Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 - Long Exposure Noise Reduction

SWLD

UK
86 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
SWLD Registered since 05th Mar 2008
Fri 26-Dec-08 12:45 AM | edited Fri 26-Dec-08 01:31 AM by SWLD

How much is sharpness affected by having Long Exposure NR switched on? (The D700's default is off).

Apart from sharpness (and slower in-camera processing) has anyone found any other disadvantages to leaving it on?

Simon

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16976 posts

#1. "RE: D700 - Long Exposure Noise Reduction" | In response to Reply # 0

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Fri 26-Dec-08 01:07 AM

I've never seen sharpness affected by the long exposure NR, but it's purpose is to eliminate the noise you'll see in extremely long exposures. I wouldn't leave it on in general due to the delays it causes (it doubles the time for an exposure), but it's extremely worthwhile to have it on for long exposures.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

SoCalMan

Bonsall, US
342 posts

#2. "RE: D700 - Long Exposure Noise Reduction" | In response to Reply # 0

SoCalMan Registered since 27th Jun 2006
Fri 26-Dec-08 01:46 AM

No effect on sharpness whatsoever. It merely subtracts out black sensor noise. The real disadvantage is that it doubles the exposure black out time - thus a 20 second exposure becomes a 40 sec exposure.

SWLD

UK
86 posts

#3. "RE: D700 - Long Exposure Noise Reduction" | In response to Reply # 2

Fri 26-Dec-08 08:14 AM | edited Fri 26-Dec-08 08:45 AM by SWLD

Thanks for the info chaps.

I've never tried Long Exposure NR and thought it might have some sort of sharpness-reducing effect - similar to using post production Noise Reduction in NX2 (p205 of NX2 manual).

Here's a D700 shot at 30 secs, 200ISO, re-sized to 1600x1065. I'm wondering how much Long Exposure NR would have helped here, especially in the sky areas.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee137/simonwilding/_NKN2518rs1600.jpg

Simon

blw

Richmond, US
28713 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#4. "RE: D700 - Long Exposure Noise Reduction" | In response to Reply # 3

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Fri 26-Dec-08 12:12 PM

That doesn't look like it's affected by amp noise, so probably no effect at all. What Long Exp NR does is to eliminate the pinkish blobs that sometimes seem to intrude on the edges of frames with long exposures. It's caused by thermal buildup on electronic components near the sensor, so the various cameras have different liabilities in this regard. (Presumably also the various sensors affect this too.)

The way it works is to take your exposure, then leave the shutter closed and captures another one that should be all blank. If amp noise is affecting the sensor, the camera can safely conclude that anything in the blank exposure should not be, and it subtracts that from your exposure before it saves it to flash memory.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

SWLD

UK
86 posts

#5. "RE: D700 - Long Exposure Noise Reduction" | In response to Reply # 4

Fri 26-Dec-08 04:48 PM

Thanks for the info Brian.

Simon

FrankSRGB

US
103 posts

#6. "RE: D700 - Long Exposure Noise Reduction" | In response to Reply # 5

FrankSRGB Registered since 09th Aug 2009
Sun 13-May-12 03:37 PM

I know this is an old thread but am hoping someone here has explored the differences between Long Exposure NR and Capture NX2's new Astro NR. If so, could you please look at this thread in the Digital Processing forum and share your knowledge?

Astro NR in CNX versus Long Exposure NR in-camera
https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=133&topic_id=8806&mesg_id=8806&page=

Regards,
Frank

G