Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is the D700 still worth getting?

drseuss

Daly City, US
69 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
drseuss Registered since 14th Dec 2011
Fri 18-May-12 10:12 PM

I have a D800 on order from Amazon since March 23. While I have been waiting, I started thinking about why I am so interested in the D800. I come from using a D7000 about 1 1/2 years ago (my first DSLR). I mostly take pictures of my family and friends and an occasional basketball game, but I have recently got interested in landscapes. So I came to the conclusion that I just got caught up in the hype of the D800 and it really isn't the camera for me. I think it is a great camera, but I just don't need the high MP count. I also don't have the glass to get the most out of the D800. And I figured that I should save a few bucks so that I could invest the money into better glass. I know that I do want to go full frame just because it will pair up nicely with my interest in landscapes.

So I feel like I have two options. One is to see what else comes out this year or early next year. Two is the D700. So I'm thinking that the rumored D600 sounds interesting to me. It sounds like a full frame version of the D7000, except without the AF motor. That is fine with me.

The D700 sounds like a good choice as well. There are just a couple of things that I'm worried about. I have never used a D700, so I'm not totally familiar with it. I'm wondering if the 12MP is going to limit me. I am coming from a 16MP camera. And while I understand that MP count isn't a huge deal when getting good pictures, I do crop quite a bit. So I'm worried that I may need more MP so that I won't lose too much detail when I crop. Also, I'm going to have this camera for a long time I hope (I'm basically going to start building my glass collection after getting my body). I'm hoping that the technology in the camera isn't too outdated. I don't do large prints now, but I was hoping to make some large prints of my photos one day soon in the future.

So right now I'm trying to figure out if I want to go with the D700 while I can still get a good deal on a new one or a quality used one, or if I should pass up on the D700 and see what comes out in the near future.

Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

#1. "RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?" | In response to Reply # 0

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Fri 18-May-12 08:41 PM

You pose a good question. I have a D700 and I think it's all the camera I'm going to need for a long time. However, you are good to question the D700 choice if you are used to heavily cropping a D7000 image for your final results.

I find the 12MP adequate for all of my work which includes some full fame printing. I do heavily crop the D700 frame for the web and for 8x10 images with good results and landscapes figure in a lot of what I do.

However, you are going to loose the crop factor and that may mean new lenses - I don't know if you've figured that into your post production cropping scenario. With the right lenses, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the D700 to anyone wanting to take quality images, but I'm just not sure how interpret your usage.

I guess if there was anything "profound" I could say to your request, it would be to question whether your proposed moved to FX was really required. From what I read on the surface, it would seem to me that more appropriate glass to meet your landscape and basketball specialties might be a good next step.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

GiantTristan

Stamford, US
2676 posts

#2. "RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?" | In response to Reply # 0

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Sat 19-May-12 01:39 AM

I have been using the D700 for three years and the capabilities of this camera continue to amaze me. I don't consider 12MP to be limiting in any way, even with a 30" wide gamut monitor. For landscape photography, I really don't want to have a 36MP camera, since with FX you already can notice an IQ degradation due to diffraction between F/5.6 and F/8, while with a 12MP camera this only occurs between F/11 and F/16.

In your present situation I suggest that you get a wa lens that is suitable for landscape. If you don't need filters, the Nikon 14-24/2.8 is an excellent choice; it is sufficiently wide for use with a DX camera.
Then wait a year and see what kinds of FX bodies are available.

Tristan

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#3. "RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?" | In response to Reply # 2

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sat 19-May-12 03:50 AM

Let's put it this way, I use a D700 for all my landscape work and some portrait too. It is still one of the best Nikons ever made in my and many others view. I print comfortably to 16x12 ins and often to 20x16, the results are remarkable. Its ability to produce low noise images and its high frame rate especially with the MD10 makes it far and away still a Nikon icon in my view. The superlatives could continue, but when having to make a choice for landscape it's an easy decision. Used with a 24-70 and 70-200 lens it really comes into its own.

I also have a D7000 which is my long lens wildlife camera and accepting the extra 1.5 reach it's a good camera, but against a D700 there's no competition in my view. Although as said the 14-24 works well on it too.

I think you will gather I am a bit of a fan of the D700

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7072 posts

#4. "RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?" | In response to Reply # 2

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Sat 19-May-12 04:54 AM

I am going to echo Tristan.

From your description of what you shoot, your D7000 is a fine choice. If you want some WA lenses for landscapes, go that route. If you are doing lots of cropping, you probably need some longer lenses for those shots.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

rubo

NL
27 posts

#5. "RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?" | In response to Reply # 0

rubo Registered since 09th Mar 2011
Sat 19-May-12 06:36 AM

I recently bought a D700. It is a great camera. I kept my trusty D300, also a great camera. The 300 will be used for wildlife and the 700 for most other situations. I am amazed about the performing in bad light of the 700.
I also thought about buying the 800, but pricing soon made me decide towards the 700.
I invested my money in better glass.
If you have no other subjects than family, landscapes and occasional sports the 7000 sounds like a great camera to me. In my opinion you don't need a new camera. Better lenses is something you might want to buy.

www.pbase.com/rdsb

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#6. "RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?" | In response to Reply # 5

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Sat 19-May-12 07:39 AM

Investing in pro lenses is extremely sensible considering the cameras you have. I did this and never regretted it, besides which lenses are ageless and worth proportionally more than a camera in years to come.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

spcassidy

South Barrington, US
40 posts

#7. "RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?" | In response to Reply # 0

spcassidy Platinum Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2009
Sun 20-May-12 11:59 AM

Unless you are into video then the D700 should have plenty of technology to keep anyone happy for years to come. I have a D300, 7000 and the 700. I prefer shooting with the D700. The images have a quality that is deeper, richer and smoother (in my opinion) to those from either of the other two cameras. Add the battery grip and you get a good framrate
The money saved can be invested in good quality lenses. I have done this and the results are well worth it.
Have fun deciding!

