Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

I'd like to know how to set non-cpu lense data on my D700

herbnapa

Napa, US
128 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
herbnapa Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2009
Sat 26-May-12 12:19 AM

I have a Kiron 70-210 f4.5 lens which I believe is similar to the Vivitar Series 1 lenses made by Kiron. In the Non-Cpu Lens menu, do I need to set a series of different focal lengths and with the minimum aperture, and then shoot in Manual or Aperture priority mode? I haven't been able to adjust exposure length in either mode, but have been able to adjust it the exposure compensation meter.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

herbnapa

Napa, US
128 posts

#1. "RE: I'd like to know how to set non-cpu lense data on my D700" | In response to Reply # 0

herbnapa Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Dec 2009
Sat 26-May-12 11:14 PM

In an effort to stem the flood of replies to my query, I'll report that it was not difficult at all. Below is a picture I took of downtown Napa this moring using the Kiron lens on my D800.

herbnapa

Napa, US
128 posts

#2. "RE: I'd like to know how to set non-cpu lense data on my D700" | In response to Reply # 1

Sat 26-May-12 11:32 PM

One more try..

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

adcam

Portland, US
598 posts

#3. "RE: I'd like to know how to set non-cpu lense data on my D700" | In response to Reply # 2

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007
Sun 27-May-12 12:16 AM

Nice shot! Goes to show the D800 can get great pics with any lens.

herbnapa

Napa, US
128 posts

#4. "RE: I'd like to know how to set non-cpu lense data on my D700" | In response to Reply # 3

Sun 27-May-12 12:59 AM

Mistype there. D700

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7064 posts

#5. "RE: I'd like to know how to set non-cpu lense data on my D700" | In response to Reply # 0

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Sun 27-May-12 06:08 AM

I previously thought about adding my 2 cents to this thread, but the only non-cpu lens I have is a 500mm f/8 mirror lens. Since the length and aperture are both fixed, entering the numbers is simple.

How to deal with the variable length and aperture is not quite as clear in the manual as it could be.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

glxman

South Australia, AU
6651 posts

#6. "RE: I'd like to know how to set non-cpu lense data on my D700" | In response to Reply # 0

glxman Moderator Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008
Sun 27-May-12 09:11 AM | edited Sun 27-May-12 09:23 AM by glxman

OK,
Here we go,
1.Turn Camera on
2. Press menu
3. Scroll down to set-up menu
4. Scroll right and scroll down to Non CPU lens data
5. Scroll right, then down
6. Enter Lens number
7. Enter focal length
8. Enter Maximum aperture
9. Scroll back up to "Done" and press OK

Lastly,
Your camera will not adjust for Zoom, so unfortunately you will have to pick some other focal lengths to choose from when zooming, I would start with every 100mm and do some testing

There are other options such as programing the Fn button and adding to "My menu" but some more reading of the manual is the go,
Have fun,
Regards,
Gary
PS: Have sent you a PM, which I guess you can ignore now as I am off fly fishing for a week, I am not totally sure how you go about this without missing a few mm but would suggest every 100mm to start with and try it out, that would mean, if zoom to 200mm for example, you would have to adjust the non-CPU data to suit, rather laborious I guess

I used to have a photographic memory but never got it developed

glxman

South Australia, AU
6651 posts

#7. "RE: I'd like to know how to set non-cpu lense data on my D700" | In response to Reply # 0

glxman Moderator Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008
Sun 27-May-12 10:55 PM

Just a thought,
It may only work on Nikon non-CPU lenses?
Not sure but that could be a problem?
Regards,
Gary

I used to have a photographic memory but never got it developed

G