Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Right Angle Viewer

jhearl

Milford, VA, US
465 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jhearl Registered since 16th Apr 2007
Tue 29-May-12 05:57 PM

I will soon be moving to a D800E and my DR-6 right-angle viewer won't fit the round eyepiece. (I know this is a D700 forum, but the eyepiece is the same and I figure there are more D700 owners at this point.) I am somewhat loathe to spend the $200 for the Nikon DR-5 although I use a right angle viewer a lot. I know there are plenty of knockoffs available on Amazon, such as Opteka, Seagull, & Polaroid. However, all of them require some sort of adapter to work with the round eyepiece. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with how well these adapters hold up with frequent use? I don't particularly want to go cheap only to find that the adapter breaks after just a few uses and, again, I use the right-angle viewer a lot and during a shooting session, tend to remove/replace it frequently. Using the DR-6 on my D300 is really easy since it just slips on and off and, frankly, I'm not looking forward to having to screw the thing on and off every time.

One other question for those who may own the DR-5. I've read that it is parfocal (that is, focus doesn't change when you switch from 1x to 2x.) That is not the case with my DR-6 and I know it's not the case with the off-brands. Is it really true that focus doesn't change on the DR-5? If so that would probably make it worth my while to spring for the DR-5.

Thanks in advance for the help -
John

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dancingtuna

robsb

San Jose, US
14957 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#1. "RE: Right Angle Viewer" | In response to Reply # 0

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Tue 29-May-12 10:29 PM

Jhn I never noticed any focus change when I switched from 1X to 2X on my DR6. I use my DR6 on my D700 and D200. I bought an adapter on eBay years ago that just screws on the end of the DR6 to adapt it to the round eyepiece. It works great. If you search this forum, you will most likely come up with the post where I put all the details on where I bought it as this question has been asked before.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

jhearl

Milford, VA, US
465 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#2. "RE: Right Angle Viewer" | In response to Reply # 1

jhearl Registered since 16th Apr 2007
Wed 30-May-12 09:28 AM

Actually, I did do a search and saw where you had posted about buying the adapter, but I wasn't able to find one on Ebay. Maybe they just aren't making them any more. Thanks.

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dancingtuna

G