MEMcD

US
31318 posts

#8. "RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Mon 21-May-12 05:23 AM

Hi John,

Remember that Camera bodies come and go, "Glass" is a lifetime investment.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

drseuss

Daly City, US
69 posts

#9. "RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?" | In response to Reply # 0

drseuss Registered since 13th Dec 2011
Mon 21-May-12 12:16 PM

Thanks everyone. Good advice all around. I'm going to invest in glass and if I can find a good used D700 for a good price, then I'm going for it. Otherwise, I'm good with the D7000.

espeto68

Oeiras, PT
475 posts

#10. "RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?" | In response to Reply # 9

espeto68 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2010
Mon 21-May-12 03:10 PM

Hi John,

That was the route i took a few weeks ago.
I do own a D90 and was looking for a good used D700, and found it (under 8000 clicks). Now on the same boat looking for some cash to get an 70-200 2.8 II.
I kept my D90 as a backup/long reach and been loving shooting with both.
Definetly, the best investment is on an pro glass.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, F80, F Photomic FTn

KazeyBunch

Fort Worth, US
40 posts

#11. "RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?" | In response to Reply # 10

KazeyBunch Registered since 03rd Jan 2012
Tue 22-May-12 04:22 PM | edited Tue 22-May-12 04:23 PM by KazeyBunch

YES! Definitely a lot of hype over the D800, but I haven’t fallen for it. I'm sure it's an amazing body, but the D700 is all the camera I need. I plan on buying a second one as a backup. I shoot a D700 professionally on sports, urban, portraiture and nature with 14-24, 24-70 & 70-200mm high-end Sigma & Nikkor glass. I print up to 16x24 with amazing quality (capture in RAW, process in ACR, convert to TIFF) and no worries about viewing distance - and can go bigger if I need to. The D700 is basically a D800 without video. The D700 also gives you a choice of DX or FX framing – a nice tool if I want a bit more “reach” with my 200 for in-camera cropping. I’d rather have a full frame 12MP than a cropped 16MP any day. The full frame yields better overall quality, low light performance, and dynamic range. The D700 is versatile, reliable and sturdy. There’s a reason it’s the official camera of the US military. For the shooting scenarios you describe however, the D7000 seems adequate. But if you’re going to invest in high-end glass, consider the FX vs. DX formatting, as not all lenses work on both. So plan ahead. In addition to used, watch for refurbished D700s and open box deals. I got mine for a steal because the box was open. Cheers.

www.kazeybunch.com

“You can miss a lot of moments with your head stuck in your LCD.” - Joe McNally

KazeyBunch

Fort Worth, US
40 posts

#12. "RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?" | In response to Reply # 11

KazeyBunch Registered since 03rd Jan 2012
Tue 22-May-12 04:27 PM

Fort Worth Camera had a gently used D700 in stock the last time I was in there. I wanted it, but bought glass instead. I'm betting they'd ship it to you. 817-335-3456 www.fortworthcamera.com Good peeps there. My favorite local store.

www.kazeybunch.com

“You can miss a lot of moments with your head stuck in your LCD.” - Joe McNally

dclarhorn

Berwyn Heights, US
14851 posts

#13. "RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?" | In response to Reply # 0

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002
Thu 24-May-12 12:28 PM

I've had the D700 since about 3 months after it came out. I don't feel like it's outdated at all. It's still up there regarding high ISO performance and at 12mps, I've been published and printed large gallery sized prints--even with some cropping. I've been doing paid work for six years now, and I don't feel limited in any way with the D700.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

Ray B

Worthing, UK
210 posts

#14. "RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?" | In response to Reply # 13

Ray B Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Fri 25-May-12 06:14 AM

I've had my D700 since 2008 and a D7000 for about a year, I like a 2 body system and these 2 babies cover all my needs. I've not been seduced by the D800 and can live without the enormous file sizes to manage. For sure the D700 is my favourite camera of all time and it didn't go from being the best camera ever to a useless one overnight when the D800 was announced for sure !!

Regards, Ray

Visit: My Nikonians Gallery

drseuss

Daly City, US
69 posts

#15. "RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?" | In response to Reply # 12

Fri 25-May-12 05:51 PM

@KazeyBunch

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Soapstop

CA
35 posts

#16. "RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?" | In response to Reply # 14

Soapstop Registered since 04th May 2012
Fri 25-May-12 05:52 PM

Wow. Glad I stumbled on this thread. It was like I was listening to myself ask questions. The originator of this thread sounded like me a bit ago. I own a D7000, ordered a D800, but with it being on b/o for so long (my store said 4 months if you are lucky) I bought a good used D700. I have only taken a few shots with it, but I instantly noticed what one poster said: "deeper, richer, smoother". I want to spend some time with my better glass and the two camera's side by side to see the difference. Certainly the pro-sumer layout and more options for lazy camera days make the D7000 more versatile for point and shoot, but if you are interested in the D700, it is likely that your desires have graduated beyond point and shoot anyway.

drseuss

Daly City, US
69 posts

#17. "RE: Is the D700 still worth getting?" | In response to Reply # 0

Sat 09-Jun-12 05:15 AM

So after looking around for a bit, I managed to find someone local selling a D700 with 9200 actuations and purchased on 8/2009 for $1700. One owner, and the camera looks to be in ezcellent condition. It seems like a very good deal. I'm on my way to check it out tomorrow.

G