Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Problem with auto - focus with a AF Nikkor 28-105 D mm lens

buntie01

UK
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
buntie01 Registered since 10th Jan 2011
Mon 10-Jan-11 07:18 PM

Help! I seem to have a real problem with both auto and manual focus on my D700 in conjunction with a Af Nikkor 28-105 1:3.5-4.5 D lens and yet no issues with any other (also Nikon AF D type lenses). In auto focus I am using the single point focus and when I try to focus on close up subjects I have no issues but with far away subjects the camera is ok at 105mm and also ok at 28mm but around 50 - 90 it can't focus at all, I've tried it manually and no luck with this either. The lens works fine on my other camera and by all accounts it should be compatible with the D700.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Thanks.

MEMcD

US
31270 posts

#1. "RE: Problem with auto - focus with a AF Nikkor 28-105 D mm lens " | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Mon 10-Jan-11 07:06 PM

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
Are you using a good AF target?
Try cycling the AF/MF switch on both the lens and camera body back and fouth a few times.
Have you tried cleaning the electrical contacts on both the lens and the camera body?
Also moke sure the electrical contacts on the lens are all projection out the same distance. They are spring loaded and can get jammed in.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#2. "RE: Problem with auto - focus with a AF Nikkor 28-105 D mm lens " | In response to Reply # 0

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Mon 10-Jan-11 07:27 PM

That lens worked fine on my D700, so it's not a lens/body issue. Like Marty says, check and clean the CPU contacts, most likely on the D700.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

dclarhorn

Berwyn Heights, US
14836 posts

#3. "RE: Problem with auto - focus with a AF Nikkor 28-105 D mm lens " | In response to Reply # 0

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002
Mon 10-Jan-11 07:51 PM

Marty has some good suggestions. Otherwise, I can report no problems at all on my D700.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

buntie01

UK
2 posts

#4. "RE: Problem with auto - focus with a AF Nikkor 28-105 D mm lens " | In response to Reply # 1

buntie01 Registered since 10th Jan 2011
Tue 11-Jan-11 05:39 AM

Thanks for your help. I have cleaned the contacts but still no joy. The odd thing is that the lens works fine on my other camera - a Fuji S5 Pro. Also tried switching between manual and auto focus on the camera a few times as you suggest - although there is no AF/MF switch on the lens ( its an old film lens). Do you think it might be a fault with the camera itself? It seems unlikley as my other two lenses work with it no problem.....

Sarah

MEMcD

US
31270 posts

#5. "RE: Problem with auto - focus with a AF Nikkor 28-105 D mm lens " | In response to Reply # 4

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Tue 11-Jan-11 02:26 PM

Hi Sarah,

Since your other two lenses work on your D700, that would indicate the problem is with the lens and not the camera body.
Is there excessive play when the lens is locked in the mount?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

#6. "RE: Problem with auto - focus with a AF Nikkor 28-105 D mm lens " | In response to Reply # 5

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Tue 11-Jan-11 05:26 PM

Except that the lens works on Sarah's other camera. Could this be her only screw type lens? It could be the body, if that is the case. Perhaps the D700 has a problem with its drive mechanism. If the other lenses are screw type then it's a toss up?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

Franko170

US
8 posts

#7. "RE: Problem with auto - focus with a AF Nikkor 28-105 D mm lens " | In response to Reply # 3

Franko170 Registered since 07th Nov 2012
Sat 24-Nov-12 02:53 AM

I just picked up this lens on ebay and am having the same problems in the same range on my new D600. Cleaning contacts hasn't changed anything. What's different about this lens?
I can put on my Sigma 17-50 2.8 DX and everything is tack sharp; put on an 85 1.8 D and everything is tack sharp. It's not the camera.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#8. "RE: Problem with auto - focus with a AF Nikkor 28-105 D mm lens " | In response to Reply # 7

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sat 24-Nov-12 04:47 AM

Welcome to Nikonians!

It sounds like your 28-105mm lens may have a fault. Was it purchased from a reputable seller? There's no reason why this lens should perform significantly worse than your other two, unless there is something wrong with it

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Franko170

US
8 posts

#9. "RE: Problem with auto - focus with a AF Nikkor 28-105 D mm lens " | In response to Reply # 8

Sat 24-Nov-12 05:06 PM

Got it from ebay, but from a camera club that claimed they had thoroughly checked it over.

