Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
nevan

MU
414 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
nevan Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011
Thu 23-Feb-12 04:38 PM

Hello guys,
i'm happy to visit the forum again today.

I've been trying some news techniques last Sunday and i would like some of you to help me in this respect.

I've been trying the MUP and i have a few Qs:

-For which type of situations is it best recommended?

-Can it be used in broad daylight?Are density filters needed?

In fact i've tried it outdoor around 17 hours,settings 100 iso,aperture f32 and i had a shutter speed of 25seconds.

Does anyone have any sugestions for this type of photography?

I dont think it's suitable for portraits,since it's a very long exposure and blurring may occur!am i wrong?

I'm joining a pic of my bike using MuP,taken at 30s at f 25 and iso 100.What do you think?

I would be most happy with any of your comments and tips.
Regards
Ned

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

#1. "RE: Mirror Up" | In response to Reply # 0

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Thu 23-Feb-12 03:44 PM

I like the bike photo, but mirror up has nothing to do with long exposure.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

jjm203z

Dupont, US
1685 posts

#2. "RE: Mirror Up" | In response to Reply # 0

jjm203z Registered since 17th Dec 2007
Thu 23-Feb-12 03:52 PM

Mirror up probably best used for landscape photos and ALWAYS using a tripod for the sharpest image possible.

nwcs

Knoxville, US
7030 posts

#3. "RE: Mirror Up" | In response to Reply # 0

nwcs Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Registered since 15th Jan 2006
Thu 23-Feb-12 04:31 PM

Mirror up is useful when...

1. You are on a tripod and your exposure is 1/6" or slower (because of vibration caused by mirror slap) but after a second or so exposure it really doesn't matter because the little vibration of the mirror will be negated by the long exposure.
2. You want to avoid vibration for any reason and you're on a stable platform
3. Useful for things like flowing water, cityscapes at night, macro, etc.

MelT

Petersburg, US
4608 posts

#4. "RE: Mirror Up" | In response to Reply # 0

MelT Registered since 06th Jul 2002
Thu 23-Feb-12 06:12 PM | edited Thu 23-Feb-12 06:27 PM by MelT

>In fact i've tried it outdoor around 17 hours,settings 100
>iso,aperture f32 and i had a shutter speed of 25seconds.

I do not understand why you would leave your mirror locked up for 17 hours. In the old days with film cameras, there were two reasons I know of for mirror lock up.

1) Some of the exotic ultra wide angles required you to lock up the mirror to mount and use.
2) You would lock up the mirror so you would not get vibration from the mirror slapping up and down while taking a shot of a long exposure.
3) You use the mirror lockup for very specialized highspeed shooting. This reduces the time between exposures and wear and tear of the mirror flapping up and down for an extended amount of frames.

With today's digital cameras, I personally feel there are only two reasons to use the mirror lockup but there are two different flavors when it comes to mirror lockup.

1) Mirror Up Mode: You use this for the slow shutter rates to reduce vibration due to mirror slap. You put your camera in this mode. You click the shutter once. The mirror is raised. You wait and click your shutter release again and this will take the image. The mirror will lower once the shot is completed. Again, you use this to reduce vibration from the slapping of the mirror when shooting long exposures.

2) Lock mirror up for cleaning: You use this when cleaning a sensor
and NOT while shooting. Just like it sounds, it locks the mirror up for cleaning the sensor.

I do not understand why you would have your mirror locked up for 17 hours. This is something I would not do nor do I see any sense to it. The mirror has absolutely nothing to do with the how long you expose for an image. It is the "shutter" that does this. It is the shutter speed you need to control if want to take the milky waterfall shot, long exposures at night, etc. as suggested in this thread and NOT the mirror but using the mirror lockup mode is a good techique while shooting these long exposures to reduce vibration of the moving mirror.

If it daylight, you would need some neutral density filters and perhaps stop your lens way down to reduce the light entering your camera so you can set the shutter speed to a slower rate to capture things such as moving water (make milky), etc. If you are shooting at such a slow shutter speed, then you would want to use the Mirror Up Mode in conjunction with the slow shutter speed.

Hope this helps.

Mel

An Opinionated Old Curmudgeon from Virginia

Website - www.meltalley.com
Blog - http://blog.meltalley.com
Facebook - www.facebook.com/mel.talley
Twitter - @meltalley

adcam

Portland, US
598 posts

#5. "RE: Mirror Up" | In response to Reply # 4

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007
Thu 23-Feb-12 07:06 PM

I think he meant 17 hours as in 1700 or 5pm, but I could be wrong.

nevan

MU
414 posts

#6. "RE: Mirror Up" | In response to Reply # 4

Fri 24-Feb-12 03:18 PM

I do not understand why you would have your mirror locked up
for 17 hours.

Dont worry Mel,my mirror wasnt up for 17 hours,in fact i should say 17 o'clock!i'm sorry i lead you on the wrong way!

For the setting,i was on Aperture mode,i set f25 and i got 30s.

