Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New to the forum new to Nikon digital

Bearsmom2

Florence, US
75 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bearsmom2 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jul 2012
Mon 23-Jul-12 07:16 PM | edited Mon 23-Jul-12 07:19 PM by Bearsmom2

Hi Everyone

Well after reading for two weeks I finally figured out how to post. DUH. Amazing how you can look right at something and not see it.

I just bypassed the latest and greatest to begin my foray back into serious photography with digital and a D700. Brand spanking new off the camera store shelf, Im glad I made this decision..

D700 seemed so much like my old babies, my FM-2's when it first introduced itself however this is one complex baby so Im sure I'll be back for more help from time to time.

My biggest problem is not all those selections in the menus system, I can wade through that. The problem is what the settings mean and how to relate that to all the old films I knew so well. IE: how do I setup for a K-25 look for my macro or and E-64 look for seas and forest landscapes. What if I want that Fujifilm look. Or if I need the speed of Kodacolor 400 that I used at the Balloon races and dog shows. Im pretty checked out now on ISO theoreticaly but I havent even started trying to put it into practice.

This may make no sense to the people who grew up on digital but maybe it will strike a cord with some of the older posters.

Anyway I've rambled long enough. If you can point me to any websites, pages, or posting that will get me started it would be much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch

Karen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

avm247

Rancho Cordova, US
18758 posts

#1. "RE: New to the forum new to Nikon digital" | In response to Reply # 0

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Mon 23-Jul-12 06:20 PM

Karen, first and foremost, WELCOME TO NIKONIANS!!!

My D700 is my first (personal) DSLR and it is a great camera.

What I think you are looking for are Picture Controls. See this thread. Especially response by co-owner of Nikonians, JRP and his article shortcut here.

Picture controls can be applied in Post Processing using Nikon View NX (free) or better, Nikon Capture NX2.

Obviously, you will want to use this with RAW/NEF files.

I have downloaded the Velvia and AAAStandard-2 that were created by JRP. I have also downloaded the Nikon USA Picture Controls which can be found here: Landscape, Portrait and D2X.

I would also recommend you perform a general search on Nikon's website with the keyword "picture control" and get information there.

I also found Thom Hogan's eBook on the D700 most useful.

Again, welcome to Nikonians!

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Bearsmom2

Florence, US
75 posts

#2. "RE: New to the forum new to Nikon digital" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 23-Jul-12 09:02 PM

Thanks Anthony

Thats a big help. Just the sort of thing I was looking for. Im going to download the Nikonians D700 in ebook version in the morning. Then Ill be sending for Thoms book. Ill check out the Nikon website as well because that link wouldnt work.

Thanks again

Karen

kidkwattro

Loveland, US
17 posts

#3. "RE: New to the forum new to Nikon digital" | In response to Reply # 0

kidkwattro Registered since 25th Aug 2008
Wed 25-Jul-12 01:39 AM

Welcome to Nikonians, it's a good group and there is a lot of feedback and information to be had.

I started in film too with a Canon AE1 and then a Nikon N75. I wasn't a pro at the time and shot mostly Kodak VC160. I also come from a graphic design background and one other place to start exploring is the White Balance settings. These can make a pretty big difference in the shots, and the settings lend themselves to some really rapid color abstractions too if you enjoy experimenting. However, I do a lot of my refinement in post, not in-camera. There are too many articles online/books to mention but one I like in general is Photoshop for Photographers by Martin Evening. It has its up sides and down sides but in general I have gotten quite a bit out it for post.

I too am new to the D700 and so far I really like it. I hope you enjoy yours.

scott conner
www.scottconnerdesign.com

https://www.facebook.com/ScottConnerDesign.llc

ctadin

St Louis, US
1360 posts

#4. "RE: New to the forum new to Nikon digital" | In response to Reply # 3

ctadin Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008
Wed 25-Jul-12 11:14 AM

Karen,
Welcome! I also came from a film background, starting out with a Canon FTB (which I still own) and then a Nikon FE. After that first Nikon I got bit by NAS and have not looked back since.
I agree, there are many articles and books to mention. I like Scott Kelby's Photoshop CS6 for Photographer's Book.
I would take advantage of the free 30 day trials of Capture NX2, Adobe Photoshop, & Adobe Lightroom. You may also want to check out NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals). It costs $99 to be a member. Not sure if they offer a free trial membership.
Best of luck.