Took me awhile to figure out whether it was the camera or the lens, and then only at certain focal lengths. Kinda bummed. Will see if I can get any refund, it's been a couple weeks.

mkmull77

Fond du Lac, US
129 posts

#10. "RE: Problem with auto - focus with a AF Nikkor 28-105 D mm lens " | In response to Reply # 9

mkmull77 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2010
Sun 25-Nov-12 01:25 PM

I had a similar issue with the same model lens and my D700 while at a NASCAR race in Michigan. My problem was only temporary though, I flipped the switches, looked at / wiped the contacts, and remounted the lens several times, I stopped using it for 20 minutes or so as I went for a refreshment. When I took it in hand again to change lenses I tried it once more and it worked fine and has been ever since. I’m not sure what happened.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Franko170

US
8 posts

#11. "RE: Problem with auto - focus with a AF Nikkor 28-105 D mm lens " | In response to Reply # 10

Sun 25-Nov-12 07:34 PM

> I had a similar issue with the same model lens and my D700
>while at a NASCAR race in Michigan. My problem was only
>temporary though, I flipped the switches, looked at / wiped
>the contacts, and remounted the lens several times, I stopped
>using it for 20 minutes or so as I went for a refreshment.
>When I took it in hand again to change lenses I tried it once
>more and it worked fine and has been ever since. I’m not sure
>what happened.

Went to the back door and shot at three different focus points with a 35-70. 3.3-4.5 and focus was quick and accurate on the D600.

I remove that lens and put on the 28-105 and shoot at the same focus points, the middle distance the 28-105 will not find focus. I had cleaned sensor, flipped switches and such before trying it.

I put the 28-105 on my D90 and it seems to focus at all focal lengths.

Franko170

US
8 posts

#12. "RE: Problem with auto - focus with a AF Nikkor 28-105 D mm lens " | In response to Reply # 11

Wed 28-Nov-12 03:06 AM

So I boxed up the 28-105 and it is being sent back for a refund (minus a restocking fee, great).

As I'm not having a problem with any other lenses, new or old, on the D600, I have to believe there is some incompatibility with that particular lens.

SO - What's different about the D90 vs the D600? The 28-105 seemed to focus at all ranges on my D90. This is what has me puzzled the most. Something peculiar to the D600?

I have a Nikkor 35-70 from film days that has good focus at all focal lengths on the D600, maybe I'll just shoot with that as a walk-around, but it doesn't have quite the reach I was looking for.

Franko170

US
8 posts

#13. "RE: Problem with auto - focus with a AF Nikkor 28-105 D mm lens " | In response to Reply # 12

Tue 18-Dec-12 02:50 AM

After asking around some more; I believe the problem with that particular lens is it was stuck in macro mode. There's a particular way to put it in macro and back out again by having the lens set to a particular focal range.

James23p

Memphis, US
11229 posts

#14. "RE: Problem with auto - focus with a AF Nikkor 28-105 D mm lens " | In response to Reply # 13

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004
Tue 18-Dec-12 03:16 PM

The 28-105 can be set to the Macro mode from 50mm to 105mm. Once its locked in the Macro mode it will not set down to below 50mm. My 28-105 is perfect on my D700 so I know they are compatible could be a bum lens or as you said it could have something to do with being locked in the Macro mode.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

Click on image to view larger version

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

hillsidekim

Hillside, US
549 posts

#15. "RE: Problem with auto - focus with a AF Nikkor 28-105 D mm lens " | In response to Reply # 0

hillsidekim Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2008
Tue 18-Dec-12 09:49 PM

I consider this lens to be the best money I have spent on a lens bar none. If you are having issues with yours and can't get it going, buy another. For the price, you can't go wrong and you'd never get it repaired for less than what you could buy another. (well maybe, if you could get away with a CLA).
Kim
Western burbs of Chicago

Franko170

US
8 posts

#16. "RE: Problem with auto - focus with a AF Nikkor 28-105 D mm lens " | In response to Reply # 15

Wed 19-Dec-12 08:30 PM

>I consider this lens to be the best money I have spent on a
>lens bar none. If you are having issues with yours and can't
>get it going, buy another. For the price, you can't go wrong
>and you'd never get it repaired for less than what you could
>buy another. (well maybe, if you could get away with a CLA).
>Kim
>Western burbs of Chicago

Done, thanks for the encouragement. Picked up a mint condition 28-105 on ebay today.

G