Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

exposure meter in viewfinder

csrickard

US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
csrickard Registered since 15th Jun 2012
Fri 15-Jun-12 06:49 PM

This is probably a dumb question, but I can't figure out how to get my meter to display in the viewfinder. I've gone through the manual and can't find the answer. I found multiple references to it and a few images showing it, but none tells me how to do it.

Thanks for any help you can give!

sirraj

Minneapolis, US
200 posts

#1. "RE: exposure meter in viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 0

sirraj Registered since 29th Oct 2005
Fri 15-Jun-12 04:57 PM

I believe the only time the meter is displayed is when you have changed the metered exposure using the exposure compensation button.

Sirraj

csrickard

US
3 posts

#2. "RE: exposure meter in viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 1

Fri 15-Jun-12 04:59 PM

Oh. That's rather annoying. I have a D80 that has it appear all the time. I like it as a quick check when I'm about to shoot. I just assumed the D700 would have something similar.

Thanks for the help.

bkinthebay

bkinthebay, BE
409 posts

#3. "RE: exposure meter in viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 2

bkinthebay Registered since 27th Feb 2010
Fri 15-Jun-12 05:49 PM

It's there in M mode. In A,S or P modes, It would be of no use since the camera adjusts the parameters to set the meter to zero (except in cases of excessive or insufficient light when the meter actually shows up).

Bernard.

csrickard

US
3 posts

#4. "RE: exposure meter in viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 3

Sat 16-Jun-12 05:39 PM

I understand about manual mode have it set to manual. I know it's something small and dumb I'm doing wrong. Oh well. I'll figure it out eventually.

Also, I just noticed I was dyslexic when I posted in this forum. I have the D7000, not the D700. Sorry about that.

phlash46

Peekskill, US
2210 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#5. "RE: exposure meter in viewfinder" | In response to Reply # 4

phlash46 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2008
Sat 23-Jun-12 09:13 AM

Wow! You really had me going there! I ran in to check my D700 because I was sure it always displays the meter...Whew!

New York Nikoner
My Nikonians Gallery

"Insanity is repeating the same process expecting a different result" Albert Einstein

NAS can go into remission, but, it is incurable.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G