Cheryl

Bearsmom2

Florence, US
75 posts

#5. "Limited success with manual" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 25-Jul-12 01:38 PM | edited Wed 25-Jul-12 01:39 PM by Bearsmom2

Hi Everyone thanks for the welcome messages.

Here's what I found for those looking for the same thing. The D700 Manual by Nikonians is a warm and fuzzy thing for those of us who want more information. Yes I could read the camera manual but simple push this button, go here, go there, make one of these selections left my brain empty and uninformed.

The Nikonians manual so far is telling me what the effect of making selections and what results to expect to get from my selections. The brief history of Nikon Dslr was also helpful in leading me up to this wonderful camera and how it developed. Many dont need this, some do, and I do for an overall understanding of how it works.

I have found a couple of things with the Nook version and it just may be my copies. First at page 95 on both my Nook and my computer the paging sequence goes all squirrely. If you page back and forth you will eventually see the pages are there but they wont display in sequence and it will go from 95 to 97 to 100 back to 96 and variations on that but it wont display in the right order.

I found another fault earlier where the 'D' option photos displayed in the HDMI chapter and another place where the description of lossless vs lossy compression looked to me to be backwards. But Im not sure about that last one, maybe I need to reread it or find more information on compression to understand.

All in all the manual is great, just my copy is messed up and I need to investigate further to see if its just my copy or if the online files are messed up, before I can get back to my reading. I bought my copy from B&N so it should be okay it hasnt gone through any conversions or anything.

More later

Karen

Bearsmom2

Florence, US
75 posts

#6. "RE: Limited success with manual" | In response to Reply # 5

Thu 26-Jul-12 12:20 PM

Okay I got the nook thingy figured out. Apparently on that small screen it tries to consolidate or condense once in a while when a subject doesnt use a full page and then it just skips the next page. In my case is skipped the last three remaining words in a sentence.

The computer version was working okay until I accidentally deleted it.

I cant wait to get the manual in book form then I can page back and forth and study the illustrations on my time instead of trying to keep up with the time limit for it shutting itself off.

I can only say if anyone is even a bit new to digital photography or to the 700 this book is a must have. I have learned so much and Im only up to page 170 so far.

Ive even discovered that I misjudged my older Sony camera. It had many of the same features as the 700 and I never really learned how to use them because I didnt understand what they were for. But thats okay it still has a place in my photography, moreso now that I can figure it out.

If youve bought the book happy reading if not its a must have at least for us newbies to digital.

Karen

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3330 posts

#7. "RE: Limited success with manual" | In response to Reply # 6

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Fri 27-Jul-12 10:13 AM | edited Fri 27-Jul-12 10:15 AM by ajdooley

Karen -- I'll second the vote for Martin Evening's book on Photoshop for Photographers. Too many book on PS focus more on graphics. I also like Dave Busch's D700 book. I find him more thorough and easier to follow in terms of logic than any other camera guru. He also doesn't seem to be striving to become a stand-up comedian like a few. Look on Amazon and you can read sample pages. BTW - I'm with you on reading books vs. Nook/Kindle versions. Give me a book. (Except Nikon or General Motors owners manuals!) I can highlight, add notes, flip back and forth to things easily, etc. I have had Busch's book for more than a year and I pick it up about once a month now, and just open it and start reading. My on;ly gripe is that it is too heavy to read in bed! I invariably find something new to introduce to my shooting. Oh -- and welcome to the D700 world.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Bearsmom2

Florence, US
75 posts

#8. "RE: Limited success with manual" | In response to Reply # 7

Fri 27-Jul-12 06:24 PM

Okay Im up to about 300 pages. I now understand picture controls so I went back and downloaded all the ones that were recommended. Im fascinated by that AAAStandard one. That one really hits the spot.

Im also going to look for the Photoshop book and the other Nikon D700 manual by Busch. I dont think Ill ever have too many books about this camera.

Im just glad I held off on the 800 for now. I would be totally lost. I think I actually have a chance at mastering this puppy. With the 800 I'd be completely lost.

Thanks for all your good suggestions.

Karen

G