Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install

voyageurfred

Montreal, CA
499 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
voyageurfred Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jun 2007
Fri 10-Sep-10 03:19 PM | edited Fri 10-Sep-10 04:46 PM by voyageurfred

There's a new firmware update for the D700 which allows you to use 64gb CF cards, changes to the focus tracking and much more. The update apparently came out in January, however this info is not pinned here on the Forum so I thought I would post a short how-to.

If you just recently purchased a D700, or you've owned one for a while, you can confirm if your camera has the correct firmware by going to MENU, select the TOOLS icon, then scroll to the last item FIRMWARE and verify the installed version. Most cams ship with 1.01, so you will want to upgrade to the latest - version 1.02

This morning I visited the Nikon USA site and performed the firmware update myself. After reading through the downloaded six page PDF instructions, I then used an empty and re-formatted CF card following the procedures outlined. Its relatively easy - the whole update took about 4 to 5 minutes.

I'm on a Mac, and the one thing I found confusing from the info was the icon they showed on the PDF instructions. It resembled a camera or something, the detail was soft as seen in this screen shot from the PDF:

Click on image to view larger version

I could not pull it up in Preview so I had to go to the "Download" file folder (I'm on the Snow Leopard OS v10.6.4)
and find the Nikon file there. The icon indicates its a zipped file as seen in this screen shot:

I clicked on the zipped file, figuring the .bin file I was supposed to transfer was inside. This just created a second zipped file with the same number. So I guessed (correctly) that the CAMERA would open the zipped file. I dragged the zipped file marked .bin from the Download file to the USB-CF card reader icon marked D700 (this may appear differently on Windows PC's) to be uploaded into the CF card.

After the upload was completed, I ejected the card from the reader, then loaded it into the camera, following the instructions on the PDF by going to Menu->Tools->Firmware->UPDATE.

After the update was complete, a message came up saying to switch the camera off. And that was it.

So what does the Firmware update give you? There's a long list which you can read about on the download page. Here's the NIKON USA link for the update:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16657/~/current-versions-of-nikon-software

Now to go and test this cam with the new software!
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Frederic in Montréal

Nothing ventured... nothing gained!
http://www.RemarkableImages.ca
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16969 posts

#1. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 0

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Fri 10-Sep-10 01:52 PM

Just to avoid confusion, this firmware update came out in January, so it was discussed in the forums at that time.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

voyageurfred

Montreal, CA
499 posts

#2. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 1

Fri 10-Sep-10 02:30 PM | edited Fri 10-Sep-10 03:21 PM by voyageurfred

Thanks Rick. I edited my post above. It may have been discussed back in January, however I was not aware of it. Its not like Nikon sends every owner an email saying "Firmware Update!" like car manufacturers do when there is a vehicle recall

It was only while reading another post by a Nikonian about focus issues with his D700 and the firmware update performed when his camera went in for servicing, that I learned of the update.

Now if the Nikonians team were to PIN this item at the top of the D700 forum, new members who join, or those who upgrade in the near future to a D700, will learn about this firmware update too.

Best regards,
Frederic

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#3. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 2

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Fri 10-Sep-10 02:50 PM

When this firmware update was announced on 10th January 2010, it was highlighted in our Nikonians News Blog. That's our normal practice.

And here is the first of several threads about the update in this Forum, from the same day.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

voyageurfred

Montreal, CA
499 posts

#4. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 3

Fri 10-Sep-10 03:09 PM | edited Fri 10-Sep-10 03:19 PM by voyageurfred

Thanks Brian. I think pinning it at the top of the D700 page like the Team has done with the Spreadsheets feature, would be a good idea for new members or others such as myself who come onto the site from time to time and may have missed this important news.

My feeling is this kind of news shouldn't be allowed to slide off the front page into the digital morgue.

I was not subscribed to the News Blog at the time of the update so I never saw this notice. January for me was a long time ago...

