Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Compact Flash Card Failure with D700

Mike in FL

Jacksonville, US
581 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Mike in FL Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2008
Mon 12-Mar-12 08:38 AM

With all of the new cameras coming out with dual storage cards, I'm curious as to whether any fellow D700 users have had CF cards fail. Do any of you know of someone having a failure? If so, please tell me what you know about it. Thanks!

Mike

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7108 posts

#1. "RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Mon 12-Mar-12 02:13 PM

Over the years, I have had two of my oldest cards fail. It was similar to having bad sectors on a hard drive. Sent the first one back to the manufacturer for replacement under their lifetime waranty. On the second, I did a deep format on the computer to map the bad "sectors", but I don't fully trust that card any more.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

expat

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT
532 posts

#2. "RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700" | In response to Reply # 0

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010
Mon 12-Mar-12 05:44 PM

Didnt exactly fail but when I got my D700 I used a cheepish card from my D200 where it worked perfectly but in the 700 the green buffer light stayed on for ages. Cure - buy a CF as specified in the Nikon D700 handbook.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

piniongear

Houston Texas, US
466 posts

#3. "RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700" | In response to Reply # 2

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006
Mon 12-Mar-12 06:06 PM | edited Mon 12-Mar-12 06:07 PM by piniongear

I have had only one CF card fail.

I took the working card out of my D700 and set it on the table.

A few minutes later I mistakenly set the removed lens down on top of the card, which resulted in denting the side of the card.
A stupid and careless move on my part.

Putting the card back in the D700 resulted in the message 'No CF card' or something to that effect. And the camera would not work.

Anyway, the card no longer functioned and I had to buy another card.

Weeks later I tried the card in my D300s and it worked.
Put it back in the D700 and it worked.

So I do not trust this card, and while I did not throw it away I only use it when making junk shots.
Perry

tanker179

Palm Beach Gardens, US
3 posts

#4. "RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700" | In response to Reply # 0

tanker179 Registered since 22nd Aug 2010
Mon 12-Mar-12 07:27 PM

I'm glad to hear from you. I've had the problem for months now. Generally, I shut my 700 down, wait a few seconds and re-start.
When I use other cards, they are damaged. I'm giving thought to sending my year old camera to an approved nikon repair facility.

What are you thoughts/experiences?

rslappin@gmail.com

Mike in FL

Jacksonville, US
581 posts

#5. "RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700" | In response to Reply # 4

Tue 13-Mar-12 12:03 AM

I've had no card failures, but was wondering if the feature appearing in most of the new cameras was because there is a real problem out there. It's also possible that Nikon perceives no issue but realizes that buyers will pay more for cameras with backup card capacity.

There is a telescope manufacturer (TEC) who used to put 3 light baffles into their telescopes (baffles are used to increase contrast by blocking stray light). After years of customers speculating that their competitors might have an edge optically because the competitors put 4 baffles into their scopes, TEC started putting a fourth baffle into their scopes. When asked about it, the TEC owner/scope designer said that they now put in three baffles to block stray light, and a fourth baffle for marketing purposes.

Thanks for the responses!

Mike

SheriB

Southern York Co, US
1973 posts

#6. "RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700" | In response to Reply # 5

SheriB Gold Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010
Tue 13-Mar-12 11:16 AM

I figured most new cameras had video capability and that is why they have dual slots..but to be honest I have not check out the specs of any of the newer cameras because I do not want to start lusting after something..

Sheri Becker

blw

Richmond, US
28708 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#7. "RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Tue 13-Mar-12 11:54 AM

I've had a total of one frame lost on CF cards due to an issue with the CF card in 8+ years. (and zero lost frames from SmartMedia, SD cards and other flash form factors.)

As a whole, flash memory is extremely reliable, although it is definitely not perfect. While I think I know of a couple of cases where flash media have failed photographers, I also know of at least one case where a CF card went for a swim in the Merced River (not me, but I saw it), another one got run over by one of those warehouse tractor thingies (that one was me, I dropped it at just the wrong moment) and probably a couple of other problematic situations in which the cards and contents survived.

Far more likely to fail are the pins in the camera (I know of several cases of that) and most commonly, loss of the card itself.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#8. "RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700" | In response to Reply # 0

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Tue 13-Mar-12 12:24 PM

Dual storage card slots are more about options and feature creep. I don't think the presence of dual storage cards slots should be taken as a hint that cards might fail. Options including backup to the second slot, overflow to the second slot, JPG in one slot/NEF in the other, and still images in one slot/video in the other, cover the variety of practical storage card uses in a dual slot camera.

Two CF cards failed on me several years ago. They were a pair of older 512MB and 1GB cards with literally thousands of usage cycles. They'd simply exceeded (by far) their rated number of writes. I had the cards for eight years. CF media manufactured somewhat more recently are even more reliable. I cycle a dozen CF cards (4GB, 8GB, 16GB) in & out of my D700 (over 60,000 shots). I've been using most of the same dozen cards since I purchased the camera over three years ago. None of the cards have ever failed or thrown an error.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Devonish

Newton Abbot, UK
122 posts

#9. "RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700" | In response to Reply # 0

Devonish Registered since 13th Nov 2011
Tue 13-Mar-12 06:19 PM

I haven't had any failures. I'm using the Lexar Professional 400x, but they are quite expensive. They also claim to have some sort of data recovery in the event of a card failure, although I wouldn't want to be in the position of having to find out?

Wedding Photographer in Devon: http://www.whitepetal.co.uk

Mike in FL

Jacksonville, US
581 posts

#10. "RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700" | In response to Reply # 9

Wed 14-Mar-12 12:22 AM

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful responses.

I guess I'll do what the song says: "Don't worry, be happy!"

Mike

slothead

Frederick, US
1906 posts

#11. "RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700" | In response to Reply # 0

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Aug 2009
Wed 14-Mar-12 11:39 AM

I had one card fail (that I posted about here a couple months ago). I had dropped the card on the garage floor (the card is light - and relatively ductile - so there aren't a lot of Gs created by dropping it on concrete). As a result I lost about 6 images from the card. I can't swear that it was caused by the drop, but I did see the images in the monitor before the card was removed from the camera.

POed me because I had a perfect image that the wife wanted of her dream house - perfectly formatted and lighted. It could be a full year before that opportunity presents itself again!

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D810, D750, N1-J5, N1-V3 (and a few other cameras) and a BIG handful of lenses.

kolson

Auburn, US
73 posts

#12. "RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700" | In response to Reply # 11

kolson Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2009
Wed 14-Mar-12 01:06 PM

I had my first card failure recently using a 32gb Sandisk Extreme Pro card in my D700. It gave me amessage, something like 'Card is not readable'. Really scared me, because I already had over 300 images on the card! Finally, after getting over the initial shock, I turned off my D700. When I restarted the D700 everything was fine. Even that image taken when it failed was fine.

Gee, I just had a horrible thought. I have not uploaded any images from that card since the failure. What if I can write images to the card from the D700, but can't upload them to my computer because the card really is not readable? And, I have taken at least 200 more images with that card since the failure! I will let you know how this turns out........

nathantw

US
184 posts

#13. "RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700" | In response to Reply # 0

nathantw Registered since 16th Jan 2008
Fri 16-Mar-12 08:38 PM | edited Fri 16-Mar-12 08:44 PM by nathantw

>With all of the new cameras coming out with dual storage
>cards, I'm curious as to whether any fellow D700 users have
>had CF cards fail. Do any of you know of someone having a
>failure? If so, please tell me what you know about it.
>Thanks!
>
>Mike

I've had failures with both of my Kingston 32GB cards. They refused to work after a few pictures even after formatting and stuff. In fact, I thought I had a whole day of shooting at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. I lined up a shot of the Saturn V rocket engine perfectly and pressed the shutter button and all I had was "FEE" on LCD display and no picture. I checked all my bags for an extra CF card and apparently I left them all in the trunk of the car. So the rest of the day was without pictures.

The two replacement Lexar 400x 32GB cards have had corrupt pictures after a while and one had a total card fail after a format. I used their warranty and got new ones. I have a 600x 32GB Lexar and that one hasn't let me down yet. And before someone asks, no, I don't delete pictures from the camera, only after I transfer them to my PC.

I don't know about the 8 or 16GB cards and how reliable they are. My 4GB Sandisk, though, hasn't missed a beat since the day I bought the D700 and the card together. In fact, I knew that was my most reliable card so when it came time to shoot the space shuttle taking off I used the 4GB Sandisk.

Also http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3384 posts

#14. "RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700" | In response to Reply # 13

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Fri 16-Mar-12 09:10 PM

I have had zero cards fail in 9 years now. I have inadvertantly formatted a couple and am happy to report that the recovery software from both SanDisk and Lexar recovered all of the images I formatted and a lot of previous ones as well. I did lose one card in Baghdad. The key is to stop using any of the cards that have been formatted ASAP before you write new images over the old. Anyone who grew up with DOS (pre windows operating system) knows that when images or any files are deleted, only the first letter of the file name is deleted, and it is replaced by a character. Recovery consists of replacing that character with one that the recovery software recognizes and then reading the new filenames. Second caution: I use a maximum of 8gb cards. Even with 14-bit RAW images and a medium jpg for newspaper use when I am in a hurry, these cards hold 250 images and are available in the $40-45 range when on sale. That's all the eggs I can tolerate in one basket -- not because of failure, which I have never had -- but because of fear of loss.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

nathantw

US
184 posts

#15. "RE: Compact Flash Card Failure with D700" | In response to Reply # 14

nathantw Registered since 16th Jan 2008
Fri 16-Mar-12 09:24 PM

Believe me, I used all the DOS tricks to try to bring one of the Lexar cards back to life. I normally did a low level format on the Kingston 32GB cards and then a format in camera and it'll work fine for a few shots then became unreliable after the first pictures were taken off. Just not worth the effort. I use the cards to transfer files from one computer to the next now. Not worth risking with pictures.

The corrupt pictures on the cards were unrecoverable using a couple different recovery programs. So that's probably why Lexar decided to replace the cards. It was just happening too often with the cards I have. I expect to have it start happening again with the new 400x card. I just chocked it up to the D700 not being able to work with 32GB CF cards.

As for why 32GB, it's more for my Gigapan. Being able to shoot 1100 RAW and basic-jpg files is really nice. I did use the Lexars when I was in Hungary and they came in handy since I basically used both cards up with pictures.

Also http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathantw/

G