garrett

This is my Nikonians gallery.

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3390 posts

#3. "RE: New D700 user question" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Sat 15-Sep-12 05:44 PM | edited Sat 15-Sep-12 09:41 PM by ajdooley

Two ideas:

- Please fill out your profile and equipment list so we have an idea of who you are (photography-wise) and your aspirations, and equipment so we also have an idea of what you have at your disposal.
- Then, I recommend both Young & Johnson's, as well as Dave Busch's books on the D700. Both offer a wealth of information in a much, much better organized format than the Nikon owner's manual (which you can download and search from Nikon USA), along with helpful pictures.

These books will be references as long as you own and enjoy your D700. I pick up one or the other about once a month and veerytime I do, I find something I either didn't know or had forgotten. Good books bear re-reading -- and these are both good books.

I agree that you have bracketing set by the previous owner. You can restore the camera to its "from the factory" settings, in the menu. But I am reluctant to recommend this as some of Nikon's default choices -- such as normal versus fine jpegs, make no sense at all. That latter change just ensures that you are partially throwing away the data that makes your D700 a D700!

Again -- get the books: I have both and prefer Busch's -- my choice. BTW, when you send a Nikon to an authorize service center, it will come back reset to default settings. That's why it is always a good idea, once you have your settings customized to your preferences, to copy that file onto a small flash card and keep it set aside for resetting your camera after it comes back from repair if that's ever necessary. That can save an hour of finger poking!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Asgard

East Frisia, DE
60684 posts

#4. "RE: New D700 user question" | In response to Reply # 0

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004
Sat 15-Sep-12 07:15 PM

Any Feedback, Kristi ?

Problem solved ?

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

G