Cheers,

Frederic

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#5. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 4

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Fri 10-Sep-10 04:17 PM

Or perhaps we need a page in our Nikonians Wiki listing the current firmware version for each camera...?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

voyageurfred

Montreal, CA
499 posts

#6. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 5

Fri 10-Sep-10 04:34 PM | edited Fri 10-Sep-10 04:37 PM by voyageurfred

Why not keep it simple and have the firmware updates on each page relevant for the camera used, D700 on D700 page, D300 on D300 page etc.

Example, I just updated my D300, which now uses version 1.10. If I visit the D300 Forum, having the update info at the top would be super... no need to go chasing for it in other pages, or perform a search or think about the Wiki (which is where by the way???????? I don't see it on the main Forums Lobby page)

Regards
Frederic

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#7. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 6

Fri 10-Sep-10 05:34 PM | edited Fri 10-Sep-10 05:36 PM by briantilley

>(which is where by the way???????? I don't see it on the main
>Forums Lobby page)

Our Wiki, which contains a lot of useful information but is being constantly added to, is linked to in the links box near the bottom of that page (and all others). Currently, it's the only entry - Wiki/FAQ/Help - in the rightmost of the four columns.

Just by way of a mini-survey, is anyone else reading this unaware that a firmware update was issued for the D700 a few months ago?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

voyageurfred

Montreal, CA
499 posts

#8. "Finding POUR Wiki" | In response to Reply # 7

Fri 10-Sep-10 06:23 PM | edited Fri 10-Sep-10 06:40 PM by voyageurfred

"Currently, it's the only entry - Wiki/FAQ/Help - in the rightmost of the four columns."

Ya gotme Brian! Didn't even "see" it as its in smallish type, all lonesome and buried in that small box at the bottom of the page. I can almost hear pour Wiki wimpering... "Lemme out! Lemme Out!"

So if I didn't notice it, how many others have not seen it either?

Truth be told, I found it buried on the Home page after I wrote my post - it took some looking though.

Considering the Wiki/FAQ/Help is, you say, being "constantly added to" and appears to be very important in its own right, how about giving it more prominence. Like TOP LEFT, above the listing saying General Forums, all in CAPS with a larger point size.

Hard to miss there!

A suggestion: if Nikonians has a diagnostics or site log system on its web cPanel such as Awstats or Webalizer, I'm sure the Team is able to see how many members are clicking on this link, or how many page views its getting. Perhaps change the position and see what happens.

I'll lay bets right now it will get more page views than its currently getting. And if you want it to really catch the eye, make the type in bold RED letters to really stand out. I did that with the Workshops button on my website - works like a charm!

No harm in trying...

Regards,
Frederic in Montréal

familyman1955

Orem, US
54 posts

#9. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 7

familyman1955 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2006
Sun 12-Sep-10 04:08 PM

I wonder of one of you could help me with a (hopefully) small question. When I try to do this update and I navigate to the "Firmware Version" menu, I do not get the "Update" option as shown in the directions, and therefore I can't do the update. Am I forgetting to do something to get the "Update" option?

Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

Steve

FamilyMan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cchoc

Marietta, US
5120 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#10. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 9

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter Member
Sun 12-Sep-10 04:18 PM

What is your current firmware version? If it's already 1.02 you won't get the update option.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#11. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 9

Sun 12-Sep-10 05:13 PM

One other reason for getting that message is when the update file was not written to the root directory of the CF card.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

familyman1955

Orem, US
54 posts

#12. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 11

Sun 12-Sep-10 06:49 PM

Brian,

That was it! I moved it to the root directory and it worked - thanks for the advice.

Also, sorry for not including the current firmware version (1.01), I'll do better next time.

Thanks again to one and all.

Regards,

Steve

FamilyMan

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#13. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 0

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Sun 12-Sep-10 08:38 PM

>If you just recently purchased a D700, or you've owned one for
>a while, you can confirm if your camera has the correct
>firmware by going to MENU, select the TOOLS
>icon, then scroll to the last item FIRMWARE and verify
>the installed version. Most cams ship with 1.01, so you will
>want to upgrade to the latest - version 1.02

All Nikon D700 firmware (v1.00 through v.102) is correct. V1.00 and 1.01 are not the latest versions, but they still work correctly in the D700. The v1.02 update is not crucial, but certainly was quickly proven to be stable.

Let early adopters update their (non-critical) camera firmware for at least a couple of weeks in order to see if any bugs crop up in the new version. If all is well, it's safe to do the update.

Unless there is some new feature I can't live without or a critical bug fix of some existing feature or function I regularly use or need, I always wait about two weeks before updating firmware in any camera.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

voyageurfred

Montreal, CA
499 posts

#14. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 13

Sun 12-Sep-10 09:09 PM | edited Sun 12-Sep-10 09:15 PM by voyageurfred

"Unless there is some new feature I can't live without or a critical bug fix of some existing feature or function I regularly use or need, I always wait about two weeks before updating firmware in any camera."

A good point well taken Howard. Like you, I usually delay purchasing any new product which comes to market, assessing my requirements first, and how the market reacts. Witness the controversy around the early adopters of the iPhone 4 with is antennae design problems. As it turned out, I only discovered this firmware update 8 months after it was released!

Ultimately I upgraded because of the stated refinements to the focus tracking system. For different reasons, I don't use any CF flash cards greater than 8gb, even though I led off in my post above about the D700's new ability to write to the new 64gb cards.

Mostly I view software upgrades, especially those you have to pay for, as unnecessary unless there are significant benefits offered.

I only recently upgraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard (v10.6.4) on my Mac after SL went through 4 revisions to fix bugs. I wouldn't have bothered until I found new software recently purchased would not work on my older OS. Grrrrrrrr!

Ahhh.. the digital world. Technology that never sleeps!

Best regards,
Frederic in Montréal

familyman1955

Orem, US
54 posts

#15. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 13

Mon 13-Sep-10 11:21 AM

Howard,

This is very interesting and useful information (regarding firmware update versions, waiting a few weeks for debugging to prove stability, etc.) - thank you! Where should I check for firmware updates for the D700, and I assume that they will be dated so that I know when they have been available for a reasonable period of time (the debugging issue).

Thanks,

Steve

FamilyMan

voyageurfred

Montreal, CA
499 posts

#16. "Website for the absoulte LATEST Nikon firmware updates " | In response to Reply # 15

Mon 13-Sep-10 12:14 PM | edited Mon 13-Sep-10 05:55 PM by voyageurfred

"Where should I check for firmware updates for the D700, and I assume that they will be dated so that I know when they have been available for a reasonable period of time (the debugging issue)."

Steve, you can periodically check the Download Center page at Nikon USA at the link below, then select the Nikon product you have to see if any new updates are available.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Download-Center.page

Any new releases such as the page I linked to above in my first post have the release date, so you can verify if your system is up to date. For the absolute LATEST UPDATES, check this Nikon link:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13783

If you own a D300 or SB900, there have been revisions for these Nikon products within the last year too. Its interesting to note that the page for the SB900 firmware update (ver 5.02) does NOT indicate when it was released!

The alternative is to check the Wiki/FAQ/Help as suggested by Nikonian Team member Brian (post 7 above) on the Forums Lobby main page at its current location in the bottom right corner.

I'm hoping "the Team" will move the Wiki to the top left to give it more prominence and visibility which it rightly deserves. (nudge, nudge, hint, hint )

Hope this helps.
Frederic in Montréal

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#17. "RE: Website for the absolute LATEST Nikon firmware updates " | In response to Reply # 16

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Mon 13-Sep-10 12:50 PM

You can also download Nikon Messenger and configure this program to check for upstates to the Nikon software and hardware. This program will run automatically with Nikon software, but it is not foolproof so you still may want to check the Nikon tech support site on a regular basis. The site also contains detailed instructions on how to perform the update.

Is if very important to carefully read the entire update instructions prior to attempting the process. You might even want to read it more than once and print it out.

There are warnings about the power source requirements. A power failure during installation may make your camera unusable and require a trip to Nikon repair to have the firmware written to your camera.

There are very specific instruction on where to place the firmware update file and the order in which to install the files if necessary.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

eadams629

Bronx, US
45 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#18. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 7

eadams629 Registered since 03rd Nov 2005
Mon 13-Sep-10 04:45 PM

If I didn't check in with my fellow Nikonians, I would NOT have known. Thanks to you, I know all about it.

eladams

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#19. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 15

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Mon 13-Sep-10 09:25 PM

Steve - Because (I think) you're a regular visitor to Nikonians, you'll always find firmware announcements posted in the appropriate camera forum. As well, every Nikon web site (.com, .ca, .co.uk, .de, .fr, etc., etc.) posts firmware updates on the tech support pages. It's a good practice to visit the Nikon web site from time to time to a) check for updates to the User Manual, and b) check for firmware updates.

Also, if you haven't registered your camera warranty with Nikon, doing so will give you the opportunity to provide your email address to Nikon. Once that's done, Nikon will send you an email whenever a firmware update is released. You'll also receive promotional email from Nikon, but not enough to irritate.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

jonshonda

US
215 posts

#20. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 19

jonshonda Registered since 11th Mar 2009
Tue 14-Sep-10 02:27 PM

Mine came with 1.02

I would love for you to check out www.j-strophotography.com

voyageurfred

Montreal, CA
499 posts

#21. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 19

Tue 14-Sep-10 02:51 PM | edited Tue 14-Sep-10 02:53 PM by voyageurfred

"...if you haven't registered your camera warranty with Nikon, doing so will give you the opportunity to provide your email address to Nikon. Once that's done, Nikon will send you an email whenever a firmware update is released."

That may not be universal Howard as it certainly has not been my experience. I've been registered with Nikon for years, and was in contact with their reps by email and phone when I had software issues with Nikon Scan 4 for my LS5000 ED scanner. When my Mac software was upgraded to 10.4.11, and later to Snow Leopard 10.6.4, I lost use of my scanner - it just stopped working! Nikon no longer supports the software.

I ended up buying Vuescan, which works on some 1,200 scanners including my Nikon... even better than the OEM firmware! Go figure!

Then again, maybe Nikon doesn't want to hear from me.

Frederic in Montréal

familyman1955

Orem, US
54 posts

#22. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 19

Wed 15-Sep-10 11:25 AM

Howard and everyone,

Thanks for all of the terrific information. I do get onto Nikonians every morning to check for information, and I usually find something interesting each time.

I will check with Nikon to see why I'm not getting regular emails concerning firmware updates, etc., even though I registered online the day I received my D700. Maybe my distaste for being "spammed" led me to tick off some box limiting my emails from them.

Once again, thanks to one and all!

Steve

FamilyMan

voyageurfred

Montreal, CA
499 posts

#23. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 22

Wed 15-Sep-10 12:17 PM

"Maybe my distaste for being "spammed" led me to tick off some box limiting my emails from them."

Steve, you may want to check your email user settings or OPTIONS for how incoming SPAM is handled. If you have it set to automatic delete for anything that looks suspicious, you may not see something from Nikon or other suppliers which the software deems as "suspect."

I have been using Yahoo email for 12 years, and anything that looks funny automatically goes into the SPAM folder seen below on the left. I can then review it daily, and move valid email into my IN box, and simply delete the rest without opening a thing.

The Options button in the top right allows me to attach a signature line with my website and other details, block bad web mails, establish spam filters, automatically route incoming email from family, friends and clients into special folders and more.

I subscribe to Yahoo's Premium service, which costs me all of $9.99 per year, billed to my credit card. It gives me 500 email address that can bet set to BLOCK mode for repeat offenders, plus I can send up to 20 megs in documents and pics to clients.

Works great, rarely have issues with it. For my use, its better than MS Internet Explorer and its other incarnations. Hotmail I stay away from because of all the pop-up windows.

I also use another service call Horde which is not too bad, through my ISP where my website resides.

Hope this helps.
Frederic in Montréal

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

familyman1955

Orem, US
54 posts

#24. "RE: NEW! D700 Firmware update 1.02 and how to install" | In response to Reply # 23

Thu 16-Sep-10 10:04 AM

Thanks Frederic, I'll check these types of things out, good idea.

Steve

FamilyMan

G