Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A short observation

2pixels_short

Anchorage, US
892 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
2pixels_short Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Registered since 16th Oct 2003
Sat 26-May-12 07:46 PM

Put an MB-D10 on my D700 and now it is about the size and weight of a Buick.

I hope the extra battery capacity is worth it. I may need to get a Sherpa to pack it around.

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7108 posts

#1. "RE: A short observation" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Sat 26-May-12 06:02 PM

If you just want the extra buttons when in portrait orientation, you can leave out the battery and save on weight.

I like the size with the grip, the weight I just have to live with since I want the extra frame rate.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

genepooleink

Anchorage, US
37 posts

#2. "RE: A short observation" | In response to Reply # 0

genepooleink Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2010
Sun 27-May-12 11:35 PM

Mike,

I added a grip to my D700 and right away I noticed what a great advantage there was going to be with the balance.....in fact I liked it so much I went right down and bought one for my D300 also. Since I bought the grip, I've had at least three experiences where I was in the middle of shooting wildlife when my battery changed over seamlessly. I was very pleased that I did not have to stop and put another battery in the camera. I would have missed some very nice shots had that happened. Especially in the winter, your batteries will go down fast and it's no fun to change batteries in the cold.

I tried shooting with it the other day without the grip and it was so nose-heavy it felt like it was going to tip out of my hand. This is especially true when shooting offhand with a big lens.

Good luck with the grip,

Lee

Lee
Alaska USA

MEMcD

US
31592 posts

#3. "RE: A short observation" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Tue 29-May-12 05:30 AM

Hi Mike,

You just need some time to get used to it.
After decades shooting Pro bodies with Motor Drives and Battery Grips, when I pick up a camera without a grip it feels like a toy to me.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Bob32

Chico, US
5928 posts

#4. "RE: A short observation" | In response to Reply # 0

Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2007
Tue 29-May-12 01:53 PM

Mike,

I had the same experience. The grip added a lot more weight and bulk to my D700 than I had expected. It's not as big and weighty as the 1964 Buick Electra I once owned, but it's getting there! As a result I have not used my grip very much. I may try it again if I'm using one of my light-weight 50 mm. or 85 mm. primes attached to the D700, but not if I have a beast like my 80-200 f/2.8 attached. I like to travel light and am glad to have the D700 where I can opt to leave off the grip if it's going to be a drag to lug the D700/grip combo around all day.

Bob

dbvisions

Ringgold, US
65 posts

#5. "RE: A short observation" | In response to Reply # 0

dbvisions Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jan 2011
Tue 05-Jun-12 01:35 PM

>Put an MB-D10 on my D700 and now it is about the size and
>weight of a Buick.
>
>I hope the extra battery capacity is worth it. I may need to
>get a Sherpa to pack it around.
>
>Mike in Alaska
>

>Visit Fortymile Photo
>

I use my D700 with MB-D10 (w/ 8 AA's) and 70-200 f2.8 lens to shoot horse shows. That is a heavy package and was awful with the standard strap. I got a Blackrapid strap that distributes the weight on my shoulder instead of my neck. From rest to shooting position is one smooth motion. After the first afternoon of shooting I was sold on the system. The only weak point that I have found is that the connection to the camera can become loosened with use and has to be checked to avoid an accidental drop.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nwcs

Knoxville, US
7030 posts

#6. "RE: A short observation" | In response to Reply # 0

nwcs Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Registered since 15th Jan 2006
Tue 05-Jun-12 02:08 PM

I used to leave the MBD10 on mine all the time. But now I rarely use it unless I have to. I only use it with a tripod for now since I have the camera plate for the grip.

I occasionally use it for portrait shoots, too. I've ordered a D800 and I don't expect to buy a grip for it.

jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX
38836 posts

#7. "RE: A short observation" | In response to Reply # 0

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter Member
Thu 07-Jun-12 02:53 AM

Come on!
It feels like a man's tool, balances better, it gives a faster fps rate, extra power, a shutter button for verticals, and it is good exercise

Have a great time :-)
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Mainly at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story
Please join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members who help this happen; upgrade.
Check our workshops at the Nikonians Academy and the Nikonians Photo Pro Shop

TonyJ

Boulder, US
1467 posts

#8. "RE: A short observation" | In response to Reply # 0

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004
Thu 07-Jun-12 11:54 AM | edited Thu 07-Jun-12 11:56 AM by TonyJ

I shoot long hours with the D700 and 70-200 VRII and use a hand strap mostly. It takes getting used to, but with the grip and strap, hangs pretty well at the end of your arm to rest. The strap allows you to release tension on your fingers somewhat to provide relief, as well.

I've also got the Kirk arca-type l-bracket and love how solid that makes the camera body/grip feel. Really adds some protection. Yes, it's a heavy rig, but what a great tool!

Quick note: I've also got the Blackrapid strap that I clip on the rig for support between shoots. I don't really like it connected to the camera when I shoot, though...

D800e l D500 l D600 l D700 l Nikon 1 V1 l N90s l AF-S 16-35 f4 l AF-S 24-85 f3.5-f4.5G VR l AF-S 70-200 f2.8G VRII l AF-S 50 f1.8G l AF-S 300 f4 l 200-500 f/5.6 l TC-14EII l TC-20EIII l 2x SB600 l Autometer IIIF.
http://tonyjohnsonphotos.com
https://www.facebook.com/tony.johnson.photography
My Nikonians Gallery

meohman1

Luling, US
506 posts

#9. "RE: A short observation" | In response to Reply # 0

meohman1 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007
Fri 08-Jun-12 01:51 AM | edited Fri 08-Jun-12 01:53 AM by meohman1

>Put an MB-D10 on my D700 and now it is about the size and
>weight of a Buick.
>
>I hope the extra battery capacity is worth it. I may need to
>get a Sherpa to pack it around.
>
>Mike in Alaska
>

>Visit Fortymile Photo
>

I started with a D80 - I attached the MB-D80 grip.

I went to a D300 and attached the MB-D10 grip.

I bought a D90 as a backup to the D300 and to shoot video. I put the MB-D80 grip on the D90.

At the same time that I bought the D90, I "loaned" my D80 (sans grip and with many, many shutter actuations) to my son-in-law a few years back, and he is still rolling along with it.

I shot the D300 for quite a while, with the D90 as backup

I went to a D7000 and attached the MB-D11 grip. Wow, what a difference between that camera and grip and the D300 and it's grip.

I just went to a D700 and attached the MB-D10 grip from the D300 to the D700. This is a beast of a machine.

I will keep the D300 for backup - I've ordered a Zeikos grip for the D300.

I love the feel of the D700 with the MB-D10 grip. The D7000 - even with the MB-D11 grip - does not feel as comfortable as the big D700 with the grip.

It is a load - and it will give you a workout, but I really like it.

My daughter is now shooting the D90 with the MB-D80 grip. I guess you can say the D90 is now also "loaned" out!

I also really like the fact that I shot the D300 for so long, that now the D700 is already almost second nature - there is no comparison between the D300/D700 camera layout/controls as compared to the D7000 - and for the few pictures I have taken with the D700 - I am as happy as a clam - the pictures are just awesome.

Mike

Photography by Mike - My Nikonians Gallery

slothead

Frederick, US
1906 posts

#10. "RE: A short observation" | In response to Reply # 0

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Aug 2009
Fri 08-Jun-12 10:07 AM

What's wrong with a Buick?

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D810, D750, N1-J5, N1-V3 (and a few other cameras) and a BIG handful of lenses.

musical

north-central, US
1050 posts

#11. "RE: A short observation" | In response to Reply # 10

musical Registered since 12th Feb 2010
Sat 09-Jun-12 04:51 PM

I have the dumbest sense of humor, like writing in a two-word reply, size matters, but that's not even funny. Oh well, maybe one person laughed. I really just need to get more serious about life.

"Shadows are the soul of the picture."/>rick sammon

hpbpe

Acworth, US
99 posts

#12. "RE: A short observation" | In response to Reply # 0

hpbpe Registered since 02nd Jan 2009
Sun 10-Jun-12 10:34 AM

I leave the grip on all the time. I like the balance and the size doesn't bother me.

Hylos Barrett
"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." John Wooden

espeto68

Oeiras, PT
475 posts

#13. "RE: A short observation" | In response to Reply # 12

espeto68 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2010
Sun 10-Jun-12 07:19 PM

+1 with the grip and l-bracket all the time!!!
I do have big hands.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, F80, F Photomic FTn

olivierrychner

Boudry, CH
5260 posts

#14. "RE: A short observation" | In response to Reply # 0

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005
Mon 11-Jun-12 11:56 AM

The size and weight of a Buick maybe - but a better MPG!

More seriously, I like the combo, although today I have left the grip at home. Not only does it double the electric capacity of the machine, but it really balances better. Oh, there are even occasions when the grip comes in handy although I don't shoot in portrait orientation: the other day, shooting flowers in my garden, I found myself lying flat on the floor, holding the camera by the grip for balance and clicking on the side button...

And as the Boss (not Bruce, JRP! ) wrote, it is a man's tool! I like the look on people's faces when I tote a D700 with grip, a 80-200/2.8 mounted on it, and a SB-800 in the hot shoe with a small diffuser for height Sort of a definitive "mine's bigger", so to speak! That of course was already the case with the D300, but it was mitigated by the use of DX lenses...

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

jgould2

Fort Pierce, US
4628 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#15. "RE: A short observation" | In response to Reply # 0

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007
Mon 11-Jun-12 03:27 PM

Hi all.

I have grips on my D200-D300-D700. That way they feel more like my D2h-D2x-D3s. I also use L-brackets on all six so they are always ready for attachment to my tripod or BlackRapid strap. For me this feels like the norm and I like the balance of the extra size and weight. Everyone needs to find their own preference for different conditions of course but with the removable grips that's easy. Mine stay on all the time.

I really like the increased battery capability and use EN-EL4a batteries in my D300 and D700 grips as well as the batteries in the cameras. I consider a camera without a vertical shutter release to be crippled. To each his own.

It is interesting to note that the D300 and D700 with grips are both larger and heavier than the D2-D3 bodies.

Aren't we lucky to have so many choices?

JIM

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

#16. "RE: A short observation" | In response to Reply # 7

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2005
Mon 11-Jun-12 05:37 PM | edited Mon 11-Jun-12 05:38 PM by ZoneV

>Come on!
>It feels like a man's tool, balances better, it gives a faster
>fps rate, extra power, a shutter button for verticals, and it
>is good exercise

JRP,

The character Tim from the former TV show "Home Improvment" (played by actor Tim Allen) would definitely have liked the battery grip on his D700 if he had one...but something would likely have exploaded when he modified the wiring to juice it up even more.

That said, I prefer the integrated-grip bodies when push comes to shove...which incidentally have better balance and are slightly more compact and lighter in weight than the D700 with MB-D10.

But if someone wants real weight, they need to try an F3 with MD-4...

Nikon user since 2000

ala1bama

US
7 posts

#18. "RE: A short observation" | In response to Reply # 0

ala1bama Registered since 03rd May 2009
Thu 21-Jun-12 12:40 AM

I love my Buick Enclave almost as much as my D700 with the grip installed.....2 wonderful machines.....

Jason Walker

www.gorgasphoto.com

pqtrths

Roseville, CA, US
1016 posts

#19. "RE: A short observation" | In response to Reply # 15

pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd May 2007
Fri 22-Jun-12 12:39 PM

> I really like the increased battery capability and use EN-EL4a batteries in my D300 and D700 grips as well as the batteries in the cameras. I consider a camera without a vertical shutter release to be crippled. To each his own. <

I concur with all the points made here. First time I used two batteries in the grip for the D200, I waited for a camera prompt to switch batteries - happened seamlessly. The D3-type battery that's available for the D700 grip will provide even greater capacity. I have large hands so the camera/grip combination balances and handles well for me and enables single-handed use.

> Aren't we lucky to have so many choices? <

Remember 30 years ago when Nikon life was a choice between a Nikon F2, F2S, or a used F, or a Nikormat EL or FT2? Body choice was relatively easy; lens choice, however, was the hard one. And when the EL was introduced, so much photographers proclaimed, "There goes the neighborhood." Now the F2S plus MD2/battery compartment was heavy - late 50's Cadalac heavy!

Mp

G