For another shot,outdoor,i set f32 and i obtained 1/6s at iso 100.Time was 15 44.Precisely,it's the shutter speed which puzzles me.I wonder if i got it wrong?

I want to thank you all for your comments.
This is my bike and i'm preparing myself for a 100 km Deutsch Bank fun race in October.
Awaiting for your most welcome views.
Regards
Ned

nevan

MU
414 posts

#7. "RE: Mirror Up" | In response to Reply # 6

Fri 24-Feb-12 03:27 PM

I also wanted to know whether it was the BULB setting as in the old days.

i know that each time used the Bulb with film,it was for long exposures-i remember once it was to capture the lights and reflected lights of a ship in the harbour at night.

Am i missing the concept?Or am i on the right path?

Thanking you for your clarifications.

Ned

nwcs

Knoxville, US
7030 posts

#8. "RE: Mirror Up" | In response to Reply # 7

nwcs Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Registered since 15th Jan 2006
Fri 24-Feb-12 03:31 PM

The bulb setting is all about exposure time. Basically taking the control from the camera for setting exposure time (shutter speed) and giving it to you to declare when to start and stop exposing.

Mirror Up is only about minimizing vibration. Mirror Lock Up is only about cleaning the sensor.

So to keep things simple, if you're looking to minimize vibration and are using a properly sized/set up tripod then that's when you use mirror up. Otherwise it's pretty much useless. Bulb is typically used for exposures longer than 30 seconds. I've personally only encountered that when doing night photography with star trails.

Blondul

Bucharest, RO
74 posts

#9. "RE: Mirror Up" | In response to Reply # 0

Blondul Registered since 27th Dec 2011
Fri 24-Feb-12 04:20 PM

Hi to All!

Another use of MUP and another technique:

Does Mirror Lock-Up (MLU) Help Macro Shots?

I hope it helps you to improve your new technique.

Best wishes,
Stelian

nevan

MU
414 posts

#10. "RE: Mirror Up" | In response to Reply # 9

Sat 25-Feb-12 09:14 AM

Hello to all who followed the tread and special thank to those who contibuted to it.

For sure,you have enlighten my way.I'm going to give it some more try right now.

I'm also on my way to buy the Thom Hogan's cd about the D700.

For the moment,i leave you and read you later on the forum.
Regards
Ned

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#11. "RE: Mirror Up" | In response to Reply # 0

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Sat 25-Feb-12 02:51 PM | edited Sat 25-Feb-12 06:23 PM by MotoMannequin

Hi Ned,

I think there's some confusion on terminology in this thread.

Mirror-up is a release mode for the camera. In this mode, one press of the shutter release raises the mirror, but the shutter remains closed (the image is not yet taken). The intent is then you wait several seconds for the camera to stop vibrating from the raising of the mirror. A second press of the shutter release button then opens the shutter and the image is taken. This is typically done from a tripod with a cable or wireless shutter release, so you don't introduce more vibration by touching the camera. This mode has nothing to do with exposure time, except that some exposure times are more susceptible to these vibrations than others.

Bulb mode is not really a release mode, it's a way to choose a shutter release time longer than 30 seconds. The longest your camera can automatically time an exposure is 30 seconds. To shoot longer than that, choose "bulb" as the shutter time. Press and hold (lock down) the shutter release button which will open the mirror and the shutter (unless you have mirror-up selected as release mode, in which case first press opens mirror, second opens the shutter) then you must manually time the exposure using a watch. The then release the shutter button, up to 30 minutes (at 30 minutes the camera will end the exposure automatically. For longer than 30 minutes, you will need to combine multiple exposures in post-processing).

Let me suggest that none of this really applies to taking the example picture you posted. The bulb mode is used for taking pictures at night, in pitch darkness! The reason you are getting such long exposure times here is that your aperture is set too small. So small in fact, that you may find diffraction effects are significantly degrading the sharpness of your image.

I believe f/8 is probably a reasonable aperture setting for this picture, or maybe f/11. Every time you double the size of the aperture, your shutter will reduce by ΒΌ. That means, your ISO 100 f/32 25" could have been f/16 (double aperture) 6", or again f/8 1.5". At these shutter times, you may find using mirror-up with a cable release helps your sharpness, but bulb is not required.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

nikonus

Southern California, US
505 posts

#12. "RE: Mirror Up" | In response to Reply # 11

nikonus Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 04th Feb 2007
Sun 26-Feb-12 12:17 PM

The other side of this is the video mode . I guess you go to live view off the camera back since the Mirror is up , which blacks out the viewfinder . Sounds like an external display can plugged in if the camera display is hard to see .
I see vendors selling zoom gear rings for some nikon lenses so drive motors can enable powered zooming . I see an octopus frame and cable bundle developing .

Hans K.

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery. nikonus@nikonians.org

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

#13. "RE: Mirror Up" | In response to Reply # 12

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Sun 26-Feb-12 12:49 PM

>I see vendors selling zoom gear rings for some nikon lenses
>so drive motors can enable powered zooming .

??? Can you send a link to that?

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

G