Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Long exposure question

iunlock

New Iberia, US
47 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
iunlock Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jan 2012
Fri 02-Mar-12 01:35 AM

I recently purchased a 10 stop ND filter. I brought it out today to take a few shots. However, the longest exposure that I could get with it in Manual is 30 seconds. What device do I need to purchase in order to have a timed exposure of say 2 minutes or more?

Pouncer

Memphis, US
1230 posts

#1. "RE: Long exposure question" | In response to Reply # 0

Pouncer Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 02-Mar-12 12:47 AM

In manual mode change the shutter speed until you see the word "bulb". The shutter will then remain open as long as the shutter release is pressed. I use a standard 10 pin remote and watch to time long exposures.

Garrett

This is my Nikonians gallery.

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: Long exposure question" | In response to Reply # 0

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Fri 02-Mar-12 04:30 AM

30" is the longest you can time automatically with the camera. Like Garrett says, put it in Bulb mode and use a remote with a lock on the shutter button and time exposure with a watch, or use the Nikon MC-36 to set time for a longer exposure.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

iunlock

New Iberia, US
47 posts

#3. "RE: Long exposure question" | In response to Reply # 2

iunlock Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jan 2012
Fri 02-Mar-12 12:09 PM

I know about Bulb exposure, what I was looking for is your suggestions as to which remotes would trigger the bulb exposure without me having to hold my finger on the shutter for say two minutes or so. Is there a remote which allows me to set for a two minute exposure, or will it just hold the shutter open and I will have to time it myself?
Thanks for yall's reply

TonyJ

Boulder, US
1467 posts

#4. "RE: Long exposure question" | In response to Reply # 0

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004
Fri 02-Mar-12 12:10 PM | edited Fri 02-Mar-12 12:13 PM by TonyJ

10 stops! Wow, that's almost a lens cap... lol

The MC36 mentioned above is what you want.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Remote-Cords/4917/MC-36-Multi-Function-Remote-Cord.html

D800e l D500 l D600 l D700 l Nikon 1 V1 l N90s l AF-S 16-35 f4 l AF-S 24-85 f3.5-f4.5G VR l AF-S 70-200 f2.8G VRII l AF-S 50 f1.8G l AF-S 300 f4 l 200-500 f/5.6 l TC-14EII l TC-20EIII l 2x SB600 l Autometer IIIF.
http://tonyjohnsonphotos.com
https://www.facebook.com/tony.johnson.photography
My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

KolinP

Weston-super-Mare, UK
248 posts

#5. "RE: Long exposure question" | In response to Reply # 0

KolinP Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 13th May 2006
Sat 03-Mar-12 02:55 AM

If your camera is rock-steady on a tripod or some stable equivalent ... then you could get the same result as (for example) a 2-minute exposure on one frame without using Bulb or a cable, by using a combination of Multiple Exposure with (for this 2-second example) a 4-shot Interval Timer sequence.

Multiple Exposures are explained on page 198 of the English D700 manual, and the tip of combining Multiple Exposures with the Interval Timer to get an 'accumulated' exposure is mentioned in the middle paragraph on page 201 of the Manual.

(I used the same technique with my D200, so it's probably possible on other models too.)

Colin P.

--
Staying busy is easy. Setting priorities is harder!
A doorway to my other photo sites

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4506 posts

#6. "RE: Long exposure question" | In response to Reply # 5

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sat 03-Mar-12 02:04 PM | edited Sat 03-Mar-12 02:04 PM by richardd300

I'm sure you know this, but a friendly tip in case you didn't.

Vitally important is to close the viewfinder blind and I even cover the plastic distance guide lens perpex viewer for exposures over about 45 secs. If you don't light will creep in and then you will be at risk of banding. See the before and after images below as an example. In image 1 you can see the tripod shadow which means the viewfinder was pointing towards the sun. Image two the blind is closed and the distance scale taped off. Both 60 secs @ f22 exposure time.

Only thought I'd mention it as it confused me, even I thought I had the viewfinder blind closed, it was sticking half open! I even wrote to Digital Camera Magazine who published my query and they told me about the possibility in bright sunlight that the distance scale should be masked off too.

Richard

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#7. "RE: Long exposure question" | In response to Reply # 3

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Sat 03-Mar-12 03:44 PM

>I know about Bulb exposure, what I was looking for is your
>suggestions as to which remotes would trigger the bulb
>exposure without me having to hold my finger on the shutter
>for say two minutes or so. Is there a remote which allows me
>to set for a two minute exposure, or will it just hold the
>shutter open and I will have to time it myself?

I explain about bulb exposure not necessarily for you, but to provide complete information for anybody in the future searching for info on this subject.

Regarding your other more detailed questions, they are both answered in the post you replied to above